Things You'd Want from Other Games (to put into this one)

Sakura Tenshi

Pretty much what the title says: have you ever come across things in other games and thought "man, I wish we had that in City?" Whether an interesting mechanic, a fighting style as a power, or even something cosmetic like outfits or animations. Tell me what stuff you've come across that you'd love to steal from other games to frankenstein into City of through the magic of wishing.

While there's a lot of stuff I could go into myself, I've lately been following Iron Harvest 1920+ and thought that several aesthetic choices and even units in the game would make for excellent Nemesis mob spawns, especially the faction of Saxony. Just bling them out some golden trim, ornate engravings, and plating and you gave a good look for an updated Nemesis. Helps one of the Polanian mechs basically is basically a bigger War Hulk without a clear glass pod.

jakub-rozalski-polania-walker01.thumb.jpg.954cdeaa03ce661ce1c439e4c9514bde.jpg

• Like 1

I'd love to have some of the hair options that my Aion characters have ported over to the City.... And my Songweaver and Templar's gorgeous wing models. (Talissan has the Ancients wings, while Qinn has the Noble Pernon set.)

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'll second some of the Aion wings - and flight mechanics - even though I haven't played that in ages. Having flight an integrated part of exploration, combat, etc. instead of just "neat travel power" was fun.

I mean, come on...

thechase-smaller.png

No matter what else you might say about Aion (grindy pvp game) it is gorgeous. Plus they had longer robes/dresses.

Honestly, a massive graphics and costume option update (so we've got more "graphical anchors," plus we can get fingers and toes and lose some angles...) would be wonderful in general. Then there's "customizable / make your own graphics," like one of my guys from... way back in APB had.

zpa.jpg

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

One small feature from WoW that I miss in CoH is the ability to hang little moons and stars over mobs.  Would come in handy if you were running, say, a Synapse and had found the three mobs guarding the warehouse worker.  As soon as the tank shows up all sorts of needless mobs will get trained in and it would be nice to flag the real targets.

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

10 hours ago, Greycat said:

No matter what else you might say about Aion (grindy pvp game) it is gorgeous. Plus they had longer robes/dresses.

I *hate* that flight is time-limited so sharply and only available in certain areas... But the wings really are gorgeous.

I want Qinn's hair...

QinnHair.jpg

And Khae's...

KhaeHair.jpg

And Tal's outfit...

TalissanPort.jpg 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• 2 weeks later

Thinking about my two other favorite MMO's (now both defunct):

Tabula Rasa:

1. shifting zone control with notable consequences - TR had wilderness forts that acted as villages from which to buy, repair, craft, and also acting as mission hubs.  These forts would begin as overrun, and players would have to band together to drive the enemy out.  Once out, the players would enjoy a period of time to interact with the NPCs of the fort before the enemy launched a counter offensive to retake the fort.  Holding the fort reset the clock, losing the fort meant you were cut off from completing missing, repairing, selling, etc. in the zone until the players could retake the fort. It also meant the surrounding countryside was overrun with enemy coming to support their newly-won fort.  The nearest counterpart I can think of is the Ritki invasions or the Nemesis troop assaults, but they lack any rewards system akin to the TR forts.

2. crafting upgrades with consequences - TR's crafting was for weapons and armor.  One could start with a "white" item, and if one was gutsy enough, they could risk crafting the piece higher and higher on the color scale inserting more bonuses onto the piece, in exchange for much greater risk of failure and item destruction with each upgrade attempt.  I'd be interested in something like this, where we might be able to get a type of salvage that crafts small bonuses onto enhancements, perhaps in areas one would not expect that enhancement to advance. but runs a greater risk of destruction, the higher up the color ladder the crafted item goes.

Firefall:

1. also had shifting zone control with bases won or lost. With Firefall there was also the loss of a certain kind of transportation hub, as the game had sometimes rugged terrain and a glider system that would launch from these control points.  That also meant the Firefall version could utilize, to a limited degree, an aerial assault on a control point, something COH would need to utilize due to our travel powers.

