Frames Per Second in COH

Teh_Artic

This is a very curious thing in my mind recently as im getting a new monitor ( 360hz ) and i plan to use it with other games that i play Val/CSGO etc 

and i was curious. 

Does COH have a fps cap and if so say if the cap is 200 ( for example ) and ur able to get 200 fps constantly would u actually see / feel the difference of that vs a 30hz or 60hz like in other games, or is COH just so old it does not work that way or its capped at something super low like 30 fps or something? Im just really curious how /  if it would affect this game 

Anyone know for sure?

Admins help? 

thank you in advance

Edited by Teh_Artic

www.YouTube.com/TehArticPro

iirc by default there isn't any FPS cap. You can set one with /maxfps # and /maxinactivefps # up to any 3 digit number, so it should technically work fine with a high framerate if your computer can pull those numbers. You can also use /showfps 1 to enable a counter if you wanna gauge your performance (replace the 1 with a 0 to disable it.)

I don't have a lot of experience with high refresh rate monitors, but I know in general that it's not exactly going to make any difference on CoH's gameplay like it would with something like CSGO. It'll probably look a little nicer, at least.

• Like 2

It's definitely not capped.. I've managed to get it up to 400 fps before, but mind you that is running under Linux which has decent OpenGL implementations. OpenGL drivers on Windows tend to be neglected since games almost universally use DirectX there, and I could never get it to run more than about 90-100 fps under Windows 10, and it fluctuates wildly depending on what's going on in the game.

Personally, there are definitely noticeable improvements going from 30 to 60 to about 100 fps... past that point I've never been able to tell, so I'm not sure pushing it to 200 fps or more really does much. That may be entirely subjective though.

• Like 3

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

May I ask what Linux distribution you were using when you got the high FPS results?

And what emulation?

I had some good luck early on with "bare" WINE and Winetricks, on Fedora 31, but since rebuilding my machine I haven't delved into that rabbit hole.

I see LUTRIS has some CoH scripts, but again, haven't tried them out.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I use Pop_OS 20.04 and Lutris, which I configured myself rather than using the public scripts. The Wine option I'm using is specifically lutris-5.7-x86_64.

• Thanks 1

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

On 10/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, RubyRed said:

I use Pop_OS 20.04 and Lutris, which I configured myself rather than using the public scripts. The Wine option I'm using is specifically lutris-5.7-x86_64.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, DoctorDitko said:

May I ask what Linux distribution you were using when you got the high FPS results?

And what emulation?

I had some good luck early on with "bare" WINE and Winetricks, on Fedora 31, but since rebuilding my machine I haven't delved into that rabbit hole.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, DoctorDitko said:

And what emulation?

Just wondering but is that a mod just to make the game look nicer or run smoother on ur OS of ur PCs? 

also tyvm

On 10/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, @Ghost said:

iirc by default there isn't any FPS cap. You can set one with /maxfps # and /maxinactivefps # up to any 3 digit number, so it should technically work fine with a high framerate if your computer can pull those numbers. You can also use /showfps 1 to enable a counter if you wanna gauge your performance (replace the 1 with a 0 to disable it.)

I don't have a lot of experience with high refresh rate monitors, but I know in general that it's not exactly going to make any difference on CoH's gameplay like it would with something like CSGO. It'll probably look a little nicer, at least.

tyvm i am curious what else if anything would it do for COH? High refresh rate/plus high fps. Would it cuz more awareness of incoming dmg from NPCs / Players or would u see the NPCs/Players slightly faster if ur coming around i corner or down a hallway. I know its not like CSGO for example but i am just curious is all. I wish this game was more popular becuz i really love seeing all this kinda stuff flushed out on videos showing actual tests and what not you know?

2 hours ago, Teh_Artic said:

tyvm i am curious what else if anything would it do for COH? High refresh rate/plus high fps. Would it cuz more awareness of incoming dmg from NPCs / Players or would u see the NPCs/Players slightly faster if ur coming around i corner or down a hallway. I know its not like CSGO for example but i am just curious is all. I wish this game was more popular becuz i really love seeing all this kinda stuff flushed out on videos showing actual tests and what not you know?

Somebody smarter could probably explain this better, but I can try my best. I'll use TF2 as an example, since it's a shooter I've sunk a lot of hours into.

