Highest DPS blaster?

Unrandom

Just now, Frostweaver said:

That really doesn't matter, even slightly.

Uh yea it kind of does. You tried to say it was a "rare" type of damage that is "hardly resisted" when in fact it is one of the MOST resisted types, and end-game they suffer terribly due to it against a large portion of robots/psychic users. Also, psi doesn't have something like -def attached to it by itself to mitigate the resistance issue. A lot of lethal damage does have  a -def component to slot in Achilles' Heel and the two types of damage procs available to that type of secondary effect (Lady Grey and Shield Breaker). So yes, this DOES matter, and it in many cases PUSHES lethal damage ahead. Psi's -recharge does not give procs of any kind.

Also, if you're going to quote me, please actually quote what I've said. It's one thing to be wrong about something, it's another to try to be rude about it in addition to posting misinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fire/Fire, hands down. AoE, Single Target, whatever.

Fire blast is the highest DPS primary for single target damage. Fire Ball is also a strong AoE option for how fast it is.

/Fire is the best AoE set in the game, by far, and while it doesn't have any amazing single target attacks, it's top tier for single target damage. You have two damage auras, meaning you're doing extra damage twice every two seconds without having to animate anything. Burn is also a great source for applying the Fury of the Gladiator -resist proc, and procced out burn actually chunks enough to make up for the long animation. Fire Sword isn't a bad option either. 

Honorable mention:

Ice blast: Basically fire but with worse dps (still very high damage, though). The area ice blast shines is farming, because ice storm and blizzard are better than other AoEs when you're above the agro cap.

Psi blast: Used to be the highest single target DPS before it's snipe animation was lengthened. Damage type can be more useful in niche situations, so it's probably still solid. Really bad AoE though.

Elec (secondary) can do extremely high levels of single target damage (charged brawl is REALLY good dps, and shocking grasp is solid too, and you get a damage aura), but it lacks AoE, and the set feels very clunky with the regen power being a click instead of a toggle.

Dark (secondary) can let you maintain very high levels of +damage with soul drain.

Edit:

Survivability really isn't a problem on fire/fire if you build well and play aggressive. Once you're level 50 and all tricked out, everything dies so fast it doesn't really have a chance to kill you. Bosses of even level are 2-3 shotted, and minions and LTs will usually die to your aoes before they get more than one attack off. Further, if you actually build with any kind of survivability in mind, blasters can very (unnecessarily) durable, to the point where some people farm on them.

Edited by Banana Man
  • Like 1

for a tanker buddy, ice/fire

for a brute buddy, fire/fire

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 8 months later
On 4/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, Banana Man said:

Elec (secondary) can do extremely high levels of single target damage (charged brawl is REALLY good dps, and shocking grasp is solid too, and you get a damage aura), but it lacks AoE, and the set feels very clunky with the regen power being a click instead of a toggle.

A lot has changed with i27.  Elec secondary may be tops now due to the toggle changes to Dynamo and the change to Force of Thunder.  I see high damage and lots of mitigation (KB->KD) which keeps mobs on their butts.  And you get build up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
On 4/11/2020 at 12:27 AM, Zeraphia said:

Uh yea it kind of does. You tried to say it was a "rare" type of damage that is "hardly resisted" when in fact it is one of the MOST resisted types, and end-game they suffer terribly due to it against a large portion of robots/psychic users. Also, psi doesn't have something like -def attached to it by itself to mitigate the resistance issue. A lot of lethal damage does have  a -def component to slot in Achilles' Heel and the two types of damage procs available to that type of secondary effect (Lady Grey and Shield Breaker). So yes, this DOES matter, and it in many cases PUSHES lethal damage ahead. Psi's -recharge does not give procs of any kind.

Also, if you're going to quote me, please actually quote what I've said. It's one thing to be wrong about something, it's another to try to be rude about it in addition to posting misinformation. 

Really good points.  I think it's more that people forget for PLAYERS (not NPCs) that Psi is more rarely resisted.  But even then most players, especially for PvP are going to add some Psi resistance & defense.  I didn't know that was false when it came to NPCs, very interesting!

@ZeraphiaIs there a way to graph the data on that view-only Google Doc spreadsheet?  It's hard to see what's what with it as a wall of 0.7, 0.5, 1, 1.25, etc

Edited by agentx5

• 5 months later

I just built a fire/em blaster. He's sitting at 30% ranged defense and 22% melee.

Currently having no issues running +2/2 at level 35.

Fully io'd he'll have soft cap s/l/e, 160% recharge.

At that rate everything will die before they do much more than scratch him.