Help with Traps/

JusticeBowler

But I honestly just don't get it, but I want to!

My wife used devices back in the day as a "once in a while I'm in a fix and some device will help me solo a hard boss"... but as a defender that actually needs to be, well, mobile... the set just makes no sense. Worst of all is the absolutely punishing Recharge times.

I mean, the bubbles guys get bubbles on "everyone all the time" and healers can spam heals. What am I not understanding about the mechanics of Traps that made devs so worried about them being overpowered that they were painful to actually use.

I'm going to keep going with this build, but I could really use some input from the Defender geniuses out there.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

So first off Traps just really sucks until you get SOs (and ideally some IOs). This is a set that lives and dies based on recharge timers so you need to get them down. In general you should have most of your key powers triple-slotted for recharge to keep them out as much as possible.

After that Traps has five key powers: Triage Beacon, Acid Mortar, Force Field Generator Poison Trap and Seeker Drones. Web Grenade and Caltrops are nice to have but both are more useful while solo than they are on a fast moving team (although Web Grenade is handy for AVs). Trip Mine and Time Bomb are both gimmick powers, you can take them if you want but they aren't a key piece of your kit.

Ok so as I mentioned above for those key powers you need them slotted for recharge (except for FFG, that just needs defense). Now a full "all-in" assault by a Traps Defender generally looks like this:

• Summon Seeker Drones over the enemy group. This will cause them to waste their alpha strike on the drones as well as debuffing them.
  • Jump into the middle of the group (FFG will protect you) and drop a poison trap to further debuff them
  • Jump out of the group and drop an Acid Mortar
  • Start Blasting
  • Optional: If people take some damage drop a Triage Beacon

Now obviously depending on how much recharge you have and how fast the team is moving you won't be able to rely on having all of these up for every spawn. In that situation you should alternate Seeker Drones and Poison Trap as your initiator and just drop Acid Mortar when it's up, if the team is moving fast enough then you clearly don't need all of your debuffs on every spawn anyway.

Other than that Force Field Generator is your "always on" power and you should be watching your positioning to try and cover those teammates who most need it, either holding back to protect squishy characters or pushing ahead to help out the melee characters.

Overall Traps is an excellent set at high levels but it is a late bloomer. Without SOs the recharge times are punishing and it needs global recharge to really shine. You don't necessarily need perma-hasten but putting in some Luck of the Gambler recharge IOs as well as a few sets with recharge bonuses (Positron's Blast is quite cheap and has a 7.5% recharge) makes a world of difference. Getting ~50% global recharge isn't that difficult and makes a huge difference.

You can also look at adding more Defenses. With slotting FFG gives you 20.75% Defense, add in Combat Jumping and Maneuvers and you're up to 26.7% (more if you actually slot them). Add in the two 3% Defense IOs (which are affordable on these servers) and you're up to 32.7% Defense. At that point a small purple inspiration will put you at the soft cap or you can use more IO sets to get there (you can also add Weave but I find it rather gauche).

Finally I'll add that Traps is a proactive set, not a reactive one. Your ability to save a teammate who gets in trouble is limited, but if they stick with you then they won't get in trouble in the first place. Also, don't be afraid to initiate the assault if the tank is holding back.

EDIT: I'll also add an anecdote to illustrate my points. I had a Traps/AR Defender back on live. One day I'm doing radio missions with a team and we're going up against Carnival. We come to a T-junction in the map, I turn right and start setting up the next group. I've finished off the weaker enemies and am starting on the bosses when I realize that the rest of the team is dead or taking massive damage. It turns out that they turned left instead of right. Whoops.

Edited by Adeon Hawkwood
  • Like 1

Defender Smash!

Yeah, OK. I'm starting to get it. That is, as much as I'm trying to avoid obsessing over global recharge. I might have to give in a little bit here.

The number one thing I detested about "Enhancement Diversification" is that even if you only had one or two powers you really needed to drop the recharge time on you were stuck maxing out hasten and IOs for everything and turning your character into a amphetamine junkie. The bonus for acid mortar isn't all that much better than what Sonics do with their offensive power for jeeper's sake. It isn't like the thing is so insanely over powered that it would break something for it to be "near" perma. You'd still have to set the bloody thing up over and over running from group to group anyway.

