Massive AH stock fluctuations

ZirePhoenix

I've been seeing some massive stock fluctuations. Some of the enhancements have literally crashed (over 1500+ for sale) while some of them completely dried up and went up to insane prices.

I'm hoping these are display errors and people are not dumping thousands of the same Enhancement into the market...

At a personal level I have so much spread on the market that I'm not affected, but a beginner can lose money with the volatile market if they tried to do a quick sale at 1 INF.

I believe that those are real numbers.  In my experience, the display errors only apply to the last 5 prices and not the number for sale or bidding.

I have no doubt that a single person could clear out their base storage and dump, for example, 2k 7.5% LotG on the market in an afternoon.  And I believe that’s exactly what happened.

It’s also easy to buy up all supply in a specific segment, but I’ll bet that anyone who has tried that has found that it’s hard to make inf doing it.  Thanks to fungibility, converters, bucketing, etc., you can’t keep IO supply from entering the market.

Who run Bartertown?

Maybe related, I picked up two different Hami-O's yesterday for 10 inf each. I was trying to see what they were selling for and ran into the display bug, so I placed bids for 10 inf to be able to refresh them and they filled!  True it wasn't for one of the "good" Hami's but still, that is insane!

10 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I believe that those are real numbers.  In my experience, the display errors only apply to the last 5 prices and not the number for sale or bidding.

I have no doubt that a single person could clear out their base storage and dump, for example, 2k 7.5% LotG on the market in an afternoon.  And I believe that’s exactly what happened.

It’s also easy to buy up all supply in a specific segment, but I’ll bet that anyone who has tried that has found that it’s hard to make inf doing it.  Thanks to fungibility, converters, bucketing, etc., you can’t keep IO supply from entering the market.

Listing LotG at 6.5 and getting a pretty quick sale at 7 mil used to be a safe bet until SOMEONE around here decided to poop in the corn flakes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZirePhoenix said:

I've been seeing some massive stock fluctuations. Some of the enhancements have literally crashed (over 1500+ for sale) while some of them completely dried up and went up to insane prices.

I'm hoping these are display errors and people are not dumping thousands of the same Enhancement into the market...

At a personal level I have so much spread on the market that I'm not affected, but a beginner can lose money with the volatile market if they tried to do a quick sale at 1 INF.

some folks using macros for packs and marketing.. we'll have the team reign that in a bit.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 1 month later
On 8/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, Neogumbercules said:

Listing LotG at 6.5 and getting a pretty quick sale at 7 mil used to be a safe bet until SOMEONE around here decided to poop in the corn flakes. 

Yeah, I noticed this happened right after the nerf bat on the double inf/no xp. As if they were suddenly less valuable. I will never really understand why someone would see the fast sale price of 7m, and then dump a bunch of them for 5M. Whoever they are/were, they lost a ton of influence by not going with the running price. 

Their loss, not mine. I was inclined to buy them all at 5m and relist at 6.7, but even though I had the resources to do that - I have no idea if the person behind this has 5 personal bases with nothing but storage bins filled with LotG or was leaving the game and just unloaded everything. It also seems to me to be a jerk move, even if it would have likely made me some serious inf over time. But it sure is frustrating seeing your stuff sit in the AH at what was the going price when you listed it, but someone thought it would be fun to make less, or no profit at all. Folks is crazy sometimes. 

I see two fundamental problems with the macro economy in HC right now:

1.  Supply has the potential to far outweigh demand.  If, for example, @Ukasehad decided to buy them all at 5mm, and if I, for example, felt that was a good price point for me, I could easily keep making them as long as I had access to converters.  A single person could easily create thousands of LotG 7.5% a day.  It would be tedious.  It might not be very profitable.  It might not be profitable at all.  But the macro economy can not consume thousands of LotG 7.5 a day, and by that I mean have end users buy them and slot them.  To me, it's clear that converters are entirely too available.

