Mind / Sonic Controller

qwerty1971

I’m in the same boat as @5099y_74c05 here on the Earth/Sonic train, especially on chasing global recharge. The thing that would have made shy away from Mind is the lack of pets to benefit from the Sonic shields. 

Buuuut... this also means you can avoid almost ALL the powers in Sonic other than the dispersion shield, the mandatory tier 1 pick, and maybe liquify. That leaves a lot of build flexibility to do some crazy stuff. 

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

This is a difficult build to make the most out of if you're not wanting to put a much inf into it but here's what I came up with. Good global recharge, procs to make up for the general low damage, and 31% ranged defense (this combo is not going to be in melee range very often and you are softcapped for S/L resist). I left Liquefy's slots open, really depends what you want to do with it - I would recommend slotting for the -ToHit to help cap your defenses, maybe four slots of Siphon Insight then a couple damage procs. The empty power pick is for the travel power of your choice.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Resonance
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 1: Sonic Siphon -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Dominate -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(5), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(7), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(9)
Level 4: Levitate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%(29)
Level 6: Sonic Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 8: Sonic Haven -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 10: Confuse -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(A), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(11), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(11), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(13), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(13), MlsIll-Dam%(17)
Level 12: Mass Hypnosis -- CaloftheS-Acc/Rchg(A), CaloftheS-EndRdx/Sleep(43), CaloftheS-Acc/EndRdx(43), CaloftheS-Sleep/Rng(46), CaloftheS-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(46)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Disruption Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(39)
Level 18: Total Domination -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(19), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(21), NrnSht-Dam%(50)
Level 20: Sonic Dispersion -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(36)
Level 26: Terrify -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dam%(37), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(39)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(43)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(A), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(33), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(33), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(33), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(34), MlsIll-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Clarity -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Liquefy -- Empty(A), Empty(39), Empty(40), Empty(40), Empty(40), Empty(42)
Level 41: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), GldArm-ResDam(45), GldArm-End/Res(45)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(48), PstBls-Dam%(50), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50)
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Prv-Absorb%(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
------------

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Like 2

Unless you are looking for a novelty character specifically, I'd encourage a different combo. Dont get me wrong. Its playable. But it's also two of the weakest sets available to Controllers, and together specifically there is a very limited synergy.

A few alternatives:

- Dark/Sonic Controller offers many similar powers but is a more suitable pairing.

- Sonic/Sonic/Psi Defender gets access to some Mind Control powers while remaining an excellent team debuffer. 

- Illusion/Sonic Controller at least has pets you can hang Sonics debuff ring on, while being conceptually similar to Mind

- Gravity/Sonic Controller is another combo that conceptually could be played as telekinesis and is probably more solid as a combo 

5 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

No, those still con as enemies.

I would humbly suggest submitting that as a change request.  i) It would open up another avenue of play for Confusion powers if they applied a temporary +ally tag.  ii) It would widen the repertoire of powerset combinations.

Edited by Tath99
Reasons
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5099y_74c05 said:

I see where you are going with this and I like the out of the box thinking. There are downstream ramifications to consider by adding an ally tag. The main one would allow enemies to be buffed and healed. I'm not sure those are desired outcomes in the common game scenario.

Of course.  You are correct.  Steps would have to be taken to avoid players creating and maintaining a permanent pet.

Personally though, I like the idea that a temporary ally could be created and buffed -- but then the players would have to 'deal' with that ally.  Especially if the duration of the +ally tag wore off unexpectedly or the presence of the +ally tag could be made to enrage other enemies.  A double edged sword.

Extending the gameplay loop this way could be fun.

• Like 1

Mind Control tips

Learn to love Confuse. 

Learn to love that it's non-aggroing, and you can cast outside of aggro range.

This can thin down a pack that's too much to take all at once, and / or just speed up the killing of some yard trash.

Levitate/Dominate/Mezmerize is an acceptable rotation until you can work in something better. 

I would always END that rotation with the sleep, because Sleep works on bosses, pretty much one shot every time. 

So if you need two casts of Dominate to hold the boss?  using Mezmerize last gives you time to get that next Dominate cast off.

Of course, if you keep a Boss or Lieutentant confused, you have free hits on them all day long.

Consider Kick/Boxing/Crosspunch (all three).  The damage becomes quite good, particularly with containment, and can allow you to slot your controls for CONTROL, and punch things down once controlled.  Although, my Controller is more willing / needs to be in Melee a lot.  (Mind/Kin).  I havne't done much with Sonic Resonance, your milage may vary. 

As Mind/Sonic you don't have any self-heals in your normal kit... so a) always fit in a Panacea in health, and consider a Preventative Medicine Absorb as well.  b) if you can spare a slot in Stamina for Power Transfer proc, that could go nice as well.  You wont' need to go completely wild, ideally you shoudl be shutting down a lot of incoming damage with controls.  But some passive maintenence heals from procs can go a long way. 

Terrify is your AE, slot for nuking. 

And again, I strongly recommend Kick and Box and Crosspunch.  You don't need to slot Kick or Box or evne have them on your bars. But they'll beef up Crosspunch nicely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tath99 said:

Of course.  You are correct.  Steps would have to be taken to avoid players creating and maintaining a permanent pet.

Personally though, I like the idea that a temporary ally could be created and buffed -- but then the players would have to 'deal' with that ally.  Especially if the duration of the +ally tag wore off unexpectedly or the presence of the +ally tag could be made to enrage other enemies.  A double edged sword.

Extending the gameplay loop this way could be fun.

EverQuest Charm-Soloing!  My Favorite!  (not sarcastic at all, I mained a chanter for 4 years in EQ)

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

Learn to love Confuse. 

Learn to love that it's non-aggroing, and you can cast outside of aggro range.

There seems to be a bit of stigma about confuse, and I think it's down to two things: non-control characters vastly outnumber control characters so see it as pointless because brute smash and the (very small) XP penalty (that works out better over time). Confuse resistance is rare. It makes enemies start buffing and healing you. You can use it bypass "the team wiped because I wasn't paying attention" moments. It's great

Mind control is also a very decent set, although one with few frills. I'd like that they would update Containment to include fear and confuse effects like the incarnate equivalent does, but alas. I do think it's not the best pairing for sonic, though - that -res aura is very useful and you've got nothing to anchor it on.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

40 minutes ago, qwerty1971 said:

I will get a Mind controller with a different non-empathy or bubble secondary afterwards. 

If you want to try out sonic, they pair quite well with masterminds - defence buffs are ten-a-penny, so being able to massively buff resistance is very useful. As long as you can keep the -res aura where you need it you've got an army of indestructible chainsaw minions

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas