Suggestion: Non Visual Rocket Pack ( Prestige Flight )

krj12

1 hour ago, aethereal said:

You can't put a LotG in any travel power, and you can put a KB protection in every travel power.

Travel powers are pretty low down the list of major imbalances in CoH!  But it's still a bit of a bummer that you might very much want a travel power for theme but the power serves no real purpose in terms of utility.

I know, I was thinking along the lines of opening up the pool for it with two of them and didn't type it out.

And I don't honestly understand the last line. Nothing *keeps* anyone from picking a travel power, either. We don't even have prerequisites - you can grab *just* fly (or teleport, or whatever) - not everyone, I'd say not even most, are slaves to min/maxing. As far as utility, well - it's flexibility you *can* enhance and don't have to worry about having run out.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

You're right, it is so weird that your fun is based on what other people do, not on what you do.

It has nothing to do with my personal enjoyment, which you should easily know having presumedly read my responses. You shouldn't make assumptions.

The devs can, of course, add whatever they want if they decide it's acceptable to the balance and format of game, because that is what it is about. As I stated in the sentence you quoted, I disagree because it's a suggestion that would undermine the significance of how travel powers are currently set up; they are an investment, and were blank slates for you to customize around. Ninja and beast run were exceptions as they were run and jump buffs, and were added to market and not the existing pools as such.

You are free to disagree or denounce value being put in the fact that travels are currently an investment, but it is just objectively true that the suggestion above would undermine elements of how travel powers are set up. Alone, and as a precedent. Pool travels aren't superior to temps to an extent there would be reason to get them, and travel would become fully centred on what's on Pay2win. The question is whether or not that's the direction we want to head in.

but it is just objectively true that the suggestion above would undermine elements of how travel powers are set up.

Kind of surprised that this thread is still going on, but I'm kind of curious how you think a purely cosmetic change ( to something that already exists )

would undermine how travel powers are set up?  I already use temp flight powers on many of my toons.   Please explain how an alternate graphic option

would make them any difference in terms of balance?  It is no different than the minimal setting on many powers - it's cosmetic.

7 hours ago, krj12 said:

I already use temp flight powers on many of my toons.

That, it's pretty much that. That's how it undermines. Like I was saying, pool travels aren't good enough to out do their temp versions - whatever benefit they have is trivial next to the ability to save a power slot or two. Their only reason to exist now at all is because they are generic and good for customizing around (how rocket boots and wings interact with flight for instance), and even that is undermined by the origin pools - mighty leap is all around better than super jump and has an affect, mystic flight can save you an arcane aura when you spec for it, and both have minimal fx options.

If we start putting customizable temporary travels in the Pay2Win vendor, that's it for the travel pool versions.  Why would anyone get Flight at all when rocket flight deluxe is there to be reskinned to all our needs free of charge? The only reason they were added was because they weren't meant to be alternatives, and that you would be sacrificing something (slotting, costume compatibility) if you chose to go with that over available options. Slotting (outside of PvP where this discussion is not a thing) is irrelevant since you can boost any travel to the cap through accessible outside means, which leaves the customization benefit as the final bastion. If customizable rocket packs were added then naturally customizable jump packs would be too, and speed powers would be clamored for addition, and at this point you can easily peer down that slope to see how typical travel becomes trivial. So yeah, depends on if we want to head down that direction. It's been a while since I posted my comment originally; don't particularly care to be looped back into this thread, but my opinions have loosened since then. The investment of the pool travel powers has already been diminishing (one power pick instead of two), so the community can decide if they care about any of those repercussions.

• Like 1

Ok, so short version - you dont like the p2w versions since you think it cheapens the "real" version to irrelevance.

Therefore, rather than not choosing said powers for your own builds, you'd rather take that option away from everyone or at the very least

leave it with the unpleasant/un-thematic versions that we have now, so people avoid them.

I don't agree for several reasons:

1.  Slotting is very relevant - you can slot for knockback vs speed, for example - which I have done on some builds.  There is zero probability I would

change those builds for something like this.

2.  I consider travel to be as relevant to most characters as fitness.   The Devs finally chose to give fitness to everyone.  I think the ultimate solution

would be to make an inherent flight ability, just like fitness, and fully customizable.  The new p2w graphical option, however, would take less development time.

3.  The idea that I "have to give up something" just to have flight.    You're entitled to that opinion,  but I definitely disagree.

28 minutes ago, krj12 said:

Ok, so short version - you dont like the p2w versions since you think it cheapens the "real" version to irrelevance.

Therefore, rather than not choosing said powers for your own builds, you'd rather take that option away from everyone or at the very least

leave it with the unpleasant/un-thematic versions that we have now, so people avoid them.

I don't agree for several reasons:

1.  Slotting is very relevant - you can slot for knockback vs speed, for example - which I have done on some builds.  There is zero probability I would

change those builds for something like this.

2.  I consider travel to be as relevant to most characters as fitness.   The Devs finally chose to give fitness to everyone.  I think the ultimate solution

would be to make an inherent flight ability, just like fitness, and fully customizable.  The new p2w graphical option, however, would take less development time.

3.  The idea that I "have to give up something" just to have flight.    You're entitled to that opinion,  but I definitely disagree.

1) Most people do those slotting in powers like hover or combat jumping while also picking up LotG. If you choose not to, you are kind of just limiting yourself since the pay2win does exist and you could have both +rech/kb and a travel power. Afterburner is the only sort of argument, which is 3 power picks and in that case, investment for something other than flight alone. And if you aren't troubled by a tiny absence of optimization, then using a power pick on flight shouldn't be an issue.

2) You are saying that you want to move in the direction I stated above. That's fine, and I expected as much, so just understand that is what you are saying.

3) Not my opinion (see below)

I don't know how I can make it clearer that I have that I am simply explaining how the game was designed with reference to travel powers, and what a suggestion like this would do for that disposition. Also maintaining the status quo here isn't "taking away" anything. If someone made a suggestion to give all damage powers 100% automatic dmg enhancement value and I disagreed, I wouldn't be "taking away the ability for people to slot in more diverse methods". That type of claim is not an argument, and very very rarely ever is. There is a reason for it here, which I already went into - being an investment. Travel Powers (much like many powers) were always meant to be an investment, because they are significant, and yes. When you want something, you usually have to do give up something to get it. In our games design, that's a power slot. You can go ahead and make an argument as to why Flight should be exempt from that whole system, and you might actually have a point. But you need to start there.

You seem to think we are having an argument; we are not. You are disagreeing with the games design, which is perfectly fine, I am just explaining how it is. Like I said, the limitations characters were meant to have while leveling has depleted so greatly already, that it might be pointless to latch onto those things anyway. You'll have to prove that. The one thing you are correct about is that it does not hurt me if this were added, but have you ventured to consider why adding it to pay2win is rousing some reaction but few would bat an eye if it were a temporary power earned via an arc or event? It's because of the effort involved. That's inherently why most would be against this. You go against what's been set up, you make things too easy, and now people feel like their personal choices and investments are underwhelming. A lot of peoples satisfaction comes from overcoming limitations, and you'll have to reconcile with them as well as make an argument as to why Flight and other travels should be exempt from the design to begin with if you ever want to see this happening. But if your argument still hinges on "you are inconsiderate and taking away options from people" then I can tell you now it will never happen on homecoming; we're pretty adamant about what we like. Best of luck, I'll be on my way now.

• Thanks 2