Need Server Host Suggestions

_NOPE_

Well, I'm running up against limitations with my current server host. Basically this:

image.thumb.png.17734f6fdfc8ad14cfb238e5b8fb07e7.png

Namely, the host can't handle the data that I'm throwing at it half the time, because I'm using a "shared" host where the memory on the server is shared along with the other users. So, I need a new host. I paid about $100 for the entire YEAR with this Shared host, which I thought was a pretty good price, but now that I've outgrown it, I need something else. The next step up with my current host (HostGator) is to move to a dedicated server, which is $120 per MONTH. That's a ridiculous jump from about $8/month to $120/month, and I won't pay it, at least on my own. I already tried a Patreon before that failed, so I can't go down that route again. So, I guess I need some advice.

I need a web host that's a reasonable cost (somewhere BETWEEN $8 and $120/month), and that uses Windows, since my coding is in ASP.NET.

Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

HostGator is your first problem.  Friends don't let friends use GoDaddy nor HostGator.  They both have absolutely terrible reputations for very valid reasons.  A friend of mine tried running a large tabletop gaming forum on HostGator, and he had no end of issues.  HostGator severely oversells their services (that's why it's so cheap), so they'll throttle the heck out of your account if you actually try to use it for anything of value.  I eventually had to migrate the forum from HostGator to another Linux hosting service.  The monthly fee tripled, but you get what you pay for.  Service has been very smooth.  The traffic on the forum has quadrupled since the move with no issues.

I've only used UNIX or Linux hosts over the past twenty years, so I can't help you with Windows hosting.  But, I can tell you that you get what you pay for when it comes to web hosting.  If the price is too good to be true (like GoDaddy or Hostgator), run.

That was going to be my suggestion. It really is one stop shopping. They have lots of tools to help the little buy grow.

Note: It is scalable in resources and price. Keep an eye on blowing through an intended budget. 

Microsoft might have some really good options if you already use Office 365. I have not used them though.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

...AAAAAANNNNND it's already up:

http://devtracker-dev.us-east-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/

Man, that was quick and easy! I wonder how much it will cost... they seem to separate the actual running of the thing from the cost... It'll be a surprise bill. I picked the "cheapest" server, but at least it doesn't error out from lack of memory! I'll give it a day or so, and if I can find the cost for a day and it seems reasonable, I might just cancel my HostGator account.

• Like 1
I'm out.

That's a rather messy URL though. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

It looks like I might be using AWS going forward. If it's about $35 a month, that seems a reasonable middle path between the $8 a month for the cheapo sucky HostGator option, and $120 for the RIDICULOUSLY overpriced HostGator dedicated server. I think I could swing that on my own:

image.png.ebc97bc0738c759cd36ac5ce1f3bb518.png

Now, it's a matter of figuring out how to get ALL of my stuff working on that platform consistently, switching over, and cancelling my old service.

• Like 2
I'm out.

It's an extra line on a cellphone contract. ;)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)