Favorite Patron/Ancillary Pools for Controllers

Normal Thomas

So what's are the favorite patron and ancillary pools for Controllers? While I do mean this in general (I'm always super interested in what powersets are consider "the best") I'm also looking for a specific pool that will vibe well with my Gravity/Time Manipulation Controller.  This build is a rough outline and a bit fantasy (probably don't have the dedication to get all those IO sets) but these are the powers I'm hoping to pick up. As far as what I am considering here it what I am considering:

I already have a nice attack chain and damage output cause of my primary so I'm looking to augment that and hopefully add some utility. I'm very interested in Primal Forces cause of power boost but I do find the utility and damage output of the other sets I listed good as well. Obviously I got the late game in mind and while I'm not super dedicated to being the best and being able to solo +4/x8 etc. I'd like something that could keep up.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Concealment

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(17), Acc-I(17), Acc-I(19)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- Acc-I(A), Slow-I(50)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- Dmg-I(A), Dmg-I(3), Hold-I(3), RechRdx-I(5), Acc-I(5), Acc-I(7)
Level 4: Temporal Mending -- HO:Golgi(A), HO:Golgi(7), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 6: Propel -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(9), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Apc-Acc/Rchg(11), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Apc-Dam%(13)
Level 8: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Time's Juncture -- EndRdx-I(A), Slow-I(19), Slow-I(21)
Level 12: Hover -- Srn-Fly(A), Srn-EndRdx(46), Srn-EndRdx/Fly(50)
Level 14: Temporal Selection -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- Slow-I(A), Slow-I(29), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- Hold-I(A), Hold-I(21), RechRdx-I(25), RechRdx-I(25), Acc-I(27), Acc-I(27)
Level 20: Time Stop -- Hold-I(A), Acc-I(37), Acc-I(37)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Crushing Field -- GrvAnc-Immob(A), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(37), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(40), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(43), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(43), GrvAnc-Hold%(43)
Level 26: Stealth -- DefBuff-I(A), EndRdx-I(36)
Level 28: Farsight -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), DefBuff-I(31), DefBuff-I(34)
Level 30: Wormhole -- Acc(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Dmg-I(33), Dmg-I(33), Acc-I(33), Hold-I(34), Hold-I(34)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), Acc-I(36)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(39), RechRdx(39), EndMod(39), EndMod(40), EndMod(40)
Level 41: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 44: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 47: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 49: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(15), EndMod-I(15)
------------

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

My first option for all Controllers is Ice Mastery. Frost Breath can get damage procs to get it up to 400 damage and it's up every fight (twice most fights), which means that an AT that normally struggles to help with AoE damage (or to clear spawns if soloing) goes from very little AoE damage to pretty decent AoE damage. This is true for almost all Controller combinations, though Plant does do pretty well with spawn clearing, and Fire isn't bad. And Ice Storm is in the same pool, and it's up every other fight for another 400 damage.

Another excellent option is Stone Mastery. It adds decent AoE damage with Fissure, which is up several times a fight, since you put Force Feedback in it, and if fighting large spawns will trigger very often. And it helps with recharge on other powers, also. And Seismic Smash is juicy single-target damage, though more useful on sets that are going to be in melee range normally.

For example, I have an Earth/Cold Controller. If I go with Ice, she becomes an AoE beast for Controllers with 300 damage from procced up Stalagmites, 130 from Wall of Force (used mostly to trigger Force Feedback), then 400 from Frost Breath. So I get a Force Feedback activation and 800 AoE damage, clearing minions and most LTs. But Stone is a big pull also, since it helps get Stalagmites out faster and also Volcanic Gases plus the Cold debuffs. So it's a tight call between more Recharge effect but lower damage from Fissure, or less Recharge but way more damage. I think I'll start with Ice and see if Stalagmites is up as an opener for spawns without problem. If it feels that it needs more Recharge, I can go with Stone.

