Windows 10 Taskbar issue

RikOz

I guess this is more of a Windows question than a game question, but it affects my game. From time to time I run into this problem where my Windows taskbar wants to pop into the game every time I try to click something (like the chat/emote button) at the bottom edge of the screen. It's clearly a Windows thing and not a game issue, because when this starts happening in the game, I also notice that going "full screen" on a YouTube video leaves the taskbar visible.

I assume that I must be inadvertently hitting some key combo that is causing the taskbar to intrude, but I can't see anything in the Taskbar Settings that would relate to this behavior, and in any case the "setting" isn't permanent because rebooting my machine stops this unwanted behavior.

Any clues as to what is triggering this so that I can try to avoid it?

Do you happen to have it set to auto-hide? I recall that being an issue.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

It definitely a Windows 10 problem, rather than a game problem. 

My solution is to run the game in windowed fullscreen mode so the menu bar is always there - after a short while you mentally tune it out, which is less aggravating than having it pop up when it feels like it. 

Edit: Usually a full shut down and restart cycle (rather than hibernating etc) will remind it how it's meant to be behaving. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

12 minutes ago, PeterDutcherJr said:

I move my taskbar to the top of my screen on every computer I have. Why? Gravity. Easier to scroll downward than upward.

But as a result, on autohide, I never have any issues.

I originally did that myself, when I first got this computer. I was a Mac user for 22 years before finally switching to Windows 10, and I was simply accustomed to having a menu bar at the top of the screen. Unfortunately, it turned out that there are a lot of 3rd-party Windows apps that simply assume that the taskbar is in the default location (at the bottom) instead of checking to see where it actually is, and I soon got tired of windows opening with their title bars hidden under the taskbar. I don't like autohide; I didn't like it in Mac OS X either (with the Dock), but native Mac OS X apps were a lot more stringent in respecting user settings.

2 hours ago, PeterDutcherJr said:

I move my taskbar to the top of my screen on every computer I have. Why? Gravity. Easier to scroll downward than upward.

But as a result, on autohide, I never have any issues.

I do because I'm a multi-platform user, so it makes swapping devices easier to deal with. Unfortunately, I can't do that when using VMs because they put the controls on a floater at the top. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

This problem is consistent on my desktop and laptop since last update.  My fix is to just play windowed for now.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

27 minutes ago, duane said:

This problem is consistent on my desktop and laptop since last update.  My fix is to just play windowed for now.

In my case, at least, I don't think it actually has anything to do with the game itself. It's happened to me several times over a span of months, and as I mentioned it simultaneously affects watching full-screen video in my web browser. It's why I think I must be inadvertently hitting some key combo that is specifically affecting taskbar behavior.

Mine does the same thing, but if I tab over to another program and then click the taskbar icon for the game, it'll go back to fullscreen (might take a few clicks)... it's kind of ridiculous to have to do but I've always suspected Windows was coded by a Nemesis plothole...

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:46 PM, Shockacon said:

Mine does the same thing, but if I tab over to another program and then click the taskbar icon for the game, it'll go back to fullscreen (might take a few clicks)... it's kind of ridiculous to have to do but I've always suspected Windows was coded by a Nemesis plothole...

Yeah, when I toggle back and forth I sometimes have to do it an extra time because the OS UI may bleed through.