Suggestion: Non Visual Rocket Pack ( Prestige Flight )

krj12

I love to take flight on my characters when I can, but I have a lot of builds where I just cant fit it in.  

I end up buying a rocket pack from the P2W vendor, which is fine, but often what is available just doesn't fit with

my character concept.  For example, a magical character would not want to use a technological device to fly.

So, it would be nice if we could buy a temp power that works like the existing rocket packs, but looks like the flight power.

Plenty of temp prestige run and jump powers in the list, but unless I missed it, I don't see any for flight.

Edited by krj12
  • Like 4

I don't feel that the flight power is marginalized, considering its unenhanced base speed is quite a bit faster than the jetpacks.

This is just a convenience for those with very tight builds, who don't want to break theme with their costumes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krj12 said:

I don't feel that the flight power is marginalized, considering its unenhanced base speed is quite a bit faster than the jetpacks.

This is just a convenience for those with very tight builds, who don't want to break theme with their costumes.

I just actually built a character with Flight last night - something I never do 58.6 mph (Capped Blue - double checked this is the cap) 

I respeced again because I hated not having combat jumping.   Back to Jetpack  56.7 mph

1.9 mph difference 

Its annoying when its red and white, and not black and purple like my costume, but hey I'm a stalker anyhow can only sort of see it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lines said:

I think theme should be a consideration within builds. I don't think the p2w vendor should provide character-defining powers.

You build to theme, that's fine.  My final builds are about performance - to each his own.

Then I guess you propose eliminating the rocket packs, since there is no practical difference, other than cosmetic?   We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

4 hours ago, krj12 said:

You build to theme, that's fine.  My final builds are about performance - to each his own.

Then I guess you propose eliminating the rocket packs, since there is no practical difference, other than cosmetic?   We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I do not. The game still has to function as an RPG, and obey its own rules therein. Where a character's ability is innate or intrinsic to the character, that belongs to their build and not to a store.

Going forward, the P2W store should only provide extrinsic abilities. Providing jetpacks works in that sense. It breaks the rule in places like animal transformations and ninja and beast run, but I don't think that the slippery slope away from the game as an immersive RPG and towards the metagame should continue.

There's the magic carpet and disc flight that are perfectly suitable for a magic theme.  Sure, those cost more inf, but it shouldn't be difficult to get.  Also, there's no reason why a magic user couldn't, at least initially, conjure a steam jump pack in the interim...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, biostem said:

There's the magic carpet and disc flight that are perfectly suitable for a magic theme.  Sure, those cost more inf, but it shouldn't be difficult to get.  Also, there's no reason why a magic user couldn't, at least initially, conjure a steam jump pack in the interim...

Those detoggle you, don't they?  Like the rocket board.

Making their use in missions dicey

• Like 1

19 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

I like @Haijinxideas, but I will jump in with a /jranger on trying to marginalise an actual power with something in p2win the jetpacks are already a step to far letting you effectively buy flight there is a HUGE no way

It's already been marginalized as much as it would be. This is just a cosmetics QOL adjustment for something already in game. 

1 minute ago, Haijinx said:

Those detoggle you, don't they?  Like the rocket board.

Making their use in missions dicey

Ohhh... So you want all the benefits of a full-fledged travel power without having to devote an actual power pick to get it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lines said:

I do not. The game still has to function as an RPG, and obey its own rules therein. Where a character's ability is innate or intrinsic to the character, that belongs to their build and not to a store.

Going forward, the P2W store should only provide extrinsic abilities. Providing jetpacks works in that sense. It breaks the rule in places like animal transformations and ninja and beast run, but I don't think that the slippery slope away from the game as an immersive RPG and towards the metagame should continue.

The P2W vendor has an unlimited supply of magic wands they can pull out of their butt at a moment's notice. But yeah, lets oppose something because it breaks our precious verisimilitude. Not that it impacts you, because you wouldn't even have to know how the other player got theirs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

Like the power already in the P2W vendor?

Which ones give you all the benefits of a full travel power with no downsides?  If you just want a jump pack or steam jump with no FX, sure by all means - but those are on timers and you really can't hover with them.

Edited by biostem
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

It's already been marginalized as much as it would be. This is just a cosmetics QOL adjustment for something already in game. 

no it will encourage people who hate the jet pack to skip the power selection therefore further marginalising it, I already object to the endless jetpacks, so I'm hardly going to see this as anything else

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

48 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

The jetpacks? All they're asking for is more skins (or specifically an invisible one) to something already in game. This is an odd request to oppose.

I would withdraw my objection if all the jetpacks were slowed further, like maybe half speed

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Ohhh... So you want all the benefits of a full-fledged travel power without having to devote an actual power pick to get it.

No.

I wanted a temp jetpack that didn't look tech 

The temp jetpacks do not detoggle.

Ill miss you most of all scarecrow. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I would withdraw my objection if all the jetpacks were slowed further, like maybe half speed

Why not just make the actual travel powers have higher caps? 

Slowing the jetpacks would really make certain missions that require them (and hand them out as temp powrers) very clunky.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

That's a ridiculously petty reason to deny a cosmetic change.

Sorry Titan weapons users, you can't get skins for your weapons because of OP!

Edited by Bossk_Hogg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

So if you like the pack you get the full benefit, but want to punish anyone else by denying a pure cosmetic change? Seems a petty hill to die on...

no I want the jetpacks slowed because they are not powers, I think they are too useful and have since they were introduced, I think all the "temp" travel powers are WAY overpowered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!