I'm definitely going to look to FFG to provide my "base" assist to the group. I've noticed the thing is a little slow though. Tricky jumping into a mob group and leaving it behind for a few seconds. I'm going to have to watch my own speed.

I think Caltrops is more useful though. In smaller groups and with good recharge (assuming people aren't spamming immobilize AoEs) it provides some interesting damage mitigation. It freaks mobs out and messes with their attack chain (I seem to remember someone saying there's a hidden "fear effect" or something in the power). Unfortunately these days I'm seeing a lot of controllers in PUGs (more than blasters or defenders, sometimes more than both). I'm with the scrappers on "scrapper lock" problems and believe that controllers overvalue immobilize AoEs .. it makes them feel powerful but isn't nearly as damaging (or mitigating damage) as they think especially if the Tank is providing good soft control via aggro. The gravity set all but proves my point.

I don't care much about damage and am not so much worried about that (except to assist with AVs and GMs). Other people can crank out the DPS.

I will say, I'm really enjoying my /Dual Pistols secondary though. It is a hoot. Not sure I'm hurting the mobs much, but it is fun-silly with the animations.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

This is my Old Traps AR Defender. Tested and Verified.

Swap out AR for DP. Full Defense cap to all positions and types.

Goto Window and Advance total to see the numbers.

No Incarnates.

As was mentioned you have several tactics. Jumping in with poison traps, Seeker drone for alpha strike, which I say is GREAT !. 

No Perma Hasten.

You could go with much more expensive/rare IO to even get better results.

But as an example you have Double Triage beacon if needed for 30 seconds. Again not a massive wow.. But It helps. One purple Inspiration and pretty much negating any defense debuffs.

You will be soloing 8/4 with this build.

I love AR Device I have a saved AR/Device and I also have Nethergoats AR Device which was way much more expensive but much better.  Again from old forums, was doing some digging since the game is back.

Hope this helps 

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Defender

Primary Power Set: Traps

Secondary Power Set: Assault Rifle

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Leaping

Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Web Grenade

• (A) Enfeebled Operation - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (3) Enfeebled Operation - Endurance/Immobilize
  • (3) Enfeebled Operation - Accuracy/Endurance
  • (5) Enfeebled Operation - Immobilize/Range
  • (5) Enfeebled Operation - Accuracy/Immobilize/Recharge

Level 1: Burst

• (A) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (7) Devastation - Damage/Endurance
  • (9) Devastation - Damage/Recharge

Level 2: Caltrops

• (A) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown

Level 4: Triage Beacon

• (A) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Recharge
  • (11) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • (11) Numina's Convalesence - Heal
  • (13) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Recharge
  • (7) Harmonized Healing - Heal/Recharge

Level 6: Acid Mortar

• (A) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff
  • (13) Shield Breaker - Accuracy/Defense Debuff
  • (15) Shield Breaker - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (9) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge

Level 8: Force Field Generator

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
  • (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge

Level 10: Slug

• (A) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (25) Devastation - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Devastation - Damage/Recharge
  • (15) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 12: Poison Trap

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (17) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (21) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (21) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (23) Lockdown - Chance for +2 Mag Hold

Level 14: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (45) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Maneuvers

• (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 18: Seeker Drones

• (A) Siphon Insight - ToHit Debuff
  • (25) Siphon Insight - Accuracy/ToHit Debuff
  • (27) Siphon Insight - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (27) Siphon Insight - ToHit Debuff/Endurance/Recharge
  • (29) Siphon Insight - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (29) Siphon Insight - Chance for +ToHit

Level 20: Assault

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 22: Tactics

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff
  • (23) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • (33) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (34) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance
  • (34) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
  • (42) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 24: Combat Jumping

• (36) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 26: Trip Mine

• (A) Obliteration - Damage
  • (31) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (31) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (33) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 28: Flamethrower

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (40) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 30: Sniper Rifle

• (A) Sting of the Manticore - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Interrupt/Recharge
  • (40) Sting of the Manticore - Accuracy/Interrupt/Range
  • (40) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 32: Buckshot

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (42) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (50) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge

Level 35: Ignite

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (37) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance

