Cosmetic Power Converter to Reskin Abilities

Eidolor

An item to swap the animations of powers. Once used, select an owned power to replace the appearance of, then to choose what it gets replaced with, the character creation menu could give access to all archetype sets. Maybe the level up screen for the other pools? Might need a window to pop up on use to choose which ui is opened unless there’s an easier way to consolidate everything. Converters could be sold at p2w or merit vendors and use a recolored enhancement converter icon. Might need to limit choices by type so attacks can only be attacks, though it might be funny to reskin brawl with a dash or pet summon if it doesn’t cause any bugs. Would activation times have to be squished or stretched, or could they just be overwritten too? I wouldn’t mind replacing a quick kick with mu’s furious flurry of fists but could that let abilities with long casts be spammable? Hopefully recharge times prevent that, but it could be abused if a bunch of nukes fit in the category. Probably need an option to turn other players realism off though or else groups could get confusing.

I want to make gang war’s thugs look like necro zombies, my lich become a demon prince and provoke to look like empty mags. Then I could finally go into power customization and shove some pretty pistols somewhere they have no place being.

Edited by Eidolor

Animation customization, all the rest is just possible suggestion to make it as quick and easy as possible and arguments against it, but I don’t know how the game’s written or if we’re encouraged to tinker with files so it’s all blind.

Edited by Eidolor

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Not sure what it is your really even asking for as your OP isn't really all that clear, but it does seem to want a hell of a lot of effort on the part of our volunteer dev team to do so I will just say nope don't need anything like this when there is far more important work for our HC devs to spend time on.

hes asking for alternate animations for each power. For example, the foot stomp animation has a choice between a stomp and a ground punch. A few powers have such choices as long as the cast times match there should be no balance issue. Also i took the liberty of correcting the spelling in your response so that your rebuttal would be clear.

• Thanks 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

Pfft.  Stand aside and let a trained professional show you how it is done:

I'm not sure what it is that you're really asking for, as your original post isn't really all that clear, but it seems to want a hell of a lot of effort on the part of our volunteer developer team; so I will just say, "Nope, we don't need anything like this when there is far more important work for our Homecoming developers to be spending their time on."

😉

• Haha 1

The limitation on this is that every power's animation, vfx, sfx are timed (not to mention all the hits, reacts, misses and interrupts of every power). It's not really feasible to take something with a short animation and "stretch it out" to substitute it into another power, or vice versa.

I'd have to give a pretty hard 'No' on this, especially considering the volunteer status of the good folks working on this game.

• Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

We can plug whatever we want evidently. I didn’t know this was a thing and was more worried about how to implement it or getting banned for doing it myself. Making a ui for it would have been beyond me and a daunting amount of work, but I can ctrl+f and copy/paste!

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes/Clientmods

Still trying to figure out how, somebody may have even made something we can use to do it more easily but I didn’t see anything in tools

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/60-tools-utilities-amp-downloads/

Edited by Eidolor

Ok I kinda thought that was what he was meaning. I actually am against this then for  a reason that might seem really odd coming from someone who is vocally anti pvp in this game. The animations for powers are a visual means of quickly identifying the powers being used in a fast paced PvP match. Being able to make any power basically use any animation of the roughly correct casting time would take that tactical aspect away from pvp. Maybe that seems a paltry concern, and actually is one to me. However I am aware there is just enough of a pvp faction in HCs population that it does need to be considered how it might impact that aspect of play.

22 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

hes asking for alternate animations for each power. For example, the foot stomp animation has a choice between a stomp and a ground punch. A few powers have such choices as long as the cast times match there should be no balance issue. Also i took the liberty of correcting the spelling in your response so that your rebuttal would be clear.

You do know that altering in anyway another persons post even for levity is typically against most forums rules? Not really sure why you felt the need to start something with me but even your attempt at humor falls flat, its one think if someone actually mistypes in a way that has a different word that actually confuses ones message. But in MMO and net speaks there is a reason why memes like "Hjeakl NW!" are part of mmo culture. We all know it means heal me and is a product of typing fast while trying to stay alive in game.

How many MMO have you played exactly? Because being bothered by such a casual typo, and going grammar Nazi on it makes you come off as noob, not a newb mind you but a noob.

I wasn’t aware that we could mod client side without getting banned when I posted this, and I’ve made a new topic under tools and utilities asking exactly that. I feel that this topic has been resolved but also wouldn’t complain if something were made to make this easier. For now I’m reading up on modding guides and getting a feel for the data files

45 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

You do know that altering in anyway another persons post even for levity is typically against most forums rules? Not really sure why you felt the need to start something with me but even your attempt at humor falls flat, its one think if someone actually mistypes in a way that has a different word that actually confuses ones message. But in MMO and net speaks there is a reason why memes like "Hjeakl NW!" are part of mmo culture. We all know it means heal me and is a product of typing fast while trying to stay alive in game.

How many MMO have you played exactly? Because being bothered by such a casual typo, and going grammar Nazi on it makes you come off as noob, not a newb mind you but a noob.

uh.....wow. you got crazy defensive over a "joke" so i'm just gonna apologize for um pointing out the irony in your post i guess?

anyway to answer your question.  i have played Wow, Guild wars, neverwinter, terra, fiesta, aion, champions online, wildstar, dc universe online, aura kingdom, dragonball online, lineage, marvel heroes, Rose, skyforge, kdxy, and of course city of heroes and that's only the ones i played for a few months or longer. 

anyway, moving the subject back to the OP's original intent, @Eidolor thanks for the links i'm gonna check those out. I will post results if i can figure it out

• Like 1

H*ck yeah, lemme know what you come up with, I haven’t been able to make heads or tails of all the data yet so I’m more than happy to hear it. Also I’m still active in GW (5k hrs n/rt) and gw2 (maybe 1k nec) so hmu if you ever need a hand with anything

well ive managed to change my glowy sound but cant make heads or tails over the animations also found this 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Animation_Customization

i know its not any help but its an interesting read and shows that your original request IS possible.

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen
  • Thanks 1