No love for force field?

Thardin

3 minutes ago, Thardin said:

Just curious as to why no one talks much about force field secondary. I’m trying to make an illusion/ character and I was thinking of pairing it with ff. 

I'm a big fan of FF in certain circumstances... not entirely sure that THIS is one of them.  /FF will give you plenty of places to dump LotG and FF +Rech, so you'll have no trouble reaching Perma-PA (which is the foremost goal of an Ill controller!) but other than that, there's not a whole lot that FF does for Ill.  

So far, my favorite Ill/ pairing has been Ill/Dark, but Ill/Traps is growing on me. 

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

FF is just an old set showing its age at this point in the game's life. Not to say it's not bad or can't be useful (good for leveling up as lowbies benefit from the defense the bubbles provide and lovely to have on MSR's). Cold Domination, from my understanding, can do nearly everything FF does, but better. You still get defense shield for your teammates (since Illusion pets can't be buffed with them), but you also get some fantastic debuffing powers that will help enemies melt to your illusory onslaught.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I think it’s a damage issue.  Other sets buff your damage output or reduce enemy damage resistance.  With neither type of power you don’t get a force multiplier and combat takes longer.  Also most of the used to be unique ability at high level defense is achievable with enhancements instead of powers and teams will have decent defense already.  

FF is a set that focuses very much on defense.

Controllers have an entire primary that also focuses on defense.

It's superfluous, and Controllers do better with a secondary that helps with damage output.... leave FF for an AT whose primary doesn't defend it well, like Corruptors, or for MMs who always have a "team" to protect. I mean, if you're looking for efficiency. If the character concept just grabs you, then concept and fun win over other considerations.