Those are my two basic APP choices, but there are others that I may go with for thematic reasons, or going with Psy and the Sorcery pool to alternate Rune of Protection and Indomitable Will for mez protection if it's an aura-based character who will be in melee. But with /Time, I think that Power-Boosted Farsight is a very good reason to go with Primal. Both Stone and Ice do bring in a Defense shield that will easily cap S/L with Farsight... but I'm not sure that's as good as getting a Resist shield that will stack behind Defense, and you can cap Ranged Defense and probably either Melee or AoE with PB-Farsight.

Fire Mastery is right out. It's supposed to bring more damage, but Ice is just way better for AoE. Faster animation on Fireball isn't bad, but for bringing nothing but damage it's not good enough at it.

Mu isn't bad on non-healing secondaries as it brings in a healing pet, and while the AoE isn't impressive it does have a fast animation. I wouldn't take it on a /Time, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coyote said:

Fire Mastery is right out. It's supposed to bring more damage, but Ice is just way better for AoE. Faster animation on Fireball isn't bad, but for bringing nothing but damage it's not good enough at it.

Don’t underestimate the ranged single target attack. I like chaining Hold -> Fire Blast for some decent single target damage with containment. For illusion, you get Hold -> Spectral Wounds -> Fire Blast. 

The resistance armor is nice on my Fire/Dark controller since I can softcap with Fade, pool powers, and set bonuses.

EDIT: You might have ignored Fire Blast because Gravity already has a single target attack chain. I stand by my comment in general, but it’s not important for a Gravity controller. 

Edited by HoundsTooth
  • Like 1

I am a major fan of Psi Mastery.  I guess that is because I am always strapped for slots and I can get Psi for 2 powers (Indomitable Will and Mind Over Body) slot 0-3 slots in them and feel like I have exactly what I need.  IW removes the need for Clarion and is a LotG mule and Mind Over Body can mule a Resist IO of some sort if that is the best in slotting I have for it.  But at least 2 of my trollers have perma IW.  

• Like 1

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Psi Mastery stands out because of Indom Will and still getting a resist armor. Indom Will is just a flat out incredible power for Controllers. One of the strongest powers in any APP pool for any AT. 

For Electric Controllers, Mu Mastery for Power Sink.

Primal is great for builds that can use Power Boost.

Leviathan has Water Spout, which IMO is a power that doesn't get nearly enough respect.

• Like 2

I'll also throw my hat in for Primal. Power Boosted Farsight, especially combined with Time's Juncture (if you run it) puts you well past the defense cap, and that's without any IOs or other fancy tricks.

This type of combo IS in line for an "adjustment", but that may not be for a while, so I'd say enjoy it while you can!

• Like 1

I like Ice and Stone, but I would definitely go Primal for /TIme. Power Boost + Farsight (or Power Boost + Clarion Radial + Farsight) is just sick.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

10 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Psi Mastery stands out because of Indom Will and still getting a resist armor. Indom Will is just a flat out incredible power for Controllers. One of the strongest powers in any APP pool for any AT. 

For Electric Controllers, Mu Mastery for Power Sink.

Primal is great for builds that can use Power Boost.

Leviathan has Water Spout, which IMO is a power that doesn't get nearly enough respect.

Mez protection and psi resistance definitely seems like a pretty killer app for an APP/PPP. The main thing keeping me from it is the long animation times for the attacks. Like, propel already takes a minute so I want some faster attacks too. That and psionic doesn't necessarily fit with my theming.

Ice seems way more tempting now but I definitely feel secure in my decision to do primal forces.

Definitely interested in more opinions and experiences with the PPPs.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

13 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I've been mixing Indom Will with Rune of Protection for 100% uptime mez protection :D It sure is a shame you can't pick it up from the Def/Cor psi pools.

Can't agree more.

My issue with Indom Will is that you can't click it while you're mezzed.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

44 minutes ago, Uun said:

My issue with Indom Will is that you can't click it while you're mezzed.

That is what you get it going Perma 😉 

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!