How do enhancements work - why am I get 13.5% reduction?

DougGraves

I have the leadership toggles.  I have a lvl 25 enhancement for endurance reduction in them.  When I go to the enhancement management screen it says IO 25 32% reduction.  Then it shows the numbers: Base 0.39 Modified 0.34 -13.5%.

It looks to me like it is giving me 13.5% reduction instead of 32%.  Is it because I am playing on a lower level team?  Does it  just not work like I expect?

Controller AT in case it matters.

20 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Is it because I am playing on a lower level team? 

Do you mean exemplared down (where your level shifts down to a lower one temporarily)? If so, then IOs scale down if they're too far below their normal level. Here is a guide to how the system works, if you're interested. Simple version is that, yes, lowering your level will make you IO enhancements scale down until you go back to your true level.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Yeah. I only knew because someone mentioned it on Reddit. A lot of information about CoH at the time was based on forum announcements by the dev team - the game misses quite a lot out or actually gives you wrong information.

The IO tutorial says an IO's effectiveness "is constant and based on the level of the Recipe" in the tutorial, which isn't actually true as it shifts down if you exemplar. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

43 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I wonder if there is a list of all of the wrong information presented in game.  Fixing the text to be accurate would be a nice thing for the devs to do that should not be controversial. 

Welcome to Paragon Wiki where the world of CoH is at your fingertips

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Sidekick#Exemplar.2FMalefactor

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Exceeeeept that ParagonWiki /also/ has information which is wrong, incomplete, or not adjusted to meet Homecoming's new content.

It's still helpful, by and large, though.  So, yeah, check it out!  Just remember that it might not be 100% accurate as to what you're looking for either.

true,  still more reliable than reddit though

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

6 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

true,  still more reliable than reddit though

Eh. No better or worse than the forums, really.  If you ask a question you'll still get three answers that contradict each other half the time.

18 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

The IO tutorial says an IO's effectiveness "is constant and based on the level of the Recipe" in the tutorial, which isn't actually true as it shifts down if you exemplar. 

Yes but this refers to a different aspect of the system. When you use a non-invention enhancement it has a base value when it matches your level but adjusts if you are from +3 to -3 to it. For example a typical damage single-origin enhancement's value can be the following going from when you buy it 3 levels ahead of you to 3 levels below it (rounded): 38%, 36%, 35%, 33% (even level), 30%, 26%, 23%, and at -4 levels the enhancement fails and is worth 0%.

So that is what this refers to, the ACTUAL value of the enhancement. Exemplaring is a different system that overlays that. When you are lower than your current level, your effectiveness is scaled by a % to emulate a lower level character having fewer slots and possibly lower grade enhancements.  

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Very often, in CoH enhancements actually increase numbers in the denominator of equations.  If you are wanting to get into the detail numbers of this game, It's a good idea to really think it through and understand this concept.

Example 1: Reducing something by 32%  

IS NOT:     100% - 32% => 68% of original value. 

IS:     1/(100%+32%) => 75.7% of original value.

Example 2: Reducing something by 100%

IS NOT:  100%-100% => 0% of the original value.

IS:     1/(100%+100%) => 50% of the original value.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

8 hours ago, Erydanus said:

So that is what this refers to, the ACTUAL value of the enhancement. Exemplaring is a different system that overlays that. When you are lower than your current level, your effectiveness is scaled by a % to emulate a lower level character having fewer slots and possibly lower grade enhancements.  

And there is a ParagonWiki page for how that works.