Tank Aggro Cap

Solarverse

13 hours ago, JesterNR said:

Is it feasible to implement an option for aggro limit similar to +4/x8 so that individual teams can choose, or is it limited to a serverwide setting?  All I've read so far is people saying that they'd like one or the other... while nobody seems to be asking if its possible to have both.  Seems the best option to me... if its possible.

From what I understand, the aggro cap is a setting of enemy AI, and hence universal. Thus I don't think it can be adjusted at the local scale.

38 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Increased aggro caps are by and large a difficulty increase for solo play and a difficulty decrease for group play.  They would also increase the efficiency of farming.

I'd say for solo it's more like irrelevant than an increase or decrease.  There's no body to share the aggro with except your pets.  And in any case it's pretty much 100% under the character/players control.  You've got no one but yourself (or maybe your pets) to blame if you aggro too much.

27 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I'd say for solo it's more like irrelevant than an increase or decrease.  There's no body to share the aggro with except your pets.  And in any case it's pretty much 100% under the character/players control.  You've got no one but yourself (or maybe your pets) to blame if you aggro too much.

It's certainly easy enough to make it irrelevant solo, especially if your difficulty settings are anything less than x7 or x8.  But there are potentially ambushes, and there are places where it's genuinely difficult not to aggro two different spawns.

You could make it more of a strict increase in difficulty if you said, "enemies beyond 17 will aggro you if they have literally no other options, but you are the very last priority on their threat table once you have 17 main opponents."  That would mean you could attract more hate, but could not keep it, so it would presumably prevent it from being usefully possible for a tank to gather up several spawns.

That would still increase the efficiency of farming, though.

Edited by aethereal

28 minutes ago, aethereal said:

It's certainly easy enough to make it irrelevant solo, especially if your difficulty settings are anything less than x7 or x8.  But there are potentially ambushes, and there are places where it's genuinely difficult not to aggro two different spawns.

I'll give you ambushes could throw a nasty wrinkle on things especially on high(er) team size settings.  But even then there's usually cues in chat etc.. the player should catch.  Ultimately even if it is increasing the difficult it does fall back to the player, no one else there.  Guess you say that makes it relevant to the player.  But that's more special case(s) than a "by and large" situation.

That's odd somehow didn't quote your whole post. Ah were both busy editting/typing 😄

Edited by Doomguide2005

I think the agro cap is well balanced for most AT's. I am also persuaded that a permanent increase does remove threat for other AT's. Though I think it's fun to get past the agro cap in some instances. This is primarily done with pets that get their own agro but go along with you. So if wanting to get past the normal agro caps I would suggest having them summon an invisible psuedo-pet of some kind that gains it's own agro and follows directly on the player. I would also suggest tying that into a Tier 9 power with their long recharges to not make it always up. These are just some thoughts I had while thinking through how to mechanically make it happen and not have it be too powerful.