Installing Mods

Savantir

All mods work through the 'data' folder in your CoH directory. So if your install directory is C:\Games\CoH, mods will need to go in C:\Games\CoH\data. If the 'data' folder is not there then simply create it. Many mods will come pre-loaded with the right directory structure as is required within that 'data' folder. For instance, if you want to install Vanden's Power Icon Pack, download the zip file and look inside to see it contains 'data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Powers', with all the relevant files located in that last 'Powers' folder. Copy the 'texture_library' folder into your game 'data' folder and that should be all you need to do. The finished install should look like:

C:\Games\CoH\data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Powers

Mods for other things like sounds and maps go within that same 'data' folder. Basically the game overrides any default files with files it finds inside that 'data' folder. If you want to stop using a particular mod simply either delete it's associated files/folders or move them outside the 'data' folder.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
  • Like 1

• 5 months later
On 10/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

All mods work through the 'data' folder in your CoH directory. So if your install directory is C:\Games\CoH, mods will need to go in C:\Games\CoH\data. If the 'data' folder is not there then simply create it. Many mods will come pre-loaded with the right directory structure as is required within that 'data' folder. For instance, if you want to install Vanden's Power Icon Pack, download the zip file and look inside to see it contains 'data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Powers', with all the relevant files located in that last 'Powers' folder. Copy the 'texture_library' folder into your game 'data' folder and that should be all you need to do. The finished install should look like:

C:\Games\CoH\data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Powers

Mods for other things like sounds and maps go within that same 'data' folder. Basically the game overrides any default files with files it finds inside that 'data' folder. If you want to stop using a particular mod simply either delete it's associated files/folders or move them outside the 'data' folder.

Hi. Do you how to install on mac?

3 hours ago, Robertium77 said:

I don't, sorry. I imagine the folder setup is similar but I don't play on a Mac so I do not know for sure.

6 hours ago, Robertium77 said:

Island Rum creates a folding at /Applications/coh (at least on my machine, you can change it), just create the data folder in there and unzip / copy the files same as you would for windows

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 4:02 PM, Ernesto said:

Island Rum creates a folding at /Applications/coh (at least on my machine, you can change it), just create the data folder in there and unzip / copy the files same as you would for windows

I Did it. But nothing...  is there only one file with Data?

• Retired Game Master

Client mods in City of Heroes use the Data folder as an overlay.  To explain: the fonts.pigg has a list of files in it.  Most importantly, REDCIRCL.TTF.  That's the font that everyone knows and loves to be the main City of Heroes UI Font for all the titles and headings.  To replace it, you'd place a file in the Data folder:

/data/fonts/REDCIRCL.TTF

1. You would need to find a font you want to replace with Red Circle.  Let's say Arial for some reason.  You'd copy arial.ttf from your font folder (or find it somewhere since Windows has moved on to OpenType) and rename it REDCIRCL.TTF, then copy it to the folder path above.

2. To undo the change: simply delete the file.  Nothing in the Data folder is necessary to run the game.

The game client would have to know what the file name is in the first place, you can't stick any font name in the folder and hope the client picks it up.  It must match an existing in-game file.  This is the method VidiotMaps used to make their map overlays.  By placing the corrected maps in the Data folder at the precise folder location where it would be in the game .pigg files, the client loads them instead of the .pigg default files.  To undo the modification, delete the Vidiot Maps and the client reverts back to the original copies in the .pigg files.

That's how client mods works, in a nutshell.  Does that help?

• Retired Game Master
5 minutes ago, Robertium77 said:

Is it the same for symbols or costume parts?

Yes with the caveat that only you would see the symbols and parts.  Client Mods are local-only, not sent to others.

• Retired Game Master

You'd have to seek help from whoever made the mod you're trying to use.  It looks like you found the data folder alright, at least.

The above post was how it was explained to me a few years ago.  The only one I've tried to install is VidiotMaps, and it wasn't here.  (An even older conversation in the same place.  No warranties or promises on those files still being there.)  Oubliette_Red also has an explanation of how to edit/replace in-game audio.  Same Data folder.

If it's other in-game assets, the conversation is better held in a different forum.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

17 minutes ago, GM Tahquitz said:

You'd have to seek help from whoever made the mod you're trying to use.  It looks like you found the data folder alright, at least.

The above post was how it was explained to me a few years ago.  The only one I've tried to install is VidiotMaps, and it wasn't here.  Oubliette_Red also has an explanation of how to edit/replace in-game audio.  Same Data folder.

If it's other in-game assets, the conversation is better held in a different forum.

Thank you so much.