Drop Throttling System

krj12

You people are hilarious.  "Oh noes, look at the rampant inflation!   Why, just a moment ago I bought a... full set of Hecatomb for what a single member of that set cost on Live!  And and and look!  Any PvP enhancements costs 1/10th of what it did on Live!  Inflation!"

Y'all are describing problems you think should exist but actually don't.  The Reward Merit system and HC's active prohibition of RMTs ensure that most auctionable items have a static ceiling.  

Put it this way: without RMTs, the inf I earn farming is only good for what I need on alts. Since an alt takes about 6 hours to get to 50.3 and paid for, the 2BN cap keeps me at about 3 alts worth of inf - more than I can feasibly run because I have a job and stuff.    If I can't move it and I am limited in how useful it is to me, there is no incentive to dump it on the market faster than the market can absorb it.  

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

11 hours ago, nihilii said:

We did experience the consequences of farming on Live. As it generated influence and all IOs except PvP IOs, this led to PvP IOs spiking to 2B (and above, trading outside the market).

On Homecoming, farming tends to add inflation more than regular play as the typical farming setup is exemplared for 2x inf rewards, whereas you don't generate 2x the drops.

Ehh, not quite. When all you got out of AE missions was tickets, sure, you were generating a good chunk of inf but no real drops to go along with it. Here you're generating inf and drops, merit prices are cheaper/more items are available/converters exist and are practical, and there's a hard cap on how much a given recipe will ever be worth because of the inf/merit conversion rate.

There were a lot of QoL changes on the secret server to accomodate a much smaller playerbase than live had and it's those QoL changes that are going to keep market prices reasonable.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

10 hours ago, macskull said:

Ehh, not quite. When all you got out of AE missions was tickets, sure, you were generating a good chunk of inf but no real drops to go along with it. Here you're generating inf and drops, merit prices are cheaper/more items are available/converters exist and are practical, and there's a hard cap on how much a given recipe will ever be worth because of the inf/merit conversion rate.

I think maybe you read my post to mean "Homecoming farming is worse than Live farming"? I meant to say Homecoming farming contributes more to inflation than Homecoming regular play.

Homecoming farming: 2x inf, 1x drops
Homecoming regular play: 1x inf, 1x drops

20 hours ago, roleki said:

You people are hilarious.  "Oh noes, look at the rampant inflation!   Why, just a moment ago I bought a... full set of Hecatomb for what a single member of that set cost on Live!  And and and look!  Any PvP enhancements costs 1/10th of what it did on Live!  Inflation!"

Y'all are describing problems you think should exist but actually don't.  The Reward Merit system and HC's active prohibition of RMTs ensure that most auctionable items have a static ceiling.  

Put it this way: without RMTs, the inf I earn farming is only good for what I need on alts. Since an alt takes about 6 hours to get to 50.3 and paid for, the 2BN cap keeps me at about 3 alts worth of inf - more than I can feasibly run because I have a job and stuff.    If I can't move it and I am limited in how useful it is to me, there is no incentive to dump it on the market faster than the market can absorb it.  

Discussing facts you find inconvenient isn't the same as calling these facts problems! Personally, I loved the crazy inflation on Live and I would love an economy unbound by inf<=>merits (and converters) or market salvage seeding, in virtual environments I enjoy markets that are free to the point of being arguably predatory.

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

Discussing facts you find inconvenient isn't the same as calling these facts problems! Personally, I loved the crazy inflation on Live and I would love an economy unbound by inf<=>merits (and converters) or market salvage seeding, in virtual environments I enjoy markets that are free to the point of being arguably predatory.

Luckily there are plenty of other games that would allow you to live out your nerd banker fantasies.

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

3 hours ago, nihilii said:

I can understand you from a financial standpoint, but I don't want that in a game.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:02 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm unclear what RMTers have to do with stored influence,or inflation.  Are you saying that Chinese gold merchants (may not be Chinese, or merchandising gold) set up hundreds or thousands of accounts, built them all up to the account maximum at the time, and then waited or lobbied for an auction house, and then pounced?  

Is the concept of supply and demand really that hard for you to understand?

On 11/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Desirable common salvage (such as that used in End Rec IO's) sometimes went for 1k+.  (And could and did spike much higher on occasion.)

I have bought nevermelting ice and regnerating flesh at 10k plus. It was the only price it could be bought at (I saw it for more too), and I had the inf to spend on it. And I for one have never had more than a couple of billion total across 2-3 accounts 30+ characters.

4 hours ago, roleki said:

Luckily there are plenty of other games that would allow you to live out your nerd banker fantasies.

Ew. Bankers lend money for interest. What a bore. Much more fun to trade and barter.

But seriously, you can rest easy: I'm fine with Homecoming as is, and even if I weren't, I'm relatively sure I don't have so much pull with the dev team me expressing a personal taste would cause them to change the entire economy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nihilii said:

I think maybe you read my post to mean "Homecoming farming is worse than Live farming"? I meant to say Homecoming farming contributes more to inflation than Homecoming regular play.

Homecoming farming: 2x inf, 1x drops
Homecoming regular play: 1x inf, 1x drops

This may be true but from what I have seen prices have remained fairly stable since they settled out after the servers came up (you could argue some prices have gone down as supply has made its way into the system). The only notable exception I can think of is catalyzed winter set pieces, which was less due to inflation and more due to not being "bucketed" with the regular version anymore.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube