How Hard is it to Create Sound Mods?

I am not a programmer or sound engineer.  Not even close.  I can figure some things out when given guidance though. 

How hard is it to create mods for sound?  Is it something that the average Joe/Jane can do?  Do you need special programs to edit sounds or is this able to be done with freeware?  How time intensive can it be?

If it's not too complex, was free, and if someone who knows how could create a guide or instructions on how to create sound mods, I would think that more people like me would give it a shot.  I usually find myself eagerly waiting for the next mod to drop.  But I also would love to see if I could actually contribute or encourage others who may be further along the path of understanding to try their hand at it if a guide became available.

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

Sound mods are pretty easy. The game uses the .ogg format for its sound effects, which is a pretty common format. Any software that can save sound files as .ogg can be used to make the modded sound, then it's just a matter of finding out the right name for the sound effect you want to replace. Audacity is a popular free program for making the files.

• Thanks 1

I personally use Magix Movie Maker. Works well also. Creating sound mods can be easy, creating custom sounds for your mods and timing sounds to match the power is the hard part. Also, finding the right file for the sound can be head breaking at times, depending on the sound you are wanting to change.

If you have a hard time finding the file name of the sound you want to change, ask me and chances are, I know what it is see as how I have been tinkering with the sounds a LOT over the past 6 months or so.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.  I may try to get one of the programs mentioned.  I figured that there would be timing challenges with each power.  I would assume that the sound used would need to match either the activation time or even the duration (not sure about that).  I will look at the mods that have already been provided as a basis. 

My first attempt will likely be Sonic Attack where the files have already been isolated and provided.  I really want to see if there is a way that I can get rid of the shouting style of attack and create more of a tech style.  The problem is that I have to find the right sound somewhere on the internet to use, I do not have the ability to make my own.  I also find that my google search skills are weak, so it may take me a while to find something that is clean and sounds good if I edit the length.

Magix Music Maker has a huge library of sounds that you can either use straight out or adjust to make your own unique sounds. You can also create your own sounds using a microphone and then tweaking those to sound digital and tech. Any sound can be warped to create unique SFX. It costs money obviously, but money well worth it IMO.

28 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Magix Music Maker has a huge library of sounds that you can either use straight out or adjust to make your own unique sounds. You can also create your own sounds using a microphone and then tweaking those to sound digital and tech. Any sound can be warped to create unique SFX. It costs money obviously, but money well worth it IMO.

I consider you one of the experts in this area, so your advice is gold to me.  I'll check it out.  Not sure about paying for the program since it may be all of a few days depending on how successful I can be with it.  I'm hoping to find a few open source libraries of sounds like you mentioned that may be available on line somewhere.