Best ATs for different thematic pairings?

Menelruin

So for certain elemental/weapon themes, some ATs work better than others for the given power sets.  For example, if someone wanted to blast things with electricity, I'd recommend Elec/Elec Sentinel over Elec/Elec Blaster.  If you want to be a "natural," more basic hero however, I'd steer someone away from Assault Rifle sentinel over to maybe an AR/devices blaster.  I've heard Sword/Shield is amazing on Stalker, but don't know how good it is on Brute.  I'm just curious if anyone keeps track of which ATs work best for these sorts of stylistic combos, where you go for theme first, build second.  Like, Stone/Stone Tanker is bad, but what about Earth/Earth Dom?

Blaster: Fire/fire

Watching the world burn down.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Well, I can't speak for all cases, bu here are a few that come to mind:

Dark melee - If you want to play up the "draining" or vampiric nature of darkness, then avoid stalkers;  They don't get dark consumption or soul drain, which IMO are 2 of that set's coolest/defining powers.

If you want to be an archer with exotic warheads, then I'd suggest an archery/tactical arrow blaster over a trick arrow defender or corruptor;  Tactical arrow is just better.  A sentinel could work, but if you're aiming for a more "natural" or tech-based character, your options are limited, (perhaps /ninjitsu).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Fire/EM blaster - Burn it from out of range.  Boost Range is a fantastic power on a Blaster.

See, that's conflicting in terms of theme; I'm talking about if you're set on doing SOMETHING Fire/Fire, or Energy/Energy, what AT do you go with?

Just now, Menelruin said:

See, that's conflicting in terms of theme; I'm talking about if you're set on doing SOMETHING Fire/Fire, or Energy/Energy, what AT do you go with?

Well, there are ways to make differing sets fit within a character's theme.  If you're simply talking about having a primary and secondary of the same element, then maybe give these a try:

Demons/thermal MM or fire/thermal controller.

Dark/dark dominator.

Rad/rad brute.

Archery/TA blaster.

• Like 1

Nice!  Anyone have suggestions for Cold?  I guess Psychic kinda has to be Blaster, and Sonic is a support no matter what.  I know Energy Melee is weak, so what about Energy2 Blaster compared to Sentinel?

EDIT:  D'oh, forgot Doms could arguably be Mental^2!

Edited by Menelruin

9 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

I know Energy Melee is weak, so what about Energy2 Blaster compared to Sentinel?

Well, I quite like energy aura on my brute.  The armor sets were tweaked for Sentinels, so I'm not sure how much different it is than the "base version".  Energy blast, OTOH, is another story.  Solo, and/or with careful placement of your shots, energy blast is ok, but I feel that the kb effects aren't the best secondary effects available...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Maybe an ice/ice sentinel.  I'm not a fan of ice armor, but sentinels being able to stay somewhat at range could alleviate some of ice armor's shortcomings...

Sentinels don't get any of the aura powers so I think /ice would be a lesser pairing for me. I would rather think Ice/cold corr or maybe controller.

Dark/dark to me was really best known for a defender at least on hero side. 

Invul/ss has to be a tank.

War Mace/shield for a scrapper.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."