Level 38: Full Auto

• (A) Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage
  • (42) Defender's Bastion - Damage/Recharge
  • (43) Defender's Bastion - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (48) Defender's Bastion - Recharge/Chance for Minor PBAoE Heal

Level 41: Dark Consumption

• (A) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge
  • (48) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge

Level 44: Dark Embrace

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (45) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (45) Aegis - Psionic/Status Resistance

Level 47: Oppressive Gloom

• (A) Absolute Amazement - Chance for ToHit Debuff
  • (48) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun

Level 49: Super Speed

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Health

• (A) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (46) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (46) Performance Shifter - EndMod
  • (50) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1448;684;1368;HEX;|
|78DA6593594F13511886CF2CA5B4B4D05256A1026D917DA02EF1D2A055A3A14800B|
|D6D26302D955A9A4E49F44AB9701765537E80807AE30D2E3FC35D7F85CBB58AF5EB|
|BC1F9464263379E6BCE75BDE73664EFC6ACCF3F2ECC20921559FCAE8A6998819492|
|33B6DE41D713D959E12A5CB494F60574F9C9C4F26B5C9BC9E33837BDAB89E4D19D3|
|DAB069EAF39942623C9DCC18FE73D919236F640BDAEE8B7B6C6E2EA34DE40C63BAC|
|67A1D3174CA3667D239CFEE3897CEA6BCD6E04C3A3553A091FF742E3DA5C5F4FC6C|
|22AE9B05237FAD89FC74D273CB2BF82AAA62491222AA0A7999B902AAABCC35F0513|
|947164F85A5556C80959BE06D8A911023A4E3B2A5DD214D91D04B99402DF724F322|
|E8898315C3C42E55DCA51C07EA280E49112248313258AD80952A788F629DA82F3BE|
|B51A7B6AE4497A8F563BC44312EAEE762EF4DECBD9DBD576F81F729B68AF7A6EAB3|
|6CF5F07D01EBBE32BF810DBFB1C6107D682F3C48DE3ED4E967FA69AE86FDD5B03F1|
|FFB1BF061FC807AFAD1D3E1772AF057091E7031DD606B15D303D652FD00EA8B4007|
|7A0648AB87E6A8DF80C7864DB07D0BEC78C67C0EF6BCE038CA6D44AED2C87EC33BC|
|25A6F847D477DE022F96E66DFCD7F907FF02F7387F98FFB16B99F80EFC794DBC2FB|
|DCB20DDF875E315F33DF805D6FC135CA09724EF01DB4F07B30F291633F303F81CB9|
|4D3C6FF6DDB4D5E2BF78B729F271413E29810CF85B977843DAD7B71764A6BEDBC8C|
|35F4CC82BD19E61566161C9C036F10BAAD935194BA17656BEF061F820B34D7C7FF4|
|75F69E3699FFB0F23AFFF18F6FF3A0D35FEBFB40B58C3E02818A6EF35C4676EC805|
|AD55DD3BAB74D325466CCA98BAEFAC5ACA6829065D8A2E9F287D27EBFDBB9B64697|
|FE40F9BF2B3AC48D225B81E388FD3FCAB3C274BEB7038B082D54757C1219BBF5E9B|
|12B529476DCA119BF21F1FDAE909|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

• Thanks 2

I had a /traps corrupter on live and remember it being a great set to put a bunch of cheapish procs in. Acid Mortar, for example, can take the chance for -res proc from Achilles Heel and the chance for hold proc from Devastation. When you consider that the mortar hits as an AoE and fires on its own every few seconds (meaning you can be doing other things), it can get kind of silly. The mortar is also real tanky, even without your bubble, and with enough recharge you can have more than one up at once. Any enemy that is targeting your mortar isn't hitting you or your team. I also vaguely remember some shenanigans with poison trap and procs. Something to do with the mini-pet and how the chance for hold tics work--maybe someone else remembers? Also, I totally second the -chance for knockdown in caltrops. With how often it ticks and how strong the slow is you can get baddies flopping pretty regularly.

I never found a use for time bomb. Trip mine was circumstantial. It is a bit of a bummer that the two top tier powers of the set are kind of meh.

