Previous characters/servers?

FatherCronos

Not sure if this is a taboo topic...but just to be sure i'm not missing anything, access to our characters from the previous official servers is definitely gone, correct?  I kind of like the idea of a fresh start, but wouldn't mind having my one & only 50 back 🙂

Currently there is no way to retrieve Live accounts and characters. NC Soft is still in possession of the only copy of the Database for everything.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

9 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

Currently there is no way to retrieve Live accounts and characters. NC Soft is still in possession of the only copy of the Database for everything.

Well maybe, they have denied having it, though some are unconvinced

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Have they actually denied it or just denied the option?

I think it came down to a few things.

One: Giving people an unfair advantage when the server was first launched. Of course, now that wouldn't be an issue.

Two: The code being a mess as Matt Miller once said, locating it is not just a click away. With a handful of parameters, it's possible to locate, but then you'd have to assign a whole team of handling that much more work for everyone on the server. That in itself is a big undertaking. The easiest solution would be to just not make that option available.

Three: And this is a personal opinion. The fresh start is much more fun. I'm thankful for what we have. Good enough for me.

Edited by brigg

ArcID #125 Bloody Rainbow: Comic Con Fire Farm;  ArcID #2551 Comic Con Fire Farm: Cave Edition

ArcID #133 Comic Con S&L Farm;  ArcID #9911 Comic Con S&L Outdoor Edition

ArcID #2915 $Comic Con Fire Farm$;  ArcID #11612 $Comic Con Fire Farm Outdoor Map$

ArcID #16607 $Comic Con S&L Caves$;  ArcID #16610 $Comic Con S&L Outdoor$

I believe there were legal ramifications involved with the database from the "live" days.  More serious than the ones for just running the game stripped of all that, which would have put a bigger target on their back than there already was at the beginning.  I believe that, in order to avoid that level of concern, there was a conscious decision made to not make that data available, and to just start from scratch.  If it meant reducing the chance that NCSoft would come swooping in and end this endeavor before it ever really got going, then I was fine with it.  I had a considerable investment in characters, and a lot of in-game cash at the time of the original closure.  I gladly, and wholeheartedly write that off, if it means we get to have what we have now.

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

2 hours ago, brigg said:

Have they actually denied it or just denied the option?

I think it came down to a few things.

One: Giving people an unfair advantage when the server was first launched. Of course, now that wouldn't be an issue.

Two: The code being a mess as Matt Miller once said, locating it is not just a click away. With a handful of parameters, it's possible to locate, but then you'd have to assign a whole team of handling that much more work for everyone on the server. That in itself is a big undertaking. The easiest solution would be to just not make that option available.

Three: And this is a personal opinion. The fresh start is much more fun. I'm thankful for what we have. Good enough for me.

NC-Soft explicitly said they did not have the database during a set of negotiation now past, they have the user data, but not the game data for the user accounts I believe, it's buried somewhere in the titan forums, there are player databases out there, but for legal reasons they aren't being shared with the server runners, and I believe Homecoming have said they don't want them either, for the above mentioned legal reasons, so the tldr to the original question

No, and not likely to change from no

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

16 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

Well maybe, they have denied having it, though some are unconvinced

I'm certain that someone developed a tool to take a Sentinel+ character archive and load it into a server's database.  I also expect that this is something the Homecoming management will likely not implement. Because it requires connecting into the server database, I would expect that such a tool would be limited to vanity or personal server setups. Importing from the character databases on the  live servers, assuming that those databases even exist, is theoretically possible, although it would require both access to the old character databases and the intention of the server management to do the import, either or both of which I expect we'll find lacking for the 'regular' servers, although again it might be something done for a private or vanity server.

Edited by srmalloy