The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Mastermind Pet Customization (no, not a rehash of this old topic)

JetMalakai

Apparently someone's making a working model of it. There might need to be some tweaks to it in order to get it working with an i26 server, but considering we've gone from "massive project" to "change up an existing project" is there any chance we might get this here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This honestly has me a little worried.  

While I know the usual "Standard Code Rant" and volunteers are stretched thin with real-life responsibilities and there are plenty of very good reasons why this hasn't shown up on Homecoming yet, while simultaneously the risks associated with some of the other servers' rampant modifications to the game . . . but Homecoming's still tripping over themselves with stuff like balancing Tankers under the old paradigm.  

I understand that I might just be the crazy bedraggled citizen in Kings Row shouting about the aliens in my teeth at war with the monsters in my pockets, but come on Homecoming Team.  You've done some great work, but please, please, please stop trying to operate under the methodologies of Cryptic, Paragon, and ncsoft.  It's holding you back.  

Get wild!  

Get crazy!  

Start looking for solutions to problems in directions completely opposite of where the old crew were looking.  

These other servers might crash and burn with their high speed development, but they're getting stuff DONE.  BIG stuff at that.  And for all their faults (some quite serious), this stuff is making them /look good/ comparatively.

Maybe my concern here just stems from the lack of a clear development roadmap for Homecoming, and maybe my past professional and personal experiences in the industry don't amount to a damn here, and (worst still) maybe I'm just utterly failing to compose my thoughts and feelings in a meaningful way . . . but please, I am deeply passionate about City of Heroes and what Homecoming means to the future of both this game and the industry at large:  Re-evaluate your priorities and directives.  Please focus on City's strengths, and not flounder about trying to make it a "consumer product" like other MMOs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

This honestly has me a little worried.  

While I know the usual "Standard Code Rant" and volunteers are stretched thin with real-life responsibilities and there are plenty of very good reasons why this hasn't shown up on Homecoming yet, while simultaneously the risks associated with some of the other servers' rampant modifications to the game . . . but Homecoming's still tripping over themselves with stuff like balancing Tankers under the old paradigm.  

I understand that I might just be the crazy bedraggled citizen in Kings Row shouting about the aliens in my teeth at war with the monsters in my pockets, but come on Homecoming Team.  You've done some great work, but please, please, please stop trying to operate under the methodologies of Cryptic, Paragon, and ncsoft.  It's holding you back.  

Get wild!  

Get crazy!  

Start looking for solutions to problems in directions completely opposite of where the old crew were looking.  

These other servers might crash and burn with their high speed development, but they're getting stuff DONE.  BIG stuff at that.  And for all their faults (some quite serious), this stuff is making them /look good/ comparatively.

Maybe my concern here just stems from the lack of a clear development roadmap for Homecoming, and maybe my past professional and personal experiences in the industry don't amount to a damn here, and (worst still) maybe I'm just utterly failing to compose my thoughts and feelings in a meaningful way . . . but please, I am deeply passionate about City of Heroes and what Homecoming means to the future of both this game and the industry at large:  Re-evaluate your priorities and directives.  Please focus on City's strengths, and not flounder about trying to make it a "consumer product" like other MMOs.

I believe this whole post has some merit to it. Keep fun as the prime directive. :^)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

You've done some great work, but please, please, please stop trying to operate under the methodologies of Cryptic, Paragon, and ncsoft.  It's holding you back.

Except that if you stray too far from what makes CoH CoH, you run the risk of alienating all those players that came to Homecoming in the first place...

• Like 2

Fun as a Prime Directive is nice and all, in theory... but they've gotta balance a lot of different ideas of fun.

Some people think PvP isn't fun unless they can just instantly win any PvP fight they get in because of superior power/numbers/etc.

Some people think PvE isn't fun unless you completely ignore enemy attacks and crushes them without effort.

But for every type of fun out there, there's someone else who has fun in the exact opposite way. Where every PvP match -needs- to have a risk of losing. Where Roflstomping enemies en-masse with no sense of danger is dull.

How do you appease them all? Well. Some servers don't try. They hand out tier 9 powers at level 1 and let loose having a great time for them. 

And... honestly? I'd rather stay on the server that clings closest to what CoH was on Live. Because I loved that game. I love this one. We all did. 

• Like 1

What City of Heroes was on Live was constantly changing.  Constantly attempting to improve.  Sure, there were some stumbles along the way, but it sure as shoot wasn't the same thing forever.

But yes, the pursuit of "fun" isn't the ideal metric in my opinion either.  City of Heroes' strengths lie in player agency and customization.  In other words:  The tools for players to make their own "fun," or enjoyment (as the term I prefer to focus on).  Other MMOs (at least as far as I've seen) never got close to that.  To that end, Henchpet Customization is a huge step in that direction.  It gives players more power to define their experience in a personal and positive way.

Henchpet Customization is not the only thing that should be focused on to the exclusion of all others, but it's a big damned step in the right direction.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, biostem said:

Except that if you stray too far from what makes CoH CoH, you run the risk of alienating all those players that came to Homecoming in the first place...

It's a very precarious balance, and I can't fault them for erring on the side of caution. My plan, were I in charge, would be to slowly make the changes bigger and bigger, so that I'd be able to tell before I'd crossed the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Ehhhh...

It's definitely a step in a good direction. It's just an incredibly time consuming step in a direction that affects few people...

Not everyone plays MMs. Fewer still play Mercs, Thugs, and Ninjas (The only ones reasonably likely to get customization)

How many people will pick up an MM if this gets put in. I already have two concepts that require pet customization to work.

7 hours ago, JetMalakai said:

How many people will pick up an MM if this gets put in. I already have two concepts that require pet customization to work.

Some?

I have a Necro, but if Thugs gets customization I might make a new Thugs Mastermind and play a Multiplier Punisher.

And after checking the 4 Months in Stats thread, I'm suddenly thinking this will be -way- more popular than I initially considered. Mastermind is one of the 3 most popular archetypes which is a shock and a half, to me.

But the 3 powersets that might get customization are also the least played three. Beasts, Demons, and Robots dominate.

This could also apply to the epic pool summons. Summon Adept might be more popular heroside if you could bring on "Lightning Lad" instead of a generic Arachnos grunt. All the powers those summons use already have standard animations, so there shouldnt be an issue with that either.

Edited by Bossk_Hogg

The guy explicitly says in the Reddit thread that he's starting with Mercs, Thugs, and Ninjas because they use the same humanoid mesh as players, but he plans to make all the MM pets customizable:

"Humanoids are first because they are the simplest, then bots, then demons/beasts."

It's apparently not 100% compatible with I25/26, though, so it'd be extra work to incorporate it here.

Edited by Williwaw

22 hours ago, biostem said:

I would maintain what made CoH into CoH was the overwhelming scope and vision of the product compared to other MMOs. They were often the first to the market with many features that other MMOs ultimately had to replicate.

Even to this day, the original vision of City of Heroes which shattered the archetype paradigm... Sure, they ultimately gave up on it, but they still tried first. What they made still shook things up... And kept doing so.

Admittedly, it helped that the team changed several times throughout development. The new blood constantly took CoH in new directions.

Because this is now open to Hobby Programming, there ARE more options. You aren't limited to one dev teams vision. Maybe not just having Beta servers... But having different running experimental servers would be a good plan.

There are opportunities to bring many people back and even into City of Heroes for the first time because the MMO industry is dying under badly run corporations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1