Kat with SR vs WP

drgantz

I've recently been trying both.  My SR is now level 44 and my WP is 42.  I invite anyone to give their own comments.

My SR burned a lot of end, especially in large fights.  Sometimes the toggles would drop because end ran out.  I also used a large number of greens during some fights, since SR doesn't heal.  I couldn't use many toggle pool powers because they would burn too much end.

My WP occasionally ran out of end, but not often.  I rarely used greens, since WP self heals.  I could last longer in fights and keep fighting.  I could use some toggle pool powers as well.

I liked SR because of character conception, but then I thought that this is a game, not a movie.  What I mean is that if you watch an action movie, you can see the dodges and blocks.  In a game,  you can't see them.  I have to use my imagination to think that they are dodging.  Therefore, many defensive powers can fit a similar character conception.

I think the two sets are very, very different.  Willpower is a mixed typed defense with resists and regeneration powers.  SR is positional defense, no self heal or regeneration powers and scaling resistance that kicks in as you take damage. 

SR also has DDR, Willpower has none.  SR's ddr should be over 90 and can be 95% meaning the set can basically ignore defense debuffs.  Willpower will feel every defense debuff and will experience cascade failure which can result in very rapid death when incoming damage exceeds its passive but potentially massive regeneration.  Damage for SR can be very spikey as "lucky" hits land often going from essentially full health to red/dead.  Getting a feel for which red-lining hits are a real threat and which you'll recover from is part of learning SR's learning curve (and watching combat attributes).  I've taken hits making me very colorful and basically ignored it knowing my natural regeneration and scaling resistance will let me survive without using inspires or other options to heal.  

I would expect an SR in the low to mid 40's to be leaving endurance woes behind.  Are we still on SO's, basic IO's or getting sets?  Are the recovery and +end IO's in the build or +max end accolades?

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, drgantz said:

I've recently been trying both.  My SR is now level 44 and my WP is 42.  I invite anyone to give their own comments.

My SR burned a lot of end, especially in large fights.  Sometimes the toggles would drop because end ran out.  I also used a large number of greens during some fights, since SR doesn't heal.  I couldn't use many toggle pool powers because they would burn too much end.

My WP occasionally ran out of end, but not often.  I rarely used greens, since WP self heals.  I could last longer in fights and keep fighting.  I could use some toggle pool powers as well.

I liked SR because of character conception, but then I thought that this is a game, not a movie.  What I mean is that if you watch an action movie, you can see the dodges and blocks.  In a game,  you can't see them.  I have to use my imagination to think that they are dodging.  Therefore, many defensive powers can fit a similar character conception.

You are right on the fit a similar theme.  The name of the sets it really just meta/gameplay for a lot of them with aura effects to make them different.

WP has a -ToHit in RTTC, which I felt helped it's lack of DDR.  I also felt Strength of Will gets overlooked in the set.  SoW, when fully IOed out is a great power imo.  Either when you know you're going to be in over your head and need that boost going in or as you see yourself starting to fall.

No, it's no last second save, since it doesn't include a self heal, but when used at the right times, I was able to keep powering through on a DB/WP Scrapper on live.  Also helped when taunting Recluse on a Scrapper in a Ms Liberty TF.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Just a slight correction, WP has 17.3% DDR at level 50 for a scrapper (from heightened senses).  Close to none, but not none.

Truth

And one thing about Katana is Divine Avalanche.  Find yourself getting in trouble via cascade failure because you're getting defdebuffs working DA into the chain would/could stop the cascade failure before it gets totally out of hand and hopefully let you turn it around or buy the time to gracefully get outta dodge (assuming you keep it in the build and of course the attacks are the right type)

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1