Time/water help :-)

Xip

hey gang!

i'm currently working on a time/water defender which is a TON of fun! I have some questions that i hope you'll be able to help me with. To be honest I have no clue about to slot or IO, or any helps on build would be very much appreciated!

How is the -regen on time hold? Good enough to worth getting?

Would you slot -def in water attacks?

And what about Chromo? +end IO's?

Thank you 🙂

The -regen in time hold is not worth it even if used in conjunction with time's crawl, I would skip them both. 

I would not slot -def in water attacks, I might slot an achilles -res proc though that is a -def IO. 

Time is a very end heavy set, especially because it gives you so much recharge that you use your attacks much more often. However, the +recov in chronoshift only lasts for 30 seconds, you will probably get more out of slotting it with heal IOs than with +end, but your mileage may vary.

I would also take dark mastery as this will allow you to have perma soul drain, dark embrace, and dark consumption (for some end recov but on a long recharge). You could take soul mastery for the power boost however, but then you get soul drain on a much longer recharge that is not possible to perma. 

I would also build a proc build as time on a defender generally has more than enough defense and could use more dmg. 

I could use some help in this area as well. Just have a few question. 

1. what are the must have powers and which ones should I avoid?

2. I plan on going with super speed for travel, but past that I'm not sure what power pool I should be looking at.

thanks for any help given.

Hi,

So I don't want to claim to be some guru... I'm just an ordinary guy with extraordinary powers and a desire to right wrongs.  As I came back to the game after missing the freemium model and these were new power sets to me, I approached my build while leveling as to try to try out the primary and secondary powers and learned what works well.  Once leveled I borrowed heavily from configs posted in the old forums...  A guy called Time Bandit was the main influence and Linea was the source I had originally intended to copy.

The Water powers were not in these builds so I used my own experience to date and decided that I wanted a good bit of AOE which is nice for clearing mobs.  On the Time side I wanted to try and hold on to Temporal Selection.  However on the Water Side I miss Dehydrate which I miss on single target AV fights especially when soling.  I am considering swapping out Tidal Forces for Dehydrate but I've not made this move (TS would be another option) as it's a hard call.

Time is endurance heavy so I wanted Conserve Power for those situations where Endurance buffs are lacking, things are heavy going and endurance is running low then I hit it and keep rolling.  On TFs you will usually find that End isn't an issue due to all the buffs that are running.  I wouldn't mind having some stealth (Celerity in Super Speed) in the build for running the CoT solo but cannot face respecing to acheive this at the moment.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120906160921/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=294668

Here's my build or at least as well as I could recreate it...

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.5
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Temeraire: Level 50 Science Defender
Primary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Secondary Power Set: Water Blast
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Temporal Mending -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(5), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(5), DctWnd-Heal(15), DctWnd-Rchg(15), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(48)
Level 2: Time's Juncture -- DarWtcDsp-Slow%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(7), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(7), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(11)
Level 4: Hover -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(13), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 6: Water Burst -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dam%(37)
Level 8: Distortion Field -- BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(9), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(9), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(11)
Level 10: Whirlpool -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(46)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(17), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(17)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 16: Time Stop -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48)
Level 18: Farsight -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(21), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GifoftheA-Def/Rchg(21)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), GifoftheA-Def(23), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(25)
Level 22: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(25), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(31), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), RctArm-ResDam(50)
Level 28: Water Jet -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), GifoftheA-Def(33), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(34)
Level 32: Chrono Shift -- DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(33), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29), DctWnd-Heal(33), DctWnd-Rchg(34)
Level 35: Power Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 38: Slowed Response -- ShlBrk-DefDeb(A), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(42), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(42), ShlBrk-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(42), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlBrk-%Dam(50)
Level 41: Temporal Selection -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 44: Geyser -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(39), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), PstBls-Dam%(40), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Temp Invulnerability -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(39), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), RctArm-ResDam(45)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Ion Total Core Judgement 
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 50: Spiritual Core Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Total Core Conversion 
Level 50: Carnival Partial Core Improved Ally 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment 
------------

I don't claim that it's perfect.  It's still WIP.  I am open to advice on the IO sets and upgrades.

Cheers,

Temeraire

Edited by AWOL
Formating

I would personally take Power Mastery over Dark or Soul Mastery. Power Build Up paired with Foresight can have a massive effect on your survival, or the survival of your buddies.

i have a friend whose Time/Psy Defender uses both Power Build Up and Clarion Radial Epiphany with their buffs to give a permanent 47% defense boost to the entire team. I find that much more worthwhile than Soul Drain.

12 minutes ago, Mercurias said:

I would personally take Power Mastery over Dark or Soul Mastery. Power Build Up paired with Foresight can have a massive effect on your survival, or the survival of your buddies.

i have a friend whose Time/Psy Defender uses both Power Build Up and Clarion Radial Epiphany with their buffs to give a permanent 47% defense boost to the entire team. I find that much more worthwhile than Soul Drain.

I use PBU, Support Radial Embodiment, then Farsight.  I may try squeezing Chronoshift on the back of that but it's usually the Radial and farsight.

5 minutes ago, Mercurias said:

Soul mastery gives power boost which does the same thing as power build up, but it also gives you soul drain on a longer recharge than dark mastery. On a defender clarion radial+farsight gives 30% defense to all, which at lvl 50 is enough to cap almost every build (at 50), which is why I would go with dark mastery so you can have perma soul drain. Now, you are welcome to go power mastery or soul mastery to add the full 45-47% defense to all, but 95% of the time that extra defense is unneeded.

