Illusion/Rad Controller - Needs Help

StoneKarma

So this is my L50 Ill/Rad controller. I was able to cap some defenses, get perma Phantom Army, and get the powers the forums says I should have. Problem is, she's not very good. I can't seem to solo EBs or much of anything. I was able to fight a Rikti Pylon in RWZ, after 10 minutes, I gave up, it was a draw. It couldn't hurt me, but I was not able to do any meaningful damage to it either. Suggestions?

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.5
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Chernobyl Blossom: Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds

• (A) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (5) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (5) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 1: Radiant Aura

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (9) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Radiation Infection

• (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (11) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff
  • (13) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge
  • (13) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (15) Dark Watcher's Despair - Chance for Recharge Slow

Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 6: Flash

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Chance for Recharge Slow
  • (17) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (17) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (19) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 8: Superior Invisibility

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Endurance/Recharge
  • (23) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 10: Enervating Field

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (23) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 12: Blind

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (25) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (25) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (27) Basilisk's Gaze - Chance for Recharge Slow

Level 14: Hasten

• (27) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Mutation

Level 18: Phantom Army

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (29) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (29) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 20: Lingering Radiation

• (A) Pacing of the Turtle - Chance of -Recharge

Level 22: Combat Jumping

• (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 24: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 26: Spectral Terror

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (33) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 28: Choking Cloud

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (34) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge
  • (34) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge
  • (36) Unbreakable Constraint - Endurance/Hold
  • (36) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (36) Lockdown - Chance for +2 Mag Hold

Level 30: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 32: Phantasm

• (A) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (37) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Call to Arms - Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Call to Arms - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Call to Arms - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 35: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (39) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (39) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (40) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (40) Aegis - Psionic/Status Resistance
  • (40) Impervious Skin - Status Resistance

Level 38: EM Pulse

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (42) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (42) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (42) Basilisk's Gaze - Chance for Recharge Slow

Level 41: Scorpion Shield

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (43) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (43) Luck of the Gambler - Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (45) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 44: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (45) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Endurance/Recharge
  • (48) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 47: Disruptor Blast

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown

Level 49: Hover

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

It's a little late in the day for a detailed dive, but here's a couple things off-hand:

Flash and Choking Cloud are profoundly meh. I'd drop them both and move the slots elsewhere.

Six-slot Blind and Spectral Wounds. Put a Gladiators Javelin chance for toxic in both. I put five Unbreakable Constraints into Blind (everything except for hold duration) and Apocalypse in SW (everything except Damage). Sprinkle in boosters to hit the ED caps. You won't be a proc monster, but you'll get 10 percent to global recharge from each and procs will help out with your ST damage.

You don't need overwhelming force kb to kd in PA. Knocking things down with PA is fun but it makes no difference. They are invul as is, and if a decoy is fighting something, that something is fighting the decoy. Ergo, it is sufficiently controlled.

Put four expedient reinforcements in there and Soulbound Allegiance chance for buildup. Sprinkle in boosters to get maximum damage, recharge and acc possible.

If you are going with epic mace, get the poison Ray and the tarantula. Stack dat -res!

And incarnates. You need them to truly blossom these days. For you I think Musculature Alpha, degenerative interface, ion judgment, and Clarion destiny.

• Like 1

Got a brief look at the build in Mids' last night, but can't open it now on my phone.  Agree with Extor Prime.  I'd add slots to AM get its recharge and endmod ED capped.  It should help with any end issues you might be having.  I noticed your net end recovery was low but can't look at the build currently to see what was toggled on and if something end heavy was on that didn't need to be.  I'd probably cut back on the slots used in both Superior Invisibility and Weave in addition to what was mentioned by Extor.  I'll be able to get a longer look tonight and tomorrow, post some further thoughts.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:36 PM, Extor Prime said:

Put four expedient reinforcements in there and Soulbound Allegiance chance for buildup. Sprinkle in boosters to get maximum damage, recharge and acc possible.

Does the Build Up proc actually affect the phantom army? I'm sure it will trigger and the icon will show up, but I'm not sure how the buff actually works applied to them (I think the game treats it as a power that they cast on themselves)?

