Storm questions answers, and tips + tricks

ssbmario

Pls keep the "I use THIS blast set to do this and it does blah blah blah" to a dull roar. This topic is focusing on STORM itself and how to make the most of this chaotic mess we call a primary. You only get two blahs, not three.

While ALL blasts sets are lynchpins to any single storm def's success I'm not here to push any one set over another in terms of effectiveness (I'm finding water to be pretty healthy in that regard) but to scratch an old itch of how I wish the set was modified and changed from it's current jack of all to something better for Defender (and yes, that's Corr's, too) use. Controllers seem to be more than fine with their storm powers (Ain't they always been?).

Been playing storm since probably I2 as a "true" storm/elec with fly. Ironically one of the most self-countering sets in the game.

I re-PL'd to 50 and have been running incarnate trials in groups, solo stuff in DA at +2 and ITF's. I'm feeling like SNOW STORM isn't cutting it anymore. There has been a questioned raised as to how effective Snow Storm is by a PvPing earth/storm troller and that it's not nearly as effective as quicksand (and therefor tarpatch, liquefy, and so many others). I know there have been tweaks to the game since live and while I have kept my Mids and every few months theory crafted new builds all this time I'm finding some surprising changes having been made. I'm now upgraded to Pines and with these new powerpool sets and uber IOs I'm finding we can really push a huge envelope in some directions. As a Tank I'm pretty damn awesome for a squishy having only died once on a three melee ITF of scrapper, brute, and stalker and that was when Romu-Nictus Mired me and somehow insta killed me with his OPENING mire... still ticked about it. He had like a 9.75% chance to hit and I was just insta killed. I was the one that charged in for tanking the alpha, btw. I WAS putting myself into the line of fire but I had been more than strong enough the entire ITF so...

My real problem is Snowstorm... My build is INSANELY tight right now and while I've tried different types of slotting I have yet to find Snowstorm to truly be useful. AV's seem to shrug it off, GM's don't know it's there but my end bar sure does.I'm already running 7 toggles while trying to summon LStorm and blast away... and 8th toggle is burning me out stupidly fast.

Has anyone made Snowstorm useful to the point of locking down end game content bosses? Do I have to 6 slot the thing with end redux and slows? If so... why not drop the power for the Res from med pool so I am a more useful healer and take those two slots (extra) and put them somewhere else? Proc'ing hurricane, for one. More in O2 boost... or Hover for movement speed. Or even get TBlast for that extra punch with 2 acc/dmg and 1 dmg/rng HO? Or tactics?

Let me real world it for you guys: As storm skirted tank do I need Snowstorm? If it seems to be unaffecting AV and GM's then I don't need it there, and unless we're in the middle of a 20+ mobs due to over pull I don't need it in a standard mob pull either. I floor all but bosses Accuracy between my Hurricane and stacked DEF. With Freezing Rain couldn't I slot KD or immobile proc's as well as slows in it and forgo Snowstorm? Has anyone ever had a moment when they said "Phew! Thank god I had Snowstorm"? And if so, compared to how many moments when you said "Thank god for FRain / Hurricane / SMist / LStorm"? I'm thinking the number is probably very, very low.

Me Pre-ED

https://imgur.com/TQMKnss

https://imgur.com/XyBma00

I agree, Snow Storm needs to do more. Since Freezing Rain has -def and -res, how about -dmg or -regen?

I only use Snow Storm if I'm exemped down running low level content and don't have access to my other powers.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

• 3 weeks later
On 10/13/2019 at 11:37 AM, Uun said:

I agree, Snow Storm needs to do more. Since Freezing Rain has -def and -res, how about -dmg or -regen?

I only use Snow Storm if I'm exemped down running low level content and don't have access to my other powers.

Yeah I'd love to see it do -regen! that would def help it stay viable at end game content. I think it would also make sense to add -tohit / -acc because it practically makes it harder to see the groups of mobs in tight quarters, only makes sense for them to have a harder time seeing us too!

I really like snow storm, it's not until I'm on other toons to understand how much I miss it while I'm trying to chase down mobs on my melee character because I never realized how much mobs run away from a fight, lol.

• 3 weeks later

Storm Tip..

Hurricane - If you push mobs too close against the wall with Hurricane they will roll off the side of the wall between your Hurricane and the wall,  thus escaping the Hurricane.  So you need to know/Learn/Practice how much you should push mobs against a wall with Hurricane without having them be pushed out.    

On 11/2/2019 at 1:06 AM, MirrorDarkly said:

That said Storm as a whole brings the pain now and I cannot imagine what it would be like if -regn got added to it as well.

Radiation? Time?

Seriously, Storm is a favorite of mine and Snow Storm is OK, but definitely skippable. I don't really think Storm needs anything added (although I wish they would revert how fast Hurricane ticks in PvE) and Snow Storm does just enough to be a worthwhile power with minimal slotting, I often keep it just for the -Fly.

Edited by StratoNexus

• 1 month later

I figured that the -62.5% recharge reduction to the main $target was the real selling point of Snowstorm. I'm unsure whether it affects any surrounding friends or if they're just slowed & -flown, but Freezing Rain's -50% alone won't de-buff to that cap of -75%, am I right?

Edited by Fimbulwinter
Whups, Freezing Rain, not Hurricane. That'd be too awesome.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, Fimbulwinter said:

I figured that the -62.5% recharge reduction to the main $target was the real selling point of Snowstorm. I'm unsure whether it affects any surrounding friends or if they're just slowed & -flown, but Freezing Rain's -50% alone won't de-buff to that cap of -75%, am I right?

The tricky part is that +4 enemies only receive 48% of a Recharge debuff. Against +4 enemies your stats are:

• Freezing Rain: -24
  • Snow Storm: -30

So together they are -54 against +4s. 

If you happen to be a Psi Blast secondary you can potentially cap off the -Recharge with a Psionic Tornado (-18 vs +4s). 

What really holds Snow Storm back is the animation time rarely is worth it. (The endurance cost is a factor too). If there were some way to apply it with no cast animation (maybe 0.1 seconds just so its not literally free) it would be a lot more useful. 

• Thanks 1