Show Me Your Proc Monster! ... No, that's not a pickup line.

LordScrod

So, let me level with y'all. I've got some complaints with proc builds. They're on the esoteric side. They're non-intuitive. And they seem to be the thing folks want to throw at newbies asking questions both here on the forums and in help chat.

So now I'm wondering, "Just how good are these things, anyway?". "Is it really worth advising a brand new player to build like this?" To judge it, I need to see it for myself, and what better place to go than the very place the advice is being given?

So, what AT and Power Sets would y'all recommend to really show off what a beast procs can make you? If there's a particular gimmick to the build, let me know, but I can probably figure out the gist. I'm aware of Grav/Time and Illusion/Storm and a couple of others.

What's your go-to combination for PPM insanity?

--Scrod

I also recommend that you not get too attached to any proc monster builds, as the devs have indicated that they'll be taking a look and making some changes about how procs work in the near future.  But they haven't given any details on what that might entail just yet.  Just something to keep in mind before you get too invested.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

45 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

But they haven't given any details on what that might entail just yet.

It’s not worth creating undue fear over something that is likely months (or greater) away.

Having said that, the Devs have said they are targeting specifically proc interactions with Epic abilities. The original intent of Epics was to give them longer recharges and greater costs to keep them balanced, but the very thing that once balanced them is what now massively unbalanced them when procs are involved. The goal is to try and find a way to properly adjust (or code) a method that appropriately scales purpose for these powers.

@LordScrod if you want a better picture of what procs are doing, the dynamic they shift, and where the best impact exists, my signature has all the appropriate links with details, testing, and builds specific to what you’re looking for. A quick search for “Proc Monster” would have gotten you there 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Thank you, Redlynne! Also, ❤️ for 'Wall of Text crits you!'. 😄 Rogue/Angband for the win.

16 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I also recommend that you not get too attached to any proc monster builds, as the devs have indicated that they'll be taking a look and making some changes about how procs work in the near future.  But they haven't given any details on what that might entail just yet.  Just something to keep in mind before you get too invested.

I appreciate the warning. I'm not at all surprised that it had some unintended effects.

15 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

if you want a better picture of what procs are doing, the dynamic they shift, and where the best impact exists, my signature has all the appropriate links with details, testing, and builds specific to what you’re looking for. A quick search for “Proc Monster” would have gotten you there 🙂 

Thank you, Sir Myshkin! I knew someone would've already done the heavy lifting on this thing. And here I thought I had coined the term 'proc monster' all by my lonesome. 😄 Writer's hubris, no doubt.

--Scrod