The problem with going power mastery over soul mastery in my opinion is that it gives you nothing that soul mastery doesn't also give. With dark embrace and tough, you will already be at the s/l resist cap, so the higher numbers on temporary invulnerability is wasted and at least dark embrace gives you negative resistance also. The slotting of soul drain also offers more attractive options than any attack in power mastery. You can slot soul drain with a 20% -res fury of the gladiator proc, which allows you to boost the dmg of the whole team not just your own at a 90% proc rate. 

Whether to go dark mastery or soul mastery depends on whether you want to give your team +20% def or +32%, (if you are using clarion radial also these numbers are +32% or +42% respectively and even more if you take the agility alpha) but you should always go soul mastery over power mastery in my opinion (unless there are character concept concerns). 

Give in to your true nature. You control the flow of damage not only for yourself, but also your team. You control the field of battle from it's ebb to it's apex and back again. Forget the cutters of cookies. There are only two true choices for you Dark and Psi for your epic. In each there is one truly defining power: Soul Transfer or World of Confusion.

Seriously, with water kdown backing you up, you can easily forego the usual "gimme all the resistance and defense I can get" kinda build and just layer on some unusual but significant "other" powers.

WoC (with contagious confusion) lets you stand right in the middle of the fight and turn baddies a plenty to your side and Soul Transfer gives you a deadly mag 30 stun which is just such a blast to lay down. Once you are over the "I'll get debt" thing you will even look for times to use it on purpose to prove how awesome you are.

Either way, you can back it up with like Rune of Prot to give you uber levels of feeling like a tank mage.

Here's how quick you can build up your defenses.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Secondary Power Set: Archery
Power Pool: Sorcery
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: [Empty]
Level 1: Snap Shot -- Empty(A)
Level 2: [Empty]
Level 4: [Empty]
Level 6: [Empty]
Level 8: [Empty]
Level 10: [Empty]
Level 12: [Empty]
Level 14: [Empty]
Level 16: [Empty]
Level 18: Farsight -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 20: [Empty]
Level 22: [Empty]
Level 24: [Empty]
Level 26: [Empty]
Level 28: [Empty]
Level 30: [Empty]
Level 32: Chrono Shift -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Dominate -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Arcane Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 41: World of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(42), CrcPrs-Conf(42), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(42), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(43), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Max HP%(46)
Level 47: Mystic Flight -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Rune of Protection -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
Level 50: Clarion Radial Epiphany
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
------------

Edited by Ankhammon

24 minutes ago, Ankhammon said:

WoC (with contagious confusion) lets you stand right in the middle of the fight and turn baddies a plenty to your side and Soul Transfer gives you a deadly mag 30 stun which is just such a blast to lay down. Once you are over the "I'll get debt" thing you will even look for times to use it on purpose to prove how awesome you are.

Scrapperlock

• A state of mind where the player (most commonly a Scrapper or Brute) dashes from foe to foe without regard to surroundings. Similar to berserkers, players in Scrapperlock may fail to notice damage being taken by themselves or their teammates.
  • It should be noted it's considered bad form to wipe out the 8-man spawn that killed everybody else on the team.
  • Common symptoms include going the other way than the team, surviving going the other way than the team, and the words "You guys go ahead, I'm waiting for my rez to recharge."
  • Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

12 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Scrapperlock

• A state of mind where the player (most commonly a Scrapper or Brute) dashes from foe to foe without regard to surroundings. Similar to berserkers, players in Scrapperlock may fail to notice damage being taken by themselves or their teammates.
  • It should be noted it's considered bad form to wipe out the 8-man spawn that killed everybody else on the team.
  • Common symptoms include going the other way than the team, surviving going the other way than the team, and the words "You guys go ahead, I'm waiting for my rez to recharge."

Other players on your team. Bah Humbug!

I practice Zenned Scrapperlock thank you very much. I still don't pay attention to most others, but I'm smart enough to make sure I show up a quarter second behind the tank/brute.😄

Hey Redlynne, I know you are a Kevin O'Connor level builder so let me ask you a real question. Utilizing the kdown and maybe a TP to get you into a crowd and then the slows and HoTs you get with Time should be more than sufficient to survive an alpha strike sent for a team, correct?

For me Time/H2O is more thought experiment than anything I've played or even seen live in game.

My only Time builds are/were a Time/Ice that gave me severe scrapperlock but just about brute level survival skills due to all the slows and holds from ice and a Time/Elec which is not as strong but a heckuva lot of fun to play.

9 hours ago, Ankhammon said:

Utilizing the kdown and maybe a TP to get you into a crowd and then the slows and HoTs you get with Time should be more than sufficient to survive an alpha strike sent for a team, correct?

DEPENDS ...

First of all, if you attack $Targets with Knock Protections (Cimerorans) that tactic won't work the way you're thinking it might.

I'd rather rely on -ToHit combined with +Defense to achieve the necessary NO GET HITSU!! you'd need to "neutralize" an alpha strike and that you'd want to use Knock as the "backup plan" for that, rather than the primary plan for how to mitigate that incoming damage.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

33 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

DEPENDS ...

First of all, if you attack $Targets with Knock Protections (Cimerorans) that tactic won't work the way you're thinking it might.

I'd rather rely on -ToHit combined with +Defense to achieve the necessary NO GET HITSU!! you'd need to "neutralize" an alpha strike and that you'd want to use Knock as the "backup plan" for that, rather than the primary plan for how to mitigate that incoming damage.

I was thinking time's juncture + D + hots jump in and hit the kb (forgot Cims), then slow bubble and unlease offense. 

I was mostly using all of this madness to kinda emphasize you won't be squishy and can get other things going if you want rather than fighting on the 487th char in a row. Personally, I like Sorcery for time a lot more than fighting. 

I think we are actually on the same page, it's why I liked cold for the secondary for time. slows and -rech added to all the delicious options for time = good NO GET HITSU!!