If not, I guess it would go in Phantasm.  In any case, looks like solid advice and I'll put it to work on my newly minted lvl50 Ill/Rad 🙂 Thanks!

First of all, thank you for your help and comments, I really appreciate it.

@MacharielI think the idea is that the Build Up procs when you cast PA. And since you're casting it about every 60 seconds, it comes around often enough to make it worth while.

So, am I understanding this advice and other the guides I have read suggestions on these powers?

Don't take:

Deceive (Agreed, I think it's useless too. But I did read one old guide that went into ridiculous depth about why it was so great).

Flash (It works well, but the objection here is to the very slow recharge (4 minutes)?

Group Invisibility

Choking Cloud (I like the way it works slotted with Unbreakable Constraint and +2 Mag Hold from Lockdown), but it is an endurance hog. What's the objection to it from @Extor Prime & @Doomguide2005 above? And without Choking Cloud, the Unbreakable Constraint would move to Blind with Javelin's proc in the 6th slot.

Fallout (Too situational.)

Do take:

Illusion Control

Spectral Wounds

Blind

Superior Invisibility

Phantom Army

Spectral Terror

Phantasm

Radiation Emission

Radiant Aura

Radiation Infection

Accelerate Metabolism

Enervating Field

Mutation

Lingering Radiation

EM Pulse (for the -Regen, how to slot it? 4 Basilisks for the 7.5% recharge?)

Mace Mastery

Poisonous Ray (for -Resist)

Scorpion Shield (for DEF)

Summon Tarantula (for Toxic Damage)

Pool Powers

Hasten

Combat Jumping

Boxing, Tough, Weave

Then pick one:

Leadership, whatever fits?

Fly, & Hover (to slot in a LotG)

Recall Friend to stealth missions

Incarnate?

7 hours ago, Machariel said:

Does the Build Up proc actually affect the phantom army? I'm sure it will trigger and the icon will show up, but I'm not sure how the buff actually works applied to them (I think the game treats it as a power that they cast on themselves)?

If not, I guess it would go in Phantasm.  In any case, looks like solid advice and I'll put it to work on my newly minted lvl50 Ill/Rad 🙂 Thanks!

Yes it does proc, and yes it does buff the decoys. It's been a point of some uncertainty but it is known for sure now. I know they are technically unbuffable but that particular IO gets around this rule somehow. 

Not taking Deceive is a bad decision. It is one of our cornerstone powers. It also gives a place to the Coercive Persuasion set which brings recharge, damage, ranged defense and energy/negative defense bonuses to the table. Not to mention that when Contagious Confusion procs, you can confuse an entire spawn. Even without it, turning an elite boss or even an AV info a temp pet is a form of control (on which illusion controllers are a bit light). A confused enemy as is good as held, except instead of standing around uselessly he is hitting his friends or buffing you.

Edited by Extor Prime

I can agree on Chocking Cloud and even Flash to some degree. I used Flash mostly as a panic button when I somehow drew aggro in a group. That way the slow recharge was never a big deal, but the slow animation for it makes that usage a lot less useful. I should probably respec out of it but atm I use it as a mule for set bonuses I like. Can't recall which atm without looking at the character.

Deceive though, I found to be profoundly useful. I never use it in a group,but for soloing at least, it is pretty cool. It is a control power that does not produce aggro. Any size spawn that might be too tough to take safely, can be reduced to the point where it is no threat. And for anything even an AVs (one that doesn't have the virtual immunity to control powers) you can stack up deceive without aggro on your target until it takes effect. Not only will they clear out anyone around them but will then stand around and let you attack them stacking up any of your damaging control powers without fear of attack.

Not all that super for an AT that has Phantom Army but it can be pretty helpful.

7 hours ago, StoneKarma said:

First of all, thank you for your help and comments, I really appreciate it.

@MacharielI think the idea is that the Build Up procs when you cast PA. And since you're casting it about every 60 seconds, it comes around often enough to make it worth while.

So, am I understanding this advice and other the guides I have read suggestions on these powers?

Don't take:

Deceive (Agreed, I think it's useless too. But I did read one old guide that went into ridiculous depth about why it was so great).

