THE Base Issue :: Broken Portals

Ok, so for those who have started editing bases, you probably already dealt with this atleast once.

1) New bases have a stuck portal: IE, the first time you get into your base, you're stuck inside the portal;

2) Portal can be moved out of the entrance.

Both situations result in a portal that you're trapped in. The former can usually be fixed by simply moving/raising the portal, but the latter is almost impossible to fix without a GM.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I can't testify for the showrunners, but I am pretty sure the ability to move the entrance into another room is an intentional  feature, not a bug.

Yup.

It's intentional because of the "build outside" feature.  If you are building on top of the base, and you want people to zone in topside, there needs to be a way to do that.  So, yes, the entrance is moveable.

Not sure why you would need a GM to move your entrance, unless you accidentally moved it to an inaccessible area, or bound it up in a section (which is still fixable on your own with the "object" window). 

In short, portals are not broken, except by user error (which is actually understandable, given the new commands and techniques)

Not sure why you would need a GM to move your entrance, unless you accidentally moved it to an inaccessible area, or bound it up in a section (which is still fixable on your own with the "object" window).

I've run into the situation twice this week where via direct user action or otherwise the portal was moved from the entrance to another room. The result is a cage to anyone who attempts to enter said base until you get a GM (who can move freely in the base) to move the portal for you. The issue becomes that the portal and edit function become physically separated and thus prevent user self-fixing.

I had something similar at first with mine, but managed to solve it. I tried to help someone yesterday where they simply changed the flooring in the base and suddenly the portal moved and prevented self-fixing.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 11 months later

You can always do /edit_base 1 to start editing from anywhere.  If your portal is trapping you, /edit_base 1 will let you start editing where it is, and let you move it. You don't need to edit just by moving to the place where it lets you do the edit function. Using this is the way to build outside when what you need to edit is reachable by portal. You portal there - and /edit_base 1 to edit that room.  /edit_base 0 will also let you exit the base editor as well as the menu option.  You do not have to go to any specific place to start the editor. 

42 minutes ago, ssutcliffe said:

You can always do /edit_base 1 to start editing from anywhere.  If your portal is trapping you, /edit_base 1 will let you start editing where it is, and let you move it. You don't need to edit just by moving to the place where it lets you do the edit function. Using this is the way to build outside when what you need to edit is reachable by portal. You portal there - and /edit_base 1 to edit that room.  /edit_base 0 will also let you exit the base editor as well as the menu option.  You do not have to go to any specific place to start the editor. 

In case you didn't notice, you just replied to a post that is 7 days away from being a year old.

• Confused 1

If someone doesn't know about it and it's still a problem for anyone, it's still useful information I think. We all start at zero with the base editor, and there are still people joining the game. Though it may be that new people might not find this anyway with the fine guides out there now for new base editors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1