Should powersets be cloned and then significantly modified?

DougGraves

Nerfing a powerset is going to change it in ways that players will not like, so that would have to just happen.

But otherwise, changing a powerset significantly will probably make some players happy and annoy others.  This is particularly true if you swap out whole powers, change power order, or make other significant changes.

One option would be to leave the existing powerset as is, clone it and then change the clone.  For example there is Darkness Control which includes pets.  That powerset could be cloned to "Shadow Control" which would remove Haunt and Umbra Beast and replace them with non-pet powers.  That way those who want pets could play the old set and players who do not want pets could play the new set.

Between power sets, pool power, and epic pools I don't see the need to clone movesets just to offer you different versions of the same set. It's programming bloat that would lead to a headaches.

if anything they could just add AT themed power pools( shadow control) give new options for the user.

I'm going to say no they don't need to clone whole powersets to make changes for something like having pets/not having pets or something similar.

What could be done however is expand the existing powersets to have more than 9 powers a piece to give players more options, so you can choose whether you want pets or not or whatever other powers you're interested in. An example of that is to look into Peacebringers and Warshades. Luminous Blast for example has 14 powers in the set, that allow you to choose from a wide array of power effects.

Whether or not that's done is not something that would likely be high priority, but would help people have more unique builds and seems to be in the spirit of the game.

• Like 2

• Retired Game Master
5 minutes ago, biostem said:

I wonder just how difficult it would be to add mutually exclusive power choice options at different tiers, similar to have SR has - like you could pick up haunt, or you could take a cone hold or something...

Technically speaking? The code exists, so probably not very. Making both choices comparable for balance and compelling options? That's an entirely different story. What could you replace Controller's T9 pet with that would be comparable and still fit the kit of a controller and the purpose of the T9 pets? Choices like this almost always end up being akin to "Yeah, you technically have a choice, but option X is objectively better in 90% of play."

Is this a bad thing? Subjective. Some people will appreciate a choice even if one option is definitively worse. Is that something the team would be happy with? Based on their reaction to Sentinel's SR thing, doesn't seem like it. That said, I would personally pick mutual exclusivity over cloning the entire set if something like this was to be considered. It makes more sense, is probably less work and is more player friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, GM Sijin said:

What could you replace Controller's T9 pet with that would be comparable and still fit the kit of a controller and the purpose of the T9 pets? Choices like this almost always end up being akin to "Yeah, you technically have a choice, but option X is objectively better in 90% of play."

I would rather have mutually exclusive choices as well if that is an option.

I think the key would be to not have them play the same role.  For control - gravity and mind have an extra single target attack so they are better for soloing.  I could see controllers having the option of control powers at higher levels or damage attacks.  This would make it so you could use different builds for soloing and teaming and really have options.  Not just whether you slot for damage procs or hold duration.

I could see defense sets having a choice between a toggle and an auto power.  The toggle could provide significantly better resistance but cost endurance.  Again, if soloing you may not need the res as much as you need endurance.