Jump to content

Erroneous Power Icon Fix Pack


Recommended Posts

AKA Vanden's Power Icon Pack. Back during Live I put together a pack that fixed a few dozen icons that were wrong somehow, for example having erroneous borders, or mismatched colors, or swapped with another power, etc. I've had a few people ask me about it, so I put it back together for people to download.

 

Here is the link to the download.

 

The pack contains 250 replacement icon files. There's a readme in the download that lists the changes. To install it, you copy the "data" folder in the .zip into the same folder where you have City of Heroes installed, much like the VidiotMaps pack.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should we note erroneous icons here? Because I've noticed that Sentinel Electricity's Paralyzing Jolt and Lightning Field are dark purple instead of matching the colors of the rest of the set with this included.

 

It doesn't hurt, but right now I have no ability to make new icons; the PiggViewer program I used back in the day doesn't work to make new .texture files in Windows 10, and everything in the download is from 7+ years ago.

 

I'm not surprised that it causes some weirdness with Sentinels; I haven't played them since the servers came online so I'm in the dark as to what most of their powers look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later
  • 1 month later
On 6/28/2019 at 7:17 PM, Vanden said:

AKA Vanden's Power Icon Pack. Back during Live I put together a pack that fixed a few dozen icons that were wrong somehow, for example having erroneous borders, or mismatched colors, or swapped with another power, etc. I've had a few people ask me about it, so I put it back together for people to download.

 

Here is the link to the download.

 

The pack contains 250 replacement icon files. There's a readme in the download that lists the changes. To install it, you copy the "data" folder in the .zip into the same folder where you have City of Heroes installed, much like the VidiotMaps pack.

Hope this is an OK place to ask an icon question.  I just started a Sonic/Energy Defender, and I really don't like the icons for Sonic, especially for the two sonic "bubbles".  The icons are a bland metallic color and I find it much more difficult to quick look at my teammates buff bars to see if the bubbles have been applied.  Is there a way to change the icon on my client to be something more easily seen in my teammates' buff bars (team screen list, clicked the pointing right arrow)?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sura said:

Hope this is an OK place to ask an icon question.  I just started a Sonic/Energy Defender, and I really don't like the icons for Sonic, especially for the two sonic "bubbles".  The icons are a bland metallic color and I find it much more difficult to quick look at my teammates buff bars to see if the bubbles have been applied.  Is there a way to change the icon on my client to be something more easily seen in my teammates' buff bars (team screen list, clicked the pointing right arrow)?

 

Thanks!

If you can find software that will convert images into the .texture files used for icon files, you can make the icons be whatever you want. I don't know what software that is, though, because what I used years ago to make the custom icons doesn't work on Windows 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later

The .texture just looks like it is a .dds with a header that points to where it goes. You should be able to create a 32x32 .dds image, grab the header from the .texture file your replacing with a hex editor, and then paste that header onto the .dds with the editor. Then just rename the .dds to the .texture your replacing. Haven't tried it yet, so might not work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Vanden: Out of curiosity, do you intend on updating this for the I25/HC changes? If not, is it possible to get info from you about the format and how these textures are edited? A quick search didn't bring up anything notable, though admittedly I've been more focused on gathering up all of the locations/files for old mods. Sounds like you were having trouble with PiggViewer? I'm stubborn and have way too much time on my hands, so I may be able to figure something out. 😛

 

EDIT:
Looks like the new tool is Piglet? Working to get VS2019 installed now so I can compile it and take a look.

Edited by Felis Noctu
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

   
Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Felis Noctu said:

@Vanden: Out of curiosity, do you intend on updating this for the I25/HC changes? If not, is it possible to get info from you about the format and how these textures are edited? A quick search didn't bring up anything notable, though admittedly I've been more focused on gathering up all of the locations/files for old mods. Sounds like you were having trouble with PiggViewer? I'm stubborn and have way too much time on my hands, so I may be able to figure something out. 😛

 

EDIT:
Looks like the new tool is Piglet? Working to get VS2019 installed now so I can compile it and take a look.

