It’s the people stupid!

Snarky

• Retired Community Rep

Hey, on the topic of player conduct, I have a question: (this is the first topic I found that dealt with this even obliquely)

Is it possible to find out a player's history at all?  You know, as in, this player was warned for this behavior, etc.? I was warned of a player by another player. I tried to get clarification on what this person had done, and I got some of it, but wanted to know more so I could decide whether or not it warranted breaking a promise I made, myself. Promises are a big deal to me, and I do not like breaking one, and even more so on someone's so-say, but I also do not wish to risk the behaviors described, so, horns of a dilemma. I'm guessing there's not, because the desire to keep privacy I bet outweighs conduct concerns, but I thought I'd ask.

-Dacy

2 hours ago, Dacy said:

Hey, on the topic of player conduct, I have a question: (this is the first topic I found that dealt with this even obliquely)

Is it possible to find out a player's history at all?  You know, as in, this player was warned for this behavior, etc.? I was warned of a player by another player. I tried to get clarification on what this person had done, and I got some of it, but wanted to know more so I could decide whether or not it warranted breaking a promise I made, myself. Promises are a big deal to me, and I do not like breaking one, and even more so on someone's so-say, but I also do not wish to risk the behaviors described, so, horns of a dilemma. I'm guessing there's not, because the desire to keep privacy I bet outweighs conduct concerns, but I thought I'd ask.

-Dacy

to the best of my knowledge, for the privacy reasons you mention I'm pretty sure this is explicitly being avoided by homecoming

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Totally agree on the overall civility of this game community compared to anything else out there.

I've played a number of other MMOs:  WoW, Neverwinter, Everquest, etc.  It's unbelievable the toxicity and elitism that is the norm in most other games...

On 12/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, jubakumbi said:

I am simply blunt, which I know to many people is considered confrontational, rude, and uncouth, even if I am not attempting any of those things, because I bring up points that many find uncomfortable to discuss.

I start conversations by getting down to brass tacks, not 'how are the kids and the spouse?'

I choose to address and talk about the things that are real issues, like how we treat each other as humans, not if the bonus on that attack should be +1 or +2.

So, I am quite used to the 'static' many people think I create by not conforming tp the lingustic interlocks many people prefer at every human exchange.

It's not that, I am well versed there, I know when I have caused someone to be uncomfortable most of the time.

What I am talking about are things that I have seen in this community where I have have had no involvement.

City of Heroes is the only game I have ever been playing in which the leader of the big raid doubled down on the thier thinking that the developers should be killed.

I clarified, thinking it hyperbole, but no, the person was serious, the developers should be put to death because of something they did not like about an interface.

I stopped playing incarnet raids on my server because this person was one of the main leaders.

City of Heroes is the only game in which I have seen people kicked off of teams for nothing more than a lack of badges (winter baby).

City of Heroes is the only MMO I have played that had players demand other players use or not use specific powers or be kicked.

City of Heores is the only game I have played where some players think others should be banned for not being creative enough to satisfy them.

We even have people at this stage who are determined anything not added by the 'original team' is _wrong_ for even existing.

I can go on.

I have seen plenty of snark in other MMOs and games over the years, but what I see in City of Heroes has been direct, targetted hate toward anyone and everyone that would even suggest something new or different, even when we are at the point we all know nothing huge could even be changed, the mere suggestion brings down holy hell.

I just prefer in my delusion to try and look at things objectively.

I have had hundreds if not thousands of hours in game with friends and solo over the years.

IME, this group of people is no different at scale than any other group of game playing humans, this group is not some 'cut above' even if the it want's to delude itself.

Even here, by saying I don't think the CoH community is 'better', it's taken as as me thinking it's 'bad', which is not true, I just think it's it's average, no better and no worse than any other online game community, IME.

The moment a group of people decide they are 'better' than other groups is the moment, IME, that group loses all relevance and credibility. TBH.

I really can't believe it. Don't get me wrong I believe what you are saying. But you had either very bad luck or you did not play enough other MMOs. City of Heroes is ahead of other MMO Communities.

Edit: NVM you said not in game but on the forums. I am only striktly speaking ingame. And if I say the CoH community is much more friendly as any other it doesn't mean I think it's "better in an elitist way.

Edited by Razia

9 hours ago, Dacy said:

-Dacy

There's an in-game tool for rating other players and adding notes, which applies to their global handles, not just specific servers/characters.  This tool saves its data only on the client side, so it's only useful/readable by you alone.  A friend of mine uses it religiously to keep track of players he likes and dislikes, so he can check them when forming or participating in teams and leagues.  You might want to avail yourself of this utility.

That's too much work for me, so I just /friend people I like, and /gignore the onerous ones.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

4 hours ago, Razia said:

I really can't believe it. Don't get me wrong I believe what you are saying. But you had either very bad luck or you did not play enough other MMOs. City of Heroes is ahead of other MMO Communities.