That said, traps is great once it gets rolling. Just needs a bit of investment in terms of time/money. I agree about the set being more proactive than re-active. It's a bit like storm in that it shines when it is able to disrupt mobs. I'm not sure what secondary I'd choose now, but since traps has less essential powers than other primaries it does give you more freedom for pool powers/secondary powers. **Also, traps doesn't have a single toggle. The set is very endurance light, which just gives you more freedom to explore pools/secondaries. I kind of want to go make a traps defender now in fact :)

I had a /traps corrupter on live and remember it being a great set to put a bunch of cheapish procs in. Acid Mortar, for example, can take the chance for -res proc from Achilles Heel and the chance for hold proc from Devastation. W

My 2012 build had 12 procs on Acid Mortar, Caltrops, and Poison Trap. Lot of fun throwing down caltrops and half of them fall down.

• 2 weeks later

Just for reference this is my Traps/Water. I play speed teams, a lot, so I need to move fast. Very hard to defeat, and fun! And IMO Traps does great at low levels if you take the required powers! It's not a late bloomer. Now, since I paired this with water, I left out Seekers and Acid Mortar. Notice I still have Trip mine if I want to solo. I have two heals as you'll see. Great for solo and teams.

BTW, don't pay attention to level slotting. Still a work in progress

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Defender

Primary Power Set: Traps

Secondary Power Set: Water Blast

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Web Grenade -- GravAnch-Immob(A), GravAnch-Immob/Rchg(15), GravAnch-Acc/Immob/Rchg(37), GravAnch-Acc/Rchg(40), GravAnch-Immob/EndRdx(40)

Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SDefendersB-Acc/Dmg(A), SDefendersB-Dmg/Rchg(3), SDefendersB-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SDefendersB-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SDefendersB-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SDefendersB-Rchg/Heal%(39)

Level 2: Hydro Blast -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(5), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39)

Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)

Level 6: Super Speed -- Zephyr-ResKB(A)

Level 8: Force Field Generator -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), Ksmt-Def/EndRdx(9), Ksmt-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Ksmt-Def/Rchg(42), Ksmt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Ksmt-ToHit+(43)

Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def(11)

Level 12: Poison Trap -- BasGaze-Acc/Hold(A), BasGaze-Rchg/Hold(13), BasGaze-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(13), BasGaze-Acc/Rchg(34), Lock-%Hold(34)

Level 14: Maneuvers -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(15)

Level 16: Water Burst -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(17), Posi-Dmg/Rng(27), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)

Level 18: Whirlpool -- Ragnrk-Dmg(A), Ragnrk-Dmg/Rchg(19), Ragnrk-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Ragnrk-Acc/Rchg(25), Ragnrk-Dmg/EndRdx(42), OvForce-Dam/KB(48)

Level 20: Tactics -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(21), GSFC-Build%(21)

Level 22: Dehydrate -- Achilles-ResDeb%(A), ShldBrk-DefDeb(23), AnWeak-Acc/Rchg(23), ShldBrk-Acc/DefDeb(25), ShldBrk-Acc/Rchg(27), ShldBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48)

Level 24: Vengeance -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)

Level 26: Kick -- Acc-I(A)

Level 28: Trip Mine -- Oblit-Dmg(A), Oblit-Acc/Rchg(29), Oblit-Dmg/Rchg(29), Oblit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Oblit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Oblit-%Dam(46)

Level 30: Tough -- GA-3defTpProc(A), GA-ResDam(33), HO:Ribo(48)

Level 32: Weave -- LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(A), LkGmblr-Rchg+(33), SW-ResDam/Re TP(33)

Level 35: Steam Spray -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(36), Posi-Dmg/Rng(36), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), AnWeak-%ToHit(37)

Level 38: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 41: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)

Level 44: Geyser -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(45), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Posi-Dmg/Rng(45), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Amaze-ToHitDeb%(50)

Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 49: Temp Invulnerability -- S'fstPrt-ResKB(A), S'fstPrt-ResDam/Def+(50), HO:Ribo(50)

Level 1: Combo Level 1

Level 1: Combo Level 2

Level 1: Combo Level 3

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Clrty-Stlth(A)

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrcl-Rcvry+(A), Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(31)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- P'Shift-EndMod(A), P'Shift-EndMod/Acc(31), P'Shift-End%(31), P'Shift-EndMod/Rchg(34)

Level 50: Nerve Radial Paragon

------------

Traps desperately needs some dev attention, particularly after how boosted devices is. It's at odds with how the game actually plays, which is rushing spawn to spawn obliterating them. There frankly isnt any appeal in waiting for the trapper to drop mines, set up immobile acid mortars, and fiddlefart around for mediocre results when you could throw some buffs and kill faster and safer.