Flash (It works well, but the objection here is to the very slow recharge (4 minutes)?

Group Invisibility

Choking Cloud (I like the way it works slotted with Unbreakable Constraint and +2 Mag Hold from Lockdown), but it is an endurance hog. What's the objection to it from @Extor Prime & @Doomguide2005 above? And without Choking Cloud, the Unbreakable Constraint would move to Blind with Javelin's proc in the 6th slot.

Fallout (Too situational.)

Do take:

Illusion Control

Spectral Wounds

Blind

Superior Invisibility

Phantom Army

Spectral Terror

Phantasm

Radiation Emission

Radiant Aura

Radiation Infection

Accelerate Metabolism

Enervating Field

Mutation

Lingering Radiation

EM Pulse (for the -Regen, how to slot it? 4 Basilisks for the 7.5% recharge?)

Mace Mastery

Poisonous Ray (for -Resist)

Scorpion Shield (for DEF)

Summon Tarantula (for Toxic Damage)

Pool Powers

Hasten

Combat Jumping

Boxing, Tough, Weave

Then pick one:

Leadership, whatever fits?

Fly, & Hover (to slot in a LotG)

Recall Friend to stealth missions

Incarnate?

I would suggest reading this guide (http://guidescroll.com/2011/07/city-of-heroes-illusionradiation-controller-guide/), although you may have read it based on your Deceive comment.  It is old, but some of it is still relevant today.  I had built my Illusion/Radiation Controller on Live using this guide and I could not solo AVs, but I think that was my tactics.  I am now building on HC using a similar model, but making some adjustments.