Edit: NVM you said not in game but on the forums. I am only striktly speaking ingame. And if I say the CoH community is much more friendly as any other it doesn't mean I think it's "better in an elitist way.

Live and Homecoming forums are were/full of voices that are happy to tell other they are playing the game wrong.

The in-game references were in-game on Live, the only drama on HC I have seen has been over ramping to +1 or +4.

I have played pretty much every major MMO for months as well as some minor ones, some for as much time as CoH has gotten from me.

Even now, I know there are people that play on HC that are not overt about it in-game, but they hold on to the idea they play the game 'right' and others do not.

That entire idea is in all MMOs IME.

Sure, there are 'bad words' and 'hate speech' in all MMO chat bubbles and cries of 'noobs' ruining things.

IME, no where else besides CoH have I seen such a level vitriol and discord between players with anyone that 'plays the game wrong', or had such strongly controlling personalities attempt to make entire populations think they are not 'good/creative enough' to play the game in the first place.

I mean, people here even complain about 'how' people get help or communicate, because, oh goodness me, they used the 'wrong' chat channel.

All that experience simply does not translate to 'more friendly' in my mind, just an average/median/normal group of humans.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, gamingglen said:

.  Are these the people that put anyone with any sort of negativity or disagreement on their ignore list so they only see the "good" things? 

I put no one on ignore.  I do not do it when i play WoW and i do not do it in the City or Isles. WoW has a mechanism for temporarily putting peeps on ignore when you report them.  If it is a time where i am in Orgrimmar for a while i report up to 20 or so people an hour for racism sexism homophobia truly nasty cursing and sometimes pedophilia. That community is not healthy. But i will mot ignore it.  Just like a Brute i stand there and deal with it.  Maybe my armor will hold. Maybe it wont.  But i will not let any nasty ignorant bully push me out of geek heaven.  So i stand and watch

i have not reported anyone in the City.  I think i did a few times back on live but CoX community has never been as bad as WoW. I am not just being sweet either.  I dont have a ton of sweet so i got to ration that out

9 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I mean, people here even complain about 'how' people get help or communicate, because, oh goodness me, they used the 'wrong' chat channel.

I talk in LFG and use Help for LFG and random bits of my personal opinions. As well as my battle cry “I’ve upped my efforts.  Up yours!”

sometimes people complain about this.  But i either say something snarky or ignore the complaints. If i see a question in help when i am not teaming ROFLstomp i try to answer it. I have a second comp up with Paragon Wiki cause my memory aint so good. So while i walk on Help i also try to make sure every question gets a response even if it is not a perfect answer

i play on Everlasting. The RP server. These geeks is hardcore. I do not use quotes or soliloquy in character. I tell peeps i am Snarky so i dont have to RP that

now for all my grumpy weirdness i am very experienced at CoX and when i join a team even with an SO’d lowbie i tend to stay focused and know my way around. Being useful helps. All my characters names begin with Snark. Snarky, Snarkbot, Snarkrot, Snarks, etc. Branding is everything and people tend to pit me down as a known quantity i believe. They may not love me but they get that i belong

But rather than get in an argument online about channel etiquette i just point out that Help is being provided or that no one is currently using LFG for any teamming. Again i may be missing a ton of possible love but i try to survive without online fans. If someone pushes it i tend to ignore them. Not on ignore list but just chuckle as i read their comments bouncing off my 90% internet comment resist armor. One time since i been back some one tried to get under my skin. I warned them. They persisted. I pointed a couple things out. They stopped responding. But again i try not to argue with peeps.  I chat. Sometimes in Help and LFG.  But with an eye on if the channel is swamped or slow.  So in essence i show respect. And in essence i have felt welcomed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

And in essence i have felt welcomed.  

I have never directly felt unwelcome, never been kicked in CoH, etc.

I get compliments on my playing, in game.

I have, however, seen many others abused, denigrated, and attacked, for doing nothing more than what the game allows, for not using powers 'right', and for not having creative enough costumes and names, and then bailed on said teams with a few /gignores.

I just don't have even a small amount of patience in my life anymore for people that want to control over how others play a game, based on some house rules or peer-pressure based 'right' way to play, due to thier own over-controlling and pushy personalities.

I can say fully, I do not care what any player or forum poster thinks of me or my outlook, the only person I care about how they view me is downstairs reading, so I will say to anyone at any time what I really think, they can like it or not, I do the same thing in all parts of my life.

I do not play these games to make new friends, it's just not how I roll.

People will like me for who I am, or not.

So yeah, while I have observed these things, like so many things in life, I have not myself had to deal with much in-game, just the forum posters that decide I am a terrible person because I won't conform or put put in a box.

But I care about how people treat each other.

IME, the way prople treat each other is no 'better', 'more friendly', or anything different than what I see in other games than in CoH.

The petty llama drama of the trivial things people in this community come up with to use as weapons against each other is sometimes sickening.

Just like all the other MMOs out there...

• Thanks 1