2.  There is simply too much inf in the system, and it is concentrated in the hands of the cowmen who have figured out how to accumulate it, and there is nothing to spend it on.  There have not been very many stupid market tricks, but anyone who wants to throw a spanner in the works can do so at any time and throw tens or hundreds of billions of inf at whatever they choose because shits and giggles.  To me, it's clear that inf is entirely too available.

So, if the first point dominates, the AH will end in ice, and if the second, it will end in fire.  I know which I think is most likely.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

I haven't done anything like serious market play in quite some time; personal observation bias has me believing that until the market goes the 'path of fire' it is unlikely to affect my participation. There is still Inf to be made, but aside from some specific high-end pieces everything seems relatively smoothed out.

Recently: I almost find myself spending merits for a Winter-O! A character had hit 50, and it was time for the build-tuning. The Winter set in question was being used at 5 pieces, but I had been sloppy/cheap with the 5 used during leveling. The AH didn't have one at what I thought was a reasonable price (even for buy-it-now) and I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to converter roulette. I actually remember to check a semi-retired market toon who had the piece I wanted.

I used to think that the market was the best place to store certain items, but recently it feels like hording some pieces has been better for my toons' budgets. It felt like some previously available PvP pieces have been in shorter supply than I remembered.

44 minutes ago, tidge said:

I used to think that the market was the best place to store certain items, but recently it feels like hording some pieces has been better for my toons' budgets. It felt like some previously available PvP pieces have been in shorter supply than I remembered.

This may be my fault. I stopped bidding on the level 10 pvp IO recipes, simply because it got too tedious. I wanted to play more. I haven't been secretive at all about the fantastic margins even at the lower price points we saw recently...glad armor 3% def(all) going for 8-9 million, and the recipe might cost on average about 3.3M. So someone with time and inf decided to bid on all the recipes and seems to have also bought as many pvp IOs as they could just so they could relist some of them at higher prices. 

Or maybe it's been a combination of people doing these things without collaboration. Regardless, the result is the same. Fine by me, I get more than a few of them a day and have no issues selling them for a higher price. My base is already full of them. Even though I'd prefer they be attuned so my lowbies can slot them, the AH can handle that for me. 

58 minutes ago, tidge said:

Recently: I almost find myself spending merits for a Winter-O! A character had hit 50, and it was time for the build-tuning. The Winter set in question was being used at 5 pieces, but I had been sloppy/cheap with the 5 used during leveling. The AH didn't have one at what I thought was a reasonable price (even for buy-it-now) and I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to converter roulette. I actually remember to check a semi-retired market toon who had the piece I wanted.

Honestly, when I want a Winter-o, I will put in lowball bids on the pieces I want.  Then I go to my Winter-O guy, and he buys 40 Winter Packs and opens them.  Then I go back to my original character and if I haven't bought my pieces yet, I cancel my bids and take what I want from Character Items inventory.  None of this stupid emailing.  Then I go back to Winter-O guy and put the rest of the pieces on the market.  

Character Items inventory is a grand thing.

Who run Bartertown?

I feel like somebody moved into the PVP space, and relisting seems like part of their strategy.

I can only describe my own use of the PVP pieces. I tend to use PvP pieces while leveling; it's uncommon that I have a 50+ build that includes non-proc pieces. My (personal) SG is catalyst/merit/inf rich, so since PvP recipes drop at all levels, my SG crafts them all and stores them... lower level ones get slotted (and often attuned, despite the potential 'waste'). If storage is getting tight, I will often roll un-attuned sub-50s into something 'valuable' and list it on the market... but never in quantity.

After the lvl 50 respec, attuned pieces go back into the bins... and if keeping the pieces in the build I'll switch to level 50s for boosting...I'll greedily try to get as much of everything as possible (watching Recharge, naturally).

Just last night I realized I didn't have an attuned Panacea proc handy for a new character, so the new character grabbed converters (from 'Character Items inventory' ) and just rolled into one.