Mouse Suddenly Not Recognised After Reboot

Cinnder

This isn't really a CoH issue, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice, as searching on the web hasn't provided a solution for me yet.

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 system that I've been using for a few years with the standard Dell 5-button USB corded mouse that came with it. 

Over the past several months, often when I reboot the machine it no longer sees the mouse, and when I try disconnecting and reconnecting it the system says 'USB device not recognised.'  Shutting down the PC including a power cord disconnect doesn't help.  I've turned off the option in device manager that allows the system to power down the relevant USB devices.  If I let Windows search for new drivers or look on the Dell website there isn't any update to download.

The only thing that seems to work is to try plugging the mouse into port after port until one finally recognises it.  Sometimes it's actually the same port it was originally plugged into.  Today it wouldn't work in any of the 6 available rear USB ports, but it worked when I plugged it into any of the front ports.

I get the same behaviour if I try any of my spare mice, so it seems to be more of a system or port issue than a problem with the mouse itself.  Interestingly, the USB keyboard never has a problem.

It's working again now, but I live in fear that after the next reboot all the USB ports may decide they don't see mice anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As a possible 'patch up', if you have a free expansion slot on your system, you can try to get a USB 3.0 Host Card, and a powered USB 3.0 Hub.  You can find them at Best Buy for $30, there's no software to install, and putting it in your system can be done fairly easily.  A powered hub can get you more than 2 ports available, within reason (a 4-6 port hub will still work at the full spec, seven ports or more and it'll be at lowered speeds.)  Powered hubs (that come with a DC adapter, not just a port to plug one in that's sold separately) cost $40-60 depending on ports included.

I did it on mine when I built my system before the advent of USB 3.0, then realized to my chagrin, USB 2.0 got to be less and less useful.  It's a fix for $90 that might get more life out of your system if getting a new PC is off the table for now.

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

when was the last time you did a clean install of the os on the dell. it can be hardware failure or it can be driver damage. if the mouse is failing and pulling more power then it should some usb ports will turn off to save themselves from a dead short. one thing to check online see if your laptop system board has any high failure rate. some dell pc and laptops have had class action lawsuit do to how bad they were built.

There's also the possibility of damage to the Plug & Play subsystem.

I had this happen to me a few years back.  MOST of my USB stuff continued to work.  But any new devices failed to install properly.

Usually this is Windows telling you "REINSTALL ME!  OR ELSE!!!"

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

15 hours ago, Cinnder said:

Thanks, folks.  Reinstalling Windows is something I usually dread, but maybe that's what I need to do.  Ugh.

Backup your files and try a System Fresh/Reset first before a full clean install. It's possible the files it uses for that aren't as damaged (assuming this is software).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)