Creating a "Virtueverse-like" site for Homecoming?

Archiviste

• City Council
21 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

@Michiyo, is it feasible to allow external images?  

I'd like to use some animated gifs that I keep on other sites like Imgur, but since 

I can't really do that with anything uploaded to the wiki. 

Hide contents

Basically I'd like to recreate/improve what I have on Virtueverse for Glyphica: https://www.virtueverse.net/wiki/Glyphica. I understand if it can't be done for a technical or security reason, but I wanted to ask before I gave up on the dream. Thanks!

I can likely increase the allowed image file sizes.

Edit: I have bumped the size of gifs to 100,000,000 pixels total.  Please let me know if this is enough.

Edit Edit:  I've also allowed for uploading .mp4 and .webms directly which should help as well.

Edit Edit, Edit: I've also allowed External images.

Edited by Michiyo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
On 11/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Corlagon said:

Speaking of images: Would it be possible to enable the use of files from HC Wiki? So we can use official icons and such without having to upload them again?

This is now possible by simply using the File Name from HCWiki: [[Image:Align_Status_Hero.png]] Which will pull the file from HCWiki directly

https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/User_talk:Mimiru
All images are included directly without me uploading them.

Edited by Michiyo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• City Council
1 hour ago, huang3721 said:

Are there pros and cons for using external images rather than uploading them to the server (cityofheroes.dev)?

Thanks.

Cons: If the image is ever removed from the external host, it's gone the wiki does not cache them.  If the webhost that hosts the image goes down, it's gone.  If the website you're linking from ever gets annoyed with "Hotlinking" (Linking to a file directly which effectively steals bandwidth from them) and disables hotlinking your image gets replaced with whatever they want.  If the website is not under your control the content can be replaced without you knowing. Etc.

Pros; IDK... you don't have to spend the extra minute to just upload it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
1 minute ago, agentx5 said:

@Michiyo is it possible to create something like this?
I can't figure out how make something like that, is there something I'm missing?  Like is it a .CSS or something?  Server-side only?

http://primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=MaekadaBox

We have basically exactly this template currently: https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Template:ReldinBox  All of these are just templates, and associated templates that they require to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later
  • 4 months later

Hi there!!

First of all... THANK YOU!!! The FBSA is awesome, and already started making some entries of my own.

I would like to add a suggestion here

Would it be possible to add a few player created miscellaneous categories such as Alien Races, a Directory of Open to the Public Bases that work as Roleplay places, and the likes?

If I were to create an alien race for one of my characters and put the info of it on the wiki and someone else were to use it as well, it would be the biggest blast ever, and I think on this cooperative medium, having a centralized directory for this information would really benefit us all.

Thank you

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/27/2022 at 6:00 PM, Baronesa said:

Hi there!!

First of all... THANK YOU!!! The FBSA is awesome, and already started making some entries of my own.

Would it be possible to add a few player created miscellaneous categories such as Alien Races, a Directory of Open to the Public Bases that work as Roleplay places, and the likes?

If I were to create an alien race for one of my characters and put the info of it on the wiki and someone else were to use it as well, it would be the biggest blast ever, and I think on this cooperative medium, having a centralized directory for this information would really benefit us all.

Thank you

Fantastic idea, I would love to have a page layout for Alien races, worlds, and directories on the wiki!

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• 2 weeks later
  • City Council
On 4/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, Baronesa said:

Hi there!!

Thank you

Creating categories is as easy as adding [[Category:YourCategoryHere]] to any page.  https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Special:Categories This is a listing of all current categories, that is generated dynamically from the current pages. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later
On 4/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, Baronesa said:

This is an awesome idea.

(also, if it's possible to do so, attach/include .costume files for such races if you develop them for AE.  That way, the look/lore is standardized, and even though there may be many copies of custom characters on the AE itself, those that encounter such races get a seamless experience encountering them in SFMA's.)

• Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!