Excelsior - The Family Server?

Obsidius

I argue that the Excelsior server is the family server.

At least, it's my family's server.

Never would have thought that, after City of Heroes closed in 2012, that I would be able to show my son this game. Yet here we are in 2019 and he's rolled a Dominator so that he can team with my wife and I. He's loving it, and I'm both scared and fascinated :D

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

It was first me and my wife back in the early 2000's then we had our first son in 2007.  We took a few years off in 2011 and came back in 2012 then found out they were sunbathing.  My son was 4 and he had started to play with us.

Now that kid is 12 and we have another that is 4 and we all play on excelsior.  The 4 year old spouts a lot of gibberish on local though but he's pretty good.  lol

It was first me and my wife back in the early 2000's then we had our first son in 2007.  We took a few years off in 2011 and came back in 2012 then found out they were sunbathing.  My son was 4 and he had started to play with us.

Now that kid is 12 and we have another that is 4 and we all play on excelsior.  The 4 year old spouts a lot of gibberish on local though but he's pretty good.  lol

I have to echo this.

My son is 13. He's heard wonderful things about CoX for literally his entire life. It was a wonderful shock to suddenly be able to play it. It's a huge gift to us. We don't know how long this will last, but we are wiling to go along with the ride as long as we can.

Heck, I've gotten him to stop playing Rocket League to play this. That's insane.

but if Excelsior is where families are going to gather, then count me in.

Sounds reasonable to me.  I am sure even as an old school lurker who forgot to post on the original forums a lot that CoH to some extent felt like a part of home returned to me, for many it is just as much if not more so!  Only fair it gets shared with yours as much as it can be.

I was looking back at the paragonwiki page on servers and noted that one server was the "unofficial community" server (champion server), insofar as it the reputation the friendliest and most helpful server. That's kind of in line with the "family server" idea. Perhaps we could aim for that moniker as well.

Yeah I remember my Mom and Dad playing way back. I was only 11 at the time, but there was a lot of talk about CoH and it ended up being the "Family Game". Thanks to the game being public again, we play it together constantly. Making a family focused server might be fun, having family team-ups would be awesome. So I will salute you in your endeavors! 

As long as it's just a name, without any expectations of behavior or anything, I'm down for this.  I don't want an expectation of being kid-friendly, although we pretty much are by default.

You mean you don't want a Captain America emote where people run around saying "Language!"  ;)

I have yet to run into any nastiness.  That isn't to say that there won't ever be but for the most part I'm pretty proud of my server peers. There may be some friendly swearing here or there, but mostly in good fun rather than in genuine foul use.  I try to keep my stuff clean and help out.  With great power and all that...

Face front, true believers!

The reason I was on/stayed with the Triumph server on live wasn't because it was deemed "The Pantless Server", but was aptly named "The Friendly Server". It was, and many people teamed with their kids or allowed their kids to play. (The youngest I ever was on a team with was a 9 year-old and she was awesome! Her father sent a tell to all the team to please watch their language in front of his young daughter.) Everyone was respectful of his request, although some would usually make a Marine first sergeant bush with their vocalizations. I hope we will always make our server honor the memory of the man who coined the phrase and be excellent.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

The reason I was on/stayed with the Triumph server on live wasn't because it was deemed "The Pantless Server", but was aptly named "The Friendly Server". It was, and many people teamed with their kids or allowed their kids to play. (The youngest I ever was on a team with was a 9 year-old and she was awesome! Her father sent a tell to all the team to please watch their language in front of his young daughter.) Everyone was respectful of his request, although some would usually make a Marine first sergeant bush with their vocalizations. I hope we will always make our server honor the memory of the man who coined the phrase and be excellent.

After much discussion and deliberation my son (13) and I moved all our toons from Halcyon / Reunion to Excelsior yesterday. This thread was a major reason in the move. My son participated in his first few DFB groups and loved it. Thanks, everyone!!

CC

This is the server my family (wife, son, daughter) and I chose to call home. Everyone loves the game and we finally have enough boxes in the house to all play at the same time. (I'm not terribly proud of how much money we burn on tech, but nerds are going to nerd, right?)

Anyway, so far, apart from my daughter (10) commenting on how some of the girl toons are "inappropriate" (my wife and I never said a thing, this is more what she picked up from things like Roblox)... Excelsior has been youth/family safe. But then honestly I haven't seen anything anywhere on the boards or the chat channels that wasn't.

I mean, I'm not the guy who says, "language" but there's not been so much as one curse word or unveiled innuendo. I don't want to make any rules about that, but it sure is a relief not to worry about it.

Look folks, I want you do have fun and I'll do what it takes to make sure every other person playing this game has fun, so if you don't mind this one teeny favor? No strings, no demands. Just an ask.

If not, I understand, but I thought I'd ask.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

• 2 weeks later