For something like 120fps (or higher), you can feel that difference even on a 60hz monitor. Your responses are registering quicker, even if you can't actually see the screen updating as fast as your computer's rendering it. For CoH, I cap the framerate at 60fps just so my graphics card fan doesn't make a ton of noise. When I tried capping TF2 at 60fps, I could immediately feel the difference from it usually running around 120 or so - I was so used to the gameplay that even the tiniest change felt really weird. For a 120hz (or higher) monitor you can actually see that difference in real time.

The trouble with CoH is that it's a pretty slow game. A high framerate would mean your power activations and stuff would be faster, you'd see immediately when it starts and when the server registers it... but then you're locked into an animation. Same thing with enemies moving, you'd see it happen much smoother and maybe ever so slightly faster, but the game's not really built on those split-second decisions like a shooter is. Server lag is also a big contributor here - Homecoming is much more responsive than the live servers were, but MMOs in general send and receive information slower. Someone playing at 30fps might see the enemy a liiiittle bit slower, and their reaction might be a liiiittle bit slower too, but server lag could eat up all the difference.

The biggest differences in feel I can guess that you'd notice are things that don't rely on the server: menus, typing, the way the camera moves. Obviously everything will look better, too.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, @Ghost said:

The trouble with CoH is that it's a pretty slow game. A high framerate would mean your power activations and stuff would be faster, you'd see immediately when it starts and when the server registers it... but then you're locked into an animation. Same thing with enemies moving, you'd see it happen much smoother and maybe ever so slightly faster, but the game's not really built on those split-second decisions like a shooter is. Server lag is also a big contributor here - Homecoming is much more responsive than the live servers were, but MMOs in general send and receive information slower. Someone playing at 30fps might see the enemy a liiiittle bit slower, and their reaction might be a liiiittle bit slower too, but server lag could eat up all the difference.

I've always felt like there is something tied to the way the brain picks up on frames-per-second most of us, including myself, don't quite understand. Because if you go by what feels intuitive, a difference of 1/30th of a second or 1/60th of a second shouldn't matter when your ping to the server is 1/10th of a second or even 1/5th of a second anyway. And yet it does. Forget 30 vs 60, I can tell the difference between 50-55 FPS and 60 FPS in CoH in a blind test. Not to the point I will be able to jump on my seat and tell you "oh! we are running at exactly 52 FPS now!", but to the point I can tell something is off, and lo and behold, once I type "/showfps 1" I see I'm at 52 FPS instead of 60 FPS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @Ghost said:

Somebody smarter could probably explain this better, but I can try my best. I'll use TF2 as an example, since it's a shooter I've sunk a lot of hours into.

For something like 120fps (or higher), you can feel that difference even on a 60hz monitor. Your responses are registering quicker, even if you can't actually see the screen updating as fast as your computer's rendering it. For CoH, I cap the framerate at 60fps just so my graphics card fan doesn't make a ton of noise. When I tried capping TF2 at 60fps, I could immediately feel the difference from it usually running around 120 or so - I was so used to the gameplay that even the tiniest change felt really weird. For a 120hz (or higher) monitor you can actually see that difference in real time.

The biggest differences in feel I can guess that you'd notice are things that don't rely on the server: menus, typing, the way the camera moves. Obviously everything will look better, too.

THANK YOU! This for sure makes sense. I truly appreciate it 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Teh_Artic said:

Just wondering but is that a mod just to make the game look nicer or run smoother on ur OS of ur PCs?

Lutris is just another system to help Linux OSes emulate Winders (I know, W.I.N.an.E.) but it makes it easier for folks to share settings/scripts that work well for particular games.

If you are running Winders, if won't help you unless you switch to Linux. *

There is a utility call ReShade for Winders that can make the game look better, at least to some people's eyes. It has a preset for COH.

Good luck!

* Which you should totally do. You can thank me later, after SkyNet. Or the Matrix. Or the Gray Goo. All of which will run on Winders. Guaranteed!

Edited by DoctorDitko

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

10 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

* Which you should totally do. You can thank me later, after SkyNet. Or the Matrix. Or the Gray Goo. All of which will run on Winders. Guaranteed!

If they do, then they're not a threat, since Winders forces feature updates through that can cause the system to crash.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, Twisted Toon said:

If they do, then they're not a threat, since Winders forces feature updates through that can cause the system to crash.

I figure the Gray Goo will be one of these, but good point on SkyNet!

On 10/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, DoctorDitko said:

There is a utility call ReShade for Winders that can make the game look better, at least to some people's eyes. It has a preset for COH.

Tried this out - I could get it working with WoW, but not with CoH. Nor did I find CoH on the preset list.