Patch Notes for January 18th, 2020 - Issue 26, Page 4 (Release Candidate 3)

14 minutes ago, csr said:

Nor does he appear to be going power-by-power. 

Please see Biosphere's post where he explicitly shows the inconsistency in design choice for certain abilities. Certain sets are being favored over others based on benchmarks that aren't visible to us. it would be nice to actually see these benchmarks, how they were performed, and what the philosophy is behind each benchmark. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chronicler J said:

Please see Biosphere's post where he explicitly shows the inconsistency in design choice for certain abilities. Certain sets are being favored over others based on benchmarks that aren't visible to us. it would be nice to actually see these benchmarks, how they were performed, and what the philosophy is behind each benchmark. 

I was the one who posted the explicit details, not Biosphere.  There aren't that many exceptions if you consider the rules to be those Siolfir noted:

• Cones with 5 target caps in I26.3 get increased to 10
  • Cones and spheres with 10 target caps in I26.3 get increased to 16

If you use those instead of "Cones = 10 / Spheres = 16" then the exceptions are limited to just unchanged target caps in the following powers:

• Claws / Shockwave - 10 instead of boosted to 16
  • Dark Melee / Soul Drain - 10
  • Spines / Spine Burst - 10
  • Titan Weapons / Defensive Sweep - 5 instead of boosted to 10
  • Titan Weapons / Titan Sweep - 5

As far as the target caps are concerned, it appears that Captain Powerhouse applied systematic changes based upon the design choices noted by Siolfir to the I26.3 powers and then dialed some of them back for balance purposes in sets he deemed to be over-performing: Claws, Spines and Titan Weapons.  It appears Soul Drain is the only power that was singled out as being an issue on its own.  All of the other oddball target caps exist in I26.3 and aren't new to this patch.

I personally would like to see the benchmarks too, as my general sense is that they differ a bit from what I think.  Captain Powerhouse's seem to value target cap increases more, while mine value area increases more, for example.  [Edit:]  Probably just a difference in how we play the game.  I solo a lot and try to move through the fights quickly, which means clumping things up is less important to me and my metrics.  His metrics may be more like the wider player base, but herding seems to be all but dead, so I'm not sure if my play-style is really much different than the norm.  If anything, I'd say I like to clump things more than most.  As evidenced by the frequency with which I was using Hurricane to pack groups during the Penny Yin TF I ran during the latest stress test (I was playing a Fire/Storm Controller and we had two Scrappers and two Brutes but not a lot of aggro management).

Edited by csr
redundant typo; clarification
  • Like 1