Power Set Concept - Amplification

Last night I had an idea, as I was playing and thought about NBC's Heroes. Remember Ando? How he could boost people's powers?

This is a very rough idea, and I'm totally open to different ideas. Note the numbers after the placeholder power names are what level they would be available on either a primary or secondary for the power set concept.

Erratic Amplification    1    1    Ranged Foe, -Max HP, -ToHit, Special(+Damage)

Amplified Recovery    1    2    PBAoE, Ally +Regen, +Recovery, +Recharge

Amplified Pain 2    4    Toggle: PBAoE Foe (-Defense, -Resistance, -Regen)

Amplify Ally     6    10    Ally +Power Boost (similar to  Empath Fort)

Amplify Self 8    16    Self +Power Build Up

Amplified Travel 12     20 PBAoE Team, +Max Movement Speed (run, jump, flight), +Max Teleport Range, +Special (Recall Friend/Shadow Recall act similar to ATT)

Amplification Aura    18    28    Toggle: PBAoE Team, +Special (weaker toggle version of Power Boost)

Amplified Inspiration 26     35 Ally, +Special (Boosts inspirations used on individual)

Ultimate Amplification 32    38    PBAoE, Team +Special (Team Ultimate Inspiration), lasts 15 seconds, 10 minute recharge

I was trying to think how we could get something rather unique as far as a support set could go, and thought this could be conceivably a cool idea. I haven't figured out what potential buff/debuff numbers necessarily could be aside of the tier 9 as that's fixed but duration/recharge is up for discussion on that one.

Every Hiro needs an Ando.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Last night I had an idea, as I was playing and thought about NBC's Heroes. Remember Ando? How he could boost people's powers?

This is a very rough idea, and I'm totally open to different ideas. Note the numbers after the placeholder power names are what level they would be available on either a primary or secondary for the power set concept.

Erratic Amplification    1    1    Ranged Foe, -Max HP, -ToHit, Special(+Damage)

Amplified Recovery    1    2    PBAoE, Ally +Regen, +Recovery, +Recharge

Amplified Pain 2    4    Toggle: PBAoE Foe (-Defense, -Resistance, -Regen)

Amplify Ally     6    10    Ally +Power Boost (similar to  Empath Fort)

Amplify Self 8    16    Self +Power Build Up

Amplified Travel 12     20 PBAoE Team, +Max Movement Speed (run, jump, flight), +Max Teleport Range, +Special (Recall Friend/Shadow Recall act similar to ATT)

Amplification Aura    18    28    Toggle: PBAoE Team, +Special (weaker toggle version of Power Boost)

Amplified Inspiration 26     35 Ally, +Special (Boosts inspirations used on individual)

Ultimate Amplification 32    38    PBAoE, Team +Special (Team Ultimate Inspiration), lasts 15 seconds, 10 minute recharge

I was trying to think how we could get something rather unique as far as a support set could go, and thought this could be conceivably a cool idea. I haven't figured out what potential buff/debuff numbers necessarily could be aside of the tier 9 as that's fixed but duration/recharge is up for discussion on that one.

Every Hiro needs an Ando.

On a quasi-related note, it's always annoyed me a little that we have ice, fire, toxic, rad, sonic, and dark buff sets, but no electric themed one.  And/or Energy, for that matter.

Nice concept. Thanks for sharing!

One of the primary effects of a set like this I think would be +Range. 

You could copy a note out of Nature Affinity and have some powers apply -Heal Resistance. Negative heal resistance has the effect of amplifying any healing received.

I'm unsure about a toggle version of Power Boost. You could do the reverse though. An aura of some kind that lowers the resistance of enemies to mezz effects, so any mezzes that hit them are increased in duration. 

• Like 1

I mean, kinetics kind of does this - you either boost your allies or simultaneously drain the enemy while boosting yourself & your allies.  Besides containing a selection of buffs and debuffs, how would this set differ from any of the other sets that already do this?

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I mean, kinetics kind of does this - you either boost your allies or simultaneously drain the enemy while boosting yourself & your allies.  Besides containing a selection of buffs and debuffs, how would this set differ from any of the other sets that already do this?

I feel like Kinetics is quite different from what Seraphim is proposing. 

Just now, oedipus_tex said:

I feel like Kinetics is quite different from what Seraphim is proposing. 

I admit that not *all* of the powers are direct copies of kinetics ones, but you have ones that grant buffs kind of like what can be found in radiation, empathy, pain domination, and other such sets.  The only one that stands out is the one that grants a power boost effect to your allies.

Like I was saying they are essentially placeholder powers and open for discussion.

I like the idea of boosting range or negative heal resistance as well.

Kinectics mainstay is getting people to the damage cap. When I was coming up with the placeholder powers the only one I initially was inspired by from kinetics was the Boost Travel, it's similar to Inertia Reduction, but the idea was that it benefited people with any travel power, but more so people with teleport abilities like recall friend.

The essence of the set was thinking about meaningful ways to boost secondary effects of powers for other teammates, and thus the reason for a weaker toggle version of a power boost-esque ability.

The tier nine placeholder, I feel would be immensely strong, as it essentially applies a level shift by 1 to anyone in range, but is limited with a short duration and a long recharge. I thought that would be pretty unique, but not sure about the numbers for how it would play, so as it is if hypothetically it was made, I imagine it getting used for AV fights.

The tier 8 placeholder I also thought interesting in that, once buffed, the rest of the team chooses how that buff effects themselves in that the buff boosts the strength of inspirations temporarily, maybe a 30 second window or so. So Amplifer toon uses Amp INSP, and then Broadsword Stalker pops a small red, but instead of it boosting damage by 25%, it's 35%. The Empath pops a sturdy and similarly gets a 10% boost to the value from their sturdy enhancement. I'm not sure if 10% is a good number balance wise, but it seemed to be a meaningful enough number without being too large of a number.

• Like 1

An interesting idea for this powerset would be to give it a toggle it can place on a teammate that functions similar to Against All Odds and similar powers that grant bonuses based on the number of enemies nearby. Basically an ally-buff version of a power that otherwise is only available for melee ATs to cast on themselves.