Here is my current planned build.  I am at level 33, so everything could change by the time I hit 50.  Here I have perma-Hasten, perma-AM, and close to perma-PA.  I took the Sorcery pool for thematic purposes and Rune of Protection, but saw a thread on Enflame with procs, so thought I would test it out.  While leveling I am using SW-Blind-AB as my primary attack chain and I usually start my combat with Deceive.  I am barely using Flash or Spectral Terror, so not sure if they will stick in the final build.  This is a weird build because I am not building for defense like normal.  I had started another thread about useful temporary powers, so I decided to see if a build could rely on a temp power,  Here I am planning to use Wedding Band to help Resistance.  When Rune of Protection is available my S/L resistance is 71.9%.  When it is not available I can use Wedding Band and it will cap S/L/Fire.  When Wedding Band runs out I can go get it again through flashback.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.6
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Archmagus: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Spectral Wounds -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Dcm-Build%(11)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(5), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 2: Blind -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(3), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 4: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(17), CrcPrs-Conf%(29), Empty(37)
Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7), EndMod-I(7), EndMod-I(29)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 10: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 12: Radiation Infection -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(13), AchHee-ResDeb%(15)
Level 14: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Arcane Bolt -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(25), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(21), SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SlbAll-Acc/Rchg(23)
Level 20: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Lingering Radiation -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A)
Level 24: Enflame -- PstBls-Dam%(A), JvlVll-Dam%(31), Ann-ResDeb%(31), Rgn-Dmg(36)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(A), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(40)
Level 28: Rune of Protection -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 30: Flash -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(34), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(40), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(43)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), HO:Nucle(46)
Level 35: Fire Blast -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dam%(48)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39)
Level 41: Fire Ball -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(42), Rgn-Knock%(43), JvlVll-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Fire Shield -- HO:Ribo(A), HO:Ribo(45), HO:Ribo(45)
Level 47: Consume -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), Obl-%Dam(50), Arm-Dam%(50)
Level 49: Rise of the Phoenix -- Obl-%Dam(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(34), Pnc-Heal/+End(37)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(43)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Clarion Total Radial Invocation
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1565;720;1440;HEX;|
|78DA6593594F135114C7EF6DA7424B59CB5284423716590646505E5C02084605453|
|1BC218E65C02685926949343EF915308A5BE2822C4AF4D957BF831A1F7C575104E5|
|03D4D3F91F98C64E20BFD3FF3DE7DEB3DC3B7AEB8CF7DDD9BBA7852C1B4CE8A9D4D|
|460723E6D261309C3748DEAB3F198A0CFDD6FC66ECEE9B38BA902FA15B15DF6BDD5|
|7389C4622A9E9CDF17C2393E038B3333EA157D3AAEA7B31E4373F154D65578C6921|
|439BE6018D35E9849336698B72BAC1F578D84B19034D35690281F5A88C7D4E1B869|
|4C8DEAA93479F9291395FE9F49C15F4611CB841645381E82858F40CF63E653F0A21|
|DE312DF9D42688A507E80DE2DB0EC27D8F20BD4B6C1E7142B3956AE4173AC83851B|
|E0E1D7CC3760C726F882029D1CEB9C74E0DC6B60C91458761DACD7C168863E31469|
|12EEBD88CD3D52EAC9543FB0C82F5CC300DA900BEB2807D1A982BA4BBB1E6705749|
|4B8B5C4076D13DF012C945C8D251D447509CC2CB2CF94059F91471AF498862F888E|
|2AFC87489B4529E44294FA29A27E1E749F87912A127E02A9D55CE1D29DFC13E15BB|
|CCBF60E51E7300ACEE072F53AC8F73F08550DF386955AC55BD457DF729AF1A68CE9|
|AF7DC8F306A6DF806468E62CF350AA985AFAC0D28B8017EF001ED53C76B75DCCF08|
|F325C505F88CC047DA8B62439FC096CF60DB17709D7C1BB94F8D5C73906B0E72CDC|
|13F60E709F47D85D20C734CB883D73A992AD8D5C5D4C0093AA789736AE29C9A39A7|
|66CEA999737A45FBB7F21C5A8F23FE480FB397790C6CEBE373B887AB8476BE53EDA|
|7906FC77FCC3E14D57A3719877A073DD304BFAC93D86F932E5437CFAE9BD7EA9583|
|974A7FD99710B0954C5BDE6A779EA2E5293D794A6F9E329255242B6EE437A61CBC7|
|C212DAF6D0F29EC253B51D58EAD39E47989DB3E819B180DA1AADFB971AD88DBB535|
|2997B9D34B7CB2C7CAC3AA7932C7D673EC1B39F6305D778DED0DBA361AF6CD6C456|
|D7BC467DBE14ADBDEC8D1FF011A300410|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sorry about the delay getting back to the thread.  I think when neither of us mentioned Deceive it got misinterpreted as not being worth taking.  As mentioned it can be quite useful.  As for Choking Hold I don't have a strong objection to it if it works for you then I don't see a good reason not to take it.  But yes it has a few points to consider, endurance usage is one .  The other is the way it applies its mez.  It does not hit its targets with a mag 3 but a combo of mag 2 and mag 1 holds neither of which has a 100% chance to happen when foes are first effected.  The net effect is you need to extend the duration of the holds to allow it the time to stack enough, particularly on higher rank foes, for a hold to occur.  Since it's a PBAoE this might allow the occasional foe to get off a melee attack or two prior to becoming held.   Frankly I don't recall how frequently the hold(s) check ("tic") as foes are standing in the AoE.  Maybe another poster can fill in those details.

Fallout- Figured I'd mention this rather unusual power.  Despite being the tier 8 power this is your Nuke (either that or your tier 9 is a really odd damage free nuke).  Yes it is extremely situational and if solo or on your average PuG it is essentially unuseable in practice.  But get on a static team where it can get used Fallout is an extremely potent damage and debuffing attack.  Good power to keep in the back of ones mind for an alt build if you start running regular with a group.  Ideally you'd need Recall Friend as well to move the defeated ally into position to use Fallout (another of its highly situational issues).  But the Faithful Fans of Fallout is one of the oldest SGs in the Repeat Offenders Network and blowing up the corpses is part of how they steamroll everything in their path

A good friend and guild mate of mine back on Live wrote an excellent guide on Illusion/Rad 'trollers, I can attest to just how powerful they can be.  The guide isn't on these boards but here's a link to the archived version of Local Man's Ill/Rad guide:

https://guidescroll.com/2011/07/city-of-heroes-illusionradiation-controller-guide/

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler