Crazy about PBAE

Aiax

I love jumping into a group of mobs, firing off pbae attacks and watching them all drop.  If anyone has played a DAOC ice wiz you know what I mean.    I know this gets harder as you level and the mobs get cc groups have more bosses and lts but I can handle that. 

Back on live I had a rad/fire blaster that I was working on and enjoyed, on HC I recreated them as a water/fire blaster thinking that whirlpool would be awesome.. which is... but water doesn't feel right for the pbae part.

Which got me thinking if there is a better power combo or even archetype.  I know that elec/shield have their teleport pbae attacks and many sets have an attack and a toggle, but I can't settle on a combo.

Does anyone have any suggestions about maximising pbae in both primary and secondary, for any archetype?

Thank you!

A melee-ish Blaster can leverage this.  At least, that is the approach I have for my own Dual Pistols and Martial Combat character.  Dual Pistols gets me a PBAoE T9 (Hail of Bullets), and a sphere AoE (Bullet Rain).  Then, on the melee side I have teleport that AoE's and another PBAoE in Dragon's Tail.  I'm less interested in using Empty Clips since it is a power that doesn't hit targets behind me, and the entire point is try to get in the mix.  Now, that's a risky way to play prior to 50, but it can be done.  It should get safer the more you invest into the character, but there is always some risk.  I say so what though.  The debt badges do not collect themselves. 

Anyway, so Blapping is one way to just get in the mix and get dirty.  You could also go with some melee AT sets that are a bit more AoE focused.  Its not quite the same as making use of sphere attacks, but it gets you close to the action.  So sets like Spines, or Staff for instance will get you up close and personal even hitting things behind you.  For Spines in particular, this can work well with its toggle and a toggle from a second (Fiery Aura, Dark, even Bio).  The burst attack, while a true PBAoE, kinda sucks so you'll see folks saying NOOOOOO.  I use it, but use it sparingly.  

For a different approach, I'm not afraid of jumping into PBAoE range on a Rad/Rad Defender.  You do get a PBAoE attack AND you can spread the love on debuffs just right there.  I mean, yeah, you could do it at range, but where is the fun in that?  

Dominators can also be an absolutely blast when played in this kind of manner.  The Dom approach is control all the things.  Then you go in and "arrest" enemies that are totally helpless.  The fun factor goes up by 9000 points if you punch them in the face.  Maybe not pure PBAoE style, but some sets aren't bad it.  

• Like 1

If you’re wanting a non-brute build that can combine survivability, utility, and PBAoE Damage, I would recommend a Fire/Time/Soul Corrupter. Fire Blast works exceptionally well at all ranges, including melee, and it has a lot of AoE to give. Time Manipulation is a set with exceptional buffs and debuffs that will keep you safe up close. Soul Mastery gives a protective toggle, Power Boost to magnify the effect of your Time powers, and Soul Drain to drastically crank up the damage you deal. 

If you want a sturdy beast for PAoE that is easy to play, Rad/Fire/Energy Brutes are excellent candidates. They combine heavy PBAoE Damage with survivability, but they can be expensive to properly slot, 

if you want a super-PBAoE focused character who works well before IO slotting, you’ll probably like a Spines/Bio Brute. Spines leans heavily into PBAoE, even having an added PBAoE Damage toggle. It also deals seldom-resisted toxic damage, so enemies get added damage over time. Bio Armor is heavily focused on being in the thick of things using a combination of resistances, regeneration, burst healing, and defense to keep enemies at bay. It included my several powers which draw from enemies in melee range, which reinforces the PBAoE playstyle.

If you want a super high-risk, high-reward style of play, Fire/Fire/Fire Blasters May be your thing. With virtually zero protections, they’re the game’s textbook glass cannons. The running joke for years Ismaili that their self-Rez is part of the their damage rotation.

I’ve tried most of these. As a compulsive clicker, I tend to prefer the Fire/Time/Soul Corrupter and Spines/Bio Brute.

• 2 months later
  • 1 month later
On 6/4/2020 at 8:21 AM, Nemu said:

Elec/Fire Blaster - SAP and BLAP

This about a 1000 times over.  Started one on Live, got to around 30th before Sunset (end usage was god awful).  Restarted one here, the new sustain has so far made end a non-issue through the late 20's when my computer died.  Absolutely a ton of AoE including several PBAOEs (Short Circuit, FSC, Hot Feet, Combustion, Burn, Blazing Aura, etc.)

Edited by Doomguide2005