Previously Unknown Feature? Or Bug?

Dacy

• Community Rep

So I was typing fast to start editing, and accidentally typed /editbase 12 and hit return before I saw my error. To my great surprise, I found myself in edit mode anyway. However, when I tried to actually edit, it told me I didn’t have permission. Actually, I did, but it was interesting that this command put me in edit mode. So the next time I was not in my base but in another one of my bases, I tried the same command, and lo and behold, I was able to view the base in edit mode even though this time I did not have permission. I again could not do any actual editing, but I could view the base in edit mode and temporarily move a piece to see what it was. As soon as you release the piece that snaps back in the place and you get scolded for not having permission, but it was interesting.

This of course means that you could use this command in any base and see how something was put together, even though you don’t have editing permission, and you can’t actually edit anything. Thoughts?

-Dacy

• Like 1

• Community Rep
6 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

All that being said... if there is an easier way to do this I'd like to know about it. There is a bit of a gap left between the door and the actual surface I want it on. This is especially noticeable when you're flying to the ceiling at eye level with that door. Not big enough that you'd notice it otherwise but it is kinda bugging me that I can't get that to lay more flush. I could fix it if I knew how to get them into that position without using the method I just described but otherwise I can deal with that gap being there.

Okay. My standard approach to doors is to F5 them to "floor", then move/manipulate them where I want them to go. Sometimes it matters which door, also; I think one or two of them already orient to attach to the floor. But anyway. There are three axes (plural of axis), and so three controls to turn an item. Alt usually turns it from side to side (if you rotate the item, sometimes the controls won't seem to control the same movement. They do, but you changed the orientation of the item, so it looks different). ctrl/alt is another, and shift/alt is the third. Now, which one controls rotation from top to bottom, and which one tilts it in a cartwheel often depends on which direction the item comes out of the editor facing, but generally, I find that shift/alt will control rotation when you want to lay something flat. However, I just tried it on the COT door, which is the door I suspect you used (which indeed does come out of the editor attached to the floor)

, since it is really the only door that is just door, and not frame; that door lays flat with the ctrl/alt keys. Once you have the door rotated to the final position you want, now you can move it with your mouse, either into the wall the desired amount, or if laying it flat, sink it with shift. It's good to turn off  your grid for this, because the grid affects how things sink as well as how things move in the base, so it might sink too far or not far enough if you have the grid on.

Changing the attachment and using the manipulation keys should mean you never have to use other items to place things correctly. Unless they are NPCs. Those guys are usually impossible to target after you place them, so you have to get them positioned before you click to place them, which could be a whole video topic, really.

25 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

There's some heads that spray water for example. The water effect continues on well beyond where the floor is. I noticed this while flying under the base in edit mode. Theoretically if you wanted to have a waterfall but didn't want those heads visible you could place them above where ever you wanted that water fall to happen where the head itself would be hidden and just the water could be seen.

Yes, and long ago, we had to do just this. Now, however, check out fluid fx at the back of the editor tabs; it has several waterfalls. And yes, many fx seem to go on and on, you must account for this when placing them.

I hope this clears things up!

-Dacy

You...might wanna review this.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• Community Rep

Well, that answers the question, @WanderingAries! Thanks 🙂 So, the answer is, a feature! Not a bug. And the original command was /editbase 3, but the editor just goes with that command for higher numbers, too. However, I do note that in the post on the titan network, which I've never before visited, tbh, they did not mention that it's a command that will work in ANY base, whereas, the other commands will only work in YOUR base.

So, learned something. Thanks, @WanderingAries!

-Dacy

And of course /editbase 0  exits base editing mode. I will second what shenanigunner said in the linked post: 2 and 3 act buggy.

Actually have you guys noticed since the change so that the base editor interface has options like rotation degree and applying a sky, but can be exited with a click of the button at the bottom of the options button, when you come out the UI is a little weird? The pop-up that lets you go into edit base or edit plot mode usually has the detail window stacked on top of it as well. I've found if I do edit base 0 to get out it usually doesn't, though sometimes I've had to do editbase 1 editbase 0 a couple times to "shake" that detail window off. Just odd, huh?

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!