I would like to update with new icons if it was possible, yes. I've got Piglet, but it doesn't seem to be able to make new .texture files. But also, I can't actually find any of the i25 icons, like the new Blaster secondaries or Sentinel powers. Piglet can open multiple piggs at once, but even so I can't find anything they added for i25. So I'm at a loss there.

 

As for making the custom icons, there's not much to it. Someone at the Titan Network made an Icon Compiler program that let you combine any color schemes and symbols and export it as a TARGA file, which they let me use. I'd just make the icon I wanted, then PiggViewer would let you copy the header from the right icon file with a bitmap or TARGA to make the .texture file. So really, my role in the process is just as the guy anal enough to scrutinize all the icons and make replacements where I found inconsistencies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahh, targa, cool. So we just need to figure out how to build the texture files again, since Piglet doesn't seem to be able to do it?

 

Also, since you're floating around, do you have any objections to me including your work on the CoH mods archive site I've started throwing together? Just files at the moment, getting the content up first.
https://github.com/FelesNoctis/library_of_ouroboros/

mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

   
Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was there a specific problem you were having with PiggViewer? If you haven't gotten it functional, you'll need to run it in compatibility mode for Windows Visa (Service Pack 2). It looks like it's throwing up a .NET framework when trying to view textures due to the DDS.dll being incorrectly handled. Doesn't surprise me that they'd be using the DDS format, but I'm not sure how that could be resolved. I don't know if we can get a copy of .NET old enough to properly load it.

 

EDIT:

"But also, I can't actually find any of the i25 icons, like the new Blaster secondaries or Sentinel powers. Piglet can open multiple piggs at once, but even so I can't find anything they added for i25."


I was able to extract icons from the Homecoming-specific PIGGs (they're in the /homecoming folder).

archetypeicon_guardian.dds

archetypeicon_sentinel.dds

atomicmanipulation_decay.dds

Edited by Felis Noctu
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

   
Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Felis Noctu said:

Was there a specific problem you were having with PiggViewer? If you haven't gotten it functional, you'll need to run it in compatibility mode for Windows Visa (Service Pack 2). It looks like it's throwing up a .NET framework when trying to view textures due to the DDS.dll being incorrectly handled. Doesn't surprise me that they'd be using the DDS format, but I'm not sure how that could be resolved. I don't know if we can get a copy of .NET old enough to properly load it.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem I have. I can get it to run, but it can't actually do anything with the .texture files.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I was able to extract and create new .texture files with the old 1.61 version, I just can't preview them in PiggViewer itself. The swaps work in both the 32- and 64-bit versions of CoH, so good news there as well.

spacer.png

 

I (hope I) sent you messages on Discord as well about it. If you're unable to get the texture file manipulation working, but you have the rest of the tools, I'd be more than happy to team up. I don't mind being annoyed by error messages if it means making progress! 😛

 

EDIT:
Oh, and as for Piglet, I'm unable to build it. Not sure why, other than the code errors that pop up during the process. After several attempts I got frustrated and went back to install literally everything related to C++ compilation in VS2019 and it STILL fails, but I assume other people have done it successfully, so I have no idea what I'm missing.

Edited by Felis Noctu
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

   
Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later
  • 2 weeks later

Hey @Vanden I just downloaded both that one and the other one and got this message upon game crash when launching.

File "texture_library/GUI/Icons/Enhancements/E_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.texture" is misnamed, containing texture named "E_ICON_AchillesHeel"!

I have since deleted both mods and I'm still getting the crash along with the same message. Is there any fix to this or will I need to redownload CoH from scratch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hm, that's the file for Achilles' Heel IOs, not something my mod should be affecting. From the error message, it looks like whatever mod it's part of, for some reason named the file "E_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.textureE_ICON_AchillesHeel.texture" (basically a copy-paste snafu). You probably could have fixed it by deleting just that file, or renaming it "E_ICON_AchillesHeel.texture".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...