2. motorcycles and dune buggies, with the opportunity to trade up to a faster or more durable vehicle.  While not as important when you have super travel powers, many superhero concepts involve a traveling vehicle, so it would be nice to have.

3. weather effects and weather events.  Deserts had dust storms, night required flashlights.  One of the more interesting field events was called a "melding tornado".  I'll not get into the backstory, but one of these could drop just about anywhere, and was heralded by darkening skies and increased wind.  Destroy the alien material that spawned the melding tornado, and a pocket dimensional portal was temporarily created that you could enter at risk to gather rewards, before it collapsed.  If you didn't make it to the exit in time, your character died.

4. Run-and-gun field missions.  Periodically an opportunity would appear: disarm bombs, plant bombs, rescue hostages, etc. This took place in the zone, rather than an instance, an important distinction, since we have instanced missions like this (though COH opponents tend to stand around, while Firefall opponents zerged).  Often it was located in caves in the zone (but broad, maneuverable caves, unlike the COH blue caves).  I call them run-and-gun because, whether solo, or in cooperation with others, the goal was to run through a host of enemy, work on several target points (such as planting bombs in an enemy cave) and run back out, fighting through the hordes the full time.  In the bomb case, if you were too close once all were planted, you'd likely be killed.  Since these were open to the rest of the zone, people would often try to rush the job, then run out, dragging 30 enemy in their wake for others in the zone to encounter.

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

1. shifting zone control with notable consequences - TR had wilderness forts that acted as villages from which to buy, repair, craft, and also acting as mission hubs.  These forts would begin as overrun, and players would have to band together to drive the enemy out.  Once out, the players would enjoy a period of time to interact with the NPCs of the fort before the enemy launched a counter offensive to retake the fort.  Holding the fort reset the clock, losing the fort meant you were cut off from completing missing, repairing, selling, etc. in the zone until the players could retake the fort. It also meant the surrounding countryside was overrun with enemy coming to support their newly-won fort.  The nearest counterpart I can think of is the Ritki invasions or the Nemesis troop assaults, but they lack any rewards system akin to the TR forts.

We have something ... vaguely like this (and much simpler... and to be honest, not giving much that's compelling) in Siren's Call. If your side has zone control, there's a vendor that can sell you temp powers. There are two tiers of it, I think if  you keep / extend the control of the zone you can get a few other powers (like ... I think it's "IR goggles" to help see stealthed enemies, etc.)

There's just not much there that people bother with. (I go to do a patrol for combat invisibility. *shrug*) And some of the things can just be picked up at the P2W vendor.

But, the kernel of the idea is there.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

26 minutes ago, Greycat said:

We have something ... vaguely like this (and much simpler... and to be honest, not giving much that's compelling) in Siren's Call. If your side has zone control, there's a vendor that can sell you temp powers. There are two tiers of it, I think if  you keep / extend the control of the zone you can get a few other powers (like ... I think it's "IR goggles" to help see stealthed enemies, etc.)

There's just not much there that people bother with. (I go to do a patrol for combat invisibility. *shrug*) And some of the things can just be picked up at the P2W vendor.

But, the kernel of the idea is there.

You make a good point, as I was not thinking in terms of PvP when I wrote that.  I'm nearly always PvE (and so was the fort event in the other game) and can't recall the last time I was in Siren's Call.  Does it have mission givers that only work with you if you dominate the zone?   I suppose a good PvE example of what might be is if the Freaktown at the back of Crey's Folly had to be cleared out and held by players to get special vendors and mission givers, before the Freaks rallied and tried to push the players out.

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

You make a good point, as I was not thinking in terms of PvP when I wrote that.  I'm nearly always PvE (and so was the fort event in the other game) and can't recall the last time I was in Siren's Call.  Does it have mission givers that only work with you if you dominate the zone?   I suppose a good PvE example of what might be is if the Freaktown at the back of Crey's Folly had to be cleared out and held by players to get special vendors and mission givers, before the Freaks rallied and tried to push the players out.

Not mission givers. Just a store (one that's, honestly, easily ignored - like I said, most of the stuff is available elsewhere.)

• Like 1