Web Grenade needs some meaningful to hit/damage debuffs. Acid mortar and triage beacon need to be mobile and better. Seeker Drones need about a 20 second recharge out of the box. Trip mine needs the snipe treatment to be insta cast, and have modes with various mines inflicting different debuffs/status effects. Time Bomb needs to be a souped up version of Omega Device that deploys quicker, and debuffs as it taunts.

Traps is just bad, but what's worse is the people who love their ugly duckling and shout down requests to bring it on par with other sets. See also force fields, which has all of 3-4 useful powers that lose relevance as people get IO's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just for reference this is my Traps/Water. I play speed teams, a lot, so I need to move fast. Very hard to defeat, and fun! And IMO Traps does great at low levels if you take the required powers! It's not a late bloomer. Now, since I paired this with water, I left out Seekers and Acid Mortar. Notice I still have Trip mine if I want to solo. I have two heals as you'll see. Great for solo and teams.

You took FOUR of your primary set powers. One of which is a useless ass single target immobilize that you only use as a purple set holder. The only meaningful pick is force field generator, which credit where its due, is a rock solid power. But Traps isnt what you're contributing to the team. Being a worse water/device blaster is.

I know CoH isnt a hard game, and Time is clearly overtuned, but traps should still be brought up to be in line with the other sets. 

Traps desperately needs some dev attention, particularly after how boosted devices is. It's at odds with how the game actually plays, which is rushing spawn to spawn obliterating them. There frankly isnt any appeal in waiting for the trapper to drop mines, set up immobile acid mortars, and fiddlefart around for mediocre results when you could throw some buffs and kill faster and safer.

The thing is you don't hang back and wait for the trapper to set up, you let the trapper lead the way. On a team Traps should be initiating fights with either seeker drones or poison gas trap, just leap in there and go for it. Similarly you just toss the acid mortar down near the spawn and it'll start firing.

Web Grenade needs some meaningful to hit/damage debuffs. Acid mortar and triage beacon need to be mobile and better. Seeker Drones need about a 20 second recharge out of the box. Trip mine needs the snipe treatment to be insta cast, and have modes with various mines inflicting different debuffs/status effects. Time Bomb needs to be a souped up version of Omega Device that deploys quicker, and debuffs as it taunts.

Personally I think most of the powers in Traps are fine as is. Seeker Drones, Acid Mortar and Poison Gas Trap are all basically fine, the real issue with them is the power difference between SO builds and IO builds. You could probably make an argument of dropping them to a 60 second recharge so that they have a 30 second recharge on SOs and something like 20 seconds on IOs (as opposed to 45 seconds and 30 seconds respectively).

Triage Beacon doesn't need to be mobile, but I would support reducing both the recharge and duration to be in line with the other powers (so 90 second base recharge and 30-45 second duration). Right now the recharge is long enough that it's not that great outside of AV fights even with IOs so bringing down the recharge and duration means you can use it more often.

Force Field Generator could really use an AI tweak so that it follows you more closely, right now it takes forever to start following you and seems to get stuck on terrain a lot.

Web Grenade is in line with Tier 1 powers from other sets (such as Time Crawl), it's a useful multi-purpose debuff and control power.

Trip Mine and Time Bomb are the really problematic ones. To be honest they don't really belong in the set at all, pure damage abilities are just weird in a support set in the first place. You can tweak numbers all day but it doesn't really address that key issue. The other side of the problem is that any attempt to seriously redesign them will upset the people who do actually like them. The test server has some changes aimed at making them more usable for Blasters which will hopefully get ported to Traps in the future.

If Traps was designed now I think it would be more of a drone based set but trying to go back and redesign it around that now would destroy the feel of what is a pretty decent set.

• Like 3

Defender Smash!