Star Gate: The Unknown Future

Just thinking after doing some re-watching  recently on HULU how well the SGI, Atlantis and Universe hold up. Only notable flaw is the aspect ratio of SG1 on a Modern Flatscreen. But what could be done to rebuild this Wealth of Lore, a Lot.

I actually believe the future lies more in Tying up old loose ends, creating new ones and building from the existing Mythology. Not making it sexier, fresher, more Millennial.

Missing Closure:

The Tollan:

Last heard from as Tannith was Obliterating their Cities and fleeing Ships from Orbit after they backed away from Selling out Earth. Ships? They had Ships? Really? All we ever saw was a really grey City, a Homemade Stargate, people who could Phase through walls, and a bunch of now ineffective Big Honking Space Guns. When did they get Ships? and Why? They had no need for ships with their ability to build Stargates... Unless they were establishing new colonies or mining sites on other Planets. They may have already had other "one destination Gates" for the Transportation of Resources. Either way, if they had Ships, and it wasn't Thanksgiving so everyone was on Tollana preparing for a Tryptophan Overdose, the Tollan still exist, probably in significant numbers. I want to see what a Tollan Ship can do. Gimmee.

The Goa'uld / Jaffa

I know, I know, done to death. But as the Tokra always said, The System Lords were the Issue. They enslaved Millions, and even with the System Lords gone there were still many Goa'uld roaming the galaxy, Overdressing for every occasion and Making Grandiose Schemes to acquire power and influence. They just can't help but want to empire build. it justifies the wardrobe. The Jaffa on the other hand went from being thugs, to freedom fighters, and probably back to being Thugs. It was the only life they ever knew, and for some of them, It was tied to their life goals. They at the end they had already embraced the Ori, and showed that they too craved power to some extent. Not a surprise that the Lucian Alliance was flying around in Goa'uld Motherships, they were probably a lot a Jaffa and former Goa'uld Slaves in their ranks.

The Tok'ra 

Although Devastated from multiple attacks on their home planets, at the beginning of "Continuum" there was a new Tok'ra Homeworld. With lots of Chanting. And Ba'als, lots of Ba'als. Enough Ba'als to have figured out how to successfully Clone Egeria, their Queen, with all of her Memories and build a Peaceful and Benevolent Society, with Ba'als. ( Sorry, just couldn't not go there)

Atlantis

Hey, hey there...Still floating around in the wrong ocean, they could have at least parked the damn Cityship off the right coast. The Red Zone is for the unloading of Passengers only, any... The Blue Zone is for... The Red Zone....nevermind. Anyway, this needs some closure to say the least, the Pegasis Galaxy still has a small Wraith Problem we made worse and now we're on holiday, for good? huh.

Universe

Crew-cicles, a bunch of Crew-cicles, so sad. The comic took care of resolving this but is not cannon as far as I can tell. Freezer burn is a bitch.

To be Continued.....?

Ok, time to go make some Creamy Deviled Eggs and prep some Garlic / Parmesan Chicken wings ( 3 lbs ) for our family cookout, I will be in a Barbeque Stupor by about 4 pm today so I need to put away all sharp objects and check the house for trip hazards. Later. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Reetou.

One of the most significant "but wait, if Reetou exist, then why not X, Y, Z as solutions to this episode?"

My old dev studio buddies in one of my first game projects were Stargate fans, and we came up with a saying to explain away plotholes in Stargate.  Much like the phrase used to explain nonsense in fantasy settings, where you blame an eccentric wizard, we decided anything that didn't make sense in Stargate got a different manta.   A Reetou did it!

Also one of the most painful episodes to watch from a technical standpoint.  They clearly blew their budget on the bad CGI effects, and cut some serious corners in production for that one.

When SG-1 first meet the Tollans, Omac tells them that they were awaiting a rescue transport because they were sealing the gate and their new world didn't have a stargate.  It might be that they had to repurpose their ships to set up their new world.  Omac seemed to be unnaturally paranoid for a Tollan (the rest of their race seeming somewhat gullible), so he pretty much had to die for any of the Goa'uld plot to succeed.

8 hours ago, Marine X said:

Universe

Crew-cicles, a bunch of Crew-cicles, so sad. The comic took care of resolving this but is not cannon as far as I can tell. Freezer burn is a bitch.

The comic resolution did not feel at all like where another season would have gone.  

Universe was my favorite SG.  I made the mistake of watching that one first.  The other two just seemed so dated by comparison so I couldn't get into them. 

• 3 weeks later

I'd heard several fans comment that the Ori storytelling just wasn't  up to the Goa'uld level of stories.   The problem, of course, is that they've eliminated all the System Lords.

I've long thought the solution lies in taking a page from SG: Atlantis, specifically the Asgard.   If you want Goa'uld, bring in an offshoot never seen before.   Specifically, a group of Goa'uld who didn't care for Ra, packed up their bags and headed far, far away (back to that in a moment).  Now they are returning, perhaps having learned of the vacuum created by the System Lords' demise, and true to their nature, have parasitically acquired technology to rival that of the Four Races.

As to where they've been, somewhere beyond the normal Milky Way Stargate system.  I was made aware a few years back that the Milky Way is not entirely on its own.  Apparently there are dwarf galaxies intersecting or immediately adjacent, and that they're mostly red star galaxies.  Red stars imply ancient worlds to sci-fi writers.  I'd suggest that these wandering Goa'uld investigate one or more of these, and find their new tech and power there, either by conquest or finding long dead societies and retro-engineering their works.  That raises the stakes for SG command who have Asgard tech, but now find the playing field at least leveled.

I love the Stargate franchise and have been a fan of it since the original film.  It is sad that MGM does not want to do anything with it, especially in the age of franchise domination ala MCU, Star Wars etc.  Atlantis needs a better ending in my opinion.  I would love to see SGU come back and give that story a proper ending as well.  The whole concept of the message buried in the cosmic background radiation was so interesting.  There are so many loose ends to tie up with that series.