Hi, newbie looking for advice

ranster44

I played this game ages ago when it was on-line but it has been many years since I played. I'm looking for advice on a Scrapper build that is relatively newbie friendly as a starter build, with considerations to I know no one on this server and I will pretty much be playing solo until that changes. I Started a Dark/Dark but that is kinda hard to manage. Looking for something a little more user friendly.

I'm going to say the best starter build that has everything is a Claws/Bio. Fast attack animations with a complete attack chain by level 18 and exceptional AoE by level 32.

The second choice I'd offer would be a Katana/Bio with Divine Avalanche adding a large layer of defense on top of Bio's sturdiness. 

Both have fast animations with cheap-ish endurance costs. Katana has big hitters that Claws lacks, but is not nearly the early starter with part of the attack chain coming at 26 and then 32. The AoE is decently good but not as much as Claws (IMO).

There are may other choices but since you asked for an easy start I'd say those two.

As much as I love bio armor, it is very clicky and kinda high maintenance. Granted, you also get some really good benefits upping your kill speed for that extra work.

But if you really want to go cruise control for groovy, I'd go with claws/willpower. WP's only click power is the Tier9. This combo allows you to focus on nothing but the destruction.

Willpower is good, don't get me wrong, especially for a new player that is just starting and will be cruising without touching their difficulty slider and can rely on inspirations, but I don't particularly see Bio as click intensive? One heal in Ablative IF a situation calls for it. DNA Siphon at 28 IF a second heal is needed or to replenish endurance after a fight. That's it. Two clicks is not particularly onerous with DNA Siphon usually used after the fight has ended to get a bunch of Recovery.

Played without touching the slider both should be about as intensive with Bio getting the large damage boost (25%, sure, but also the -7.5% resists on top of that) that makes fights end faster.

WP is not a bad choice though, just perhaps a bit squishy. Between WP and Rad Armor I'd lean towards Rad Armor. Two clicks as well but its pretty darn durable.

3 hours ago, ranster44 said:

Thank you all! I was looking at Savagery mostly because like Bio, I have never played it. Any thoughts on that?

Savagery is good, it just sins for using DoTs. CoH is a fast paced game where DoTs don't get the needed time to play it out. When you're fighting a boss the DoTs stack and it melts, but things with low HP the DoTs don't really get the time to shine. Now the thing is that the DoTs are not free damage, the damage is calculated to include them. But it's not a bad set, the animations are beautiful and fluid and it does AoE very well. You will want to ignore using Hemorrhage since it is not very good for Scrappers. Use the Maiming Slash, Savage Strike and Vicious Slash should be your attack chain for single target.

I went with Katana/Willpower. I do appreciate all the help. I just need to get a character established then I can branch out.I seem to recall base building was a thing...I don't recall how one goes about acquiring a base... And where is this difficulty slider?

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hi newbie! Super excited to have you as part of our community! 

I want to echo a few of the sentiments above with some of my own player preference thrown in. 

I know you mentioned Dark/dark was a little complicated to manage and while Bio Armor is amazing with great potential to work with most things - there is a lot going on. A bunch of clicky uh oh powers and a few toggles you need to make sure you are swapping to and from to min max your build. 

I would have suggested that you go with /willpower as well. Like mentioned above its sort of a sit and and forget it powerset that is actually very good. You can spend time focusing on your melee powerset! Katana is a great choice, enjoy! 

As far as bases, anyone can get one and decorating is free! Just head over to your SG/VG registrar: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Group_Registrar

When you create an SG you automatically get a base - just head into the base portal located on most maps. Have fun! 

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

1 hour ago, GM Miss said:

Hi newbie! Super excited to have you as part of our community! 

I want to echo a few of the sentiments above with some of my own player preference thrown in. 

I know you mentioned Dark/dark was a little complicated to manage and while Bio Armor is amazing with great potential to work with most things - there is a lot going on. A bunch of clicky uh oh powers and a few toggles you need to make sure you are swapping to and from to min max your build. 

I would have suggested that you go with /willpower as well. Like mentioned above its sort of a sit and and forget it powerset that is actually very good. You can spend time focusing on your melee powerset! Katana is a great choice, enjoy! 

As far as bases, anyone can get one and decorating is free! Just head over to your SG/VG registrar: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Group_Registrar

When you create an SG you automatically get a base - just head into the base portal located on most maps. Have fun! 

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I find this version with it's upgrades and tweaks more fun than the old MMORPG. Just gottta get my wheels on and then I will be looking for some people to play with. Thanks so much for the heads up on bases. I just need a place to store my stuff. You have done a really nice job here!

I am going to try bio with another build. I played this gamew for a couple of years but it has just been so long I am having to relearn it, plus there are some new sets I have never seen before. Fun times await!

10 hours ago, ranster44 said:

I went with Katana/Willpower. I do appreciate all the help. I just need to get a character established then I can branch out.I seem to recall base building was a thing...I don't recall how one goes about acquiring a base... And where is this difficulty slider?

The link in my signature has that topic and others for newbies to delve into.