Superprism's Reshade Preset

serbwizard

Ever wanted to City of Heroes to look better and the revamped graphics still not cutting it for you? I've put together a Reshade preset that adds in MXAO, bloom, vibrance, ambient lighting, godrays + more! It adds so much more body and lighting to CoH that's sadly missing from the base game. Ouroboros is a particular standout: the original lighting is flat and lifeless, but bloom and ambient lighting through Reshade adds a whole new dimension to the zone. The screenshots do more justice than I can post, so the comparison is below:

No Reshade

cohreshade2.jpg

Reshade

cohreshade.jpg

No Reshade

cohreshade4.jpg

Reshade

cohreshade3.jpg

No Reshade

cohreshade5.jpg

Reshade

cohreshade6.jpg

No Reshade

cohreshade8.jpg

Reshade

cohreshade7.jpg

Download the preset here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/537wc380p54ho9i/CoHReshade.ini/file

To install, download and install Reshade (https://reshade.me/) to the CoH directory with OpenGL as the game engine.

You need to install Reshade to the cityofheroes.exe in the live folder (example path: C:\Games\Homecoming\bin\win64\live).

Enable all textures and shaders, and select CoHReshade.ini as the preset and you're done!

A final heads up; there may be some performance hit, depending on your computer. Hope you try this out, and enjoy! 🙂

Edited by serbwizard
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a general rule, I'm really skeptical of Reshade presets, but I actually think all of these screenshots do look a lot nicer! I will give this a try later, I'm not used to seeing a reshade preset add better shadows. In the first pair, you didn't change any of the settings in CoH the game proper at all?

I'm going to try this out regardless, but if I may make a request: even really pretty ReShade presets often harm visibility in gameplay. I think it might be helpful to add comparison shots from dark environments where people often have trouble distinguishing characters from the background, like Arachnos lairs and Croatoa, to see how those look. I may do so myself when I get back to my computer.

• Like 1

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

no difference in settings at all between shots! i'm running on max settings fyi. you're right about darkness - i'll try to get some shots of that. it's a hard balance between getting nice shadows and shading and preserving visibility in the dark, and unfortunately it can't really be tweaked between all the different environments, but i think i managed to get a good balance and compromise. feel free to try it yourself, take screens of your own and lemme know any critiques - feel free to edit the preset as well if you've found a better config! all in the name of making CoH look its best :)

Any effect on overall frame rate?  I'm all for a prettier experience, but if it slows things down to slide-show speeds in a simple 8-man team run, I'd have to think twice before trying it.

it'll depend on your computer really - i get performance slowdown from upping the original settings than i do from Reshade. give it a go and see if it has any impact on your FPS

Having trouble getting Reshade to work -- installed, set to DXD9. Set it to open on both cityofheroes.exe and homecoming.exe -- no dice. Something I'm missing?

i've just got it to open on cityofheroes.exe, having it on both might be the issue?

As a general rule, I'm really skeptical of Reshade presets, but I actually think all of these screenshots do look a lot nicer! I will give this a try later, I'm not used to seeing a reshade preset add better shadows. In the first pair, you didn't change any of the settings in CoH the game proper at all?

I'm going to try this out regardless, but if I may make a request: even really pretty ReShade presets often harm visibility in gameplay. I think it might be helpful to add comparison shots from dark environments where people often have trouble distinguishing characters from the background, like Arachnos lairs and Croatoa, to see how those look. I may do so myself when I get back to my computer.

as requested: more screenshots of darker and villain areas. it's definitely darker than vanilla, but i think it adds enough atmosphere and enhanced lighting to be worth it.

No Reshade

screenshot-190723-11-11-32.jpg

Reshade

homecoming-2019-07-23-11-11-31.png

No Reshade

screenshot-190723-11-10-15.jpg

Reshade

homecoming-2019-07-23-11-10-15.png

No Reshade

screenshot-190723-11-09-06.jpg

Reshade

homecoming-2019-07-23-11-09-06.png

No Reshade

screenshot-190723-10-40-44.jpg

Reshade

homecoming-2019-07-23-10-40-43.png

No Reshade

screenshot-190723-10-32-09.jpg

Reshade

homecoming-2019-07-23-10-32-08.png

It ain't DiGiorno, b/c OP delivered. +1 inf.

Shame I can't get Reshade working to test out some of those lighting options for myself.

really sorry about this! i'm not sure how to get it working unfortunately, might be worth going over and asking the Reshade devs? installation instructions have worked for other people, you're the first one who's had an issue! hope you can find a fix for it

• 2 weeks later
  • 11 months later

late to the party like always.

I had the same problem as Sunette 

But i figured if i put it on Homecoming.exe like how Serbwizard said to. 

then after made a shortcut with -patchversion 20200628_1602 -auth 51.161.76.201 -patchdir homecoming

after the " " target. you log into the game. 

but only works if you add the right patch. if they update anytime you have to go back to https://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml and get the right patch number

i used the line with Homecoming 64bit

• 11 months later

I have an odd question. I got a new computer and now Homecoming isnt using Tequila anymore and has its own launcher. Unlike Tequila it just launches the game and does not have a direct path to the actual game file. Do we have a way to link Reshade to it with the new launcher? 

• 11 months later

Found this thread and have been tinkering with Gshader (instead of Reshade, but same difference I believe).

It does add more life to the graphics. Though it cannot fully replace something native such as godrays coming off my tanker's auras.

But with nothing:

image.png.926e78276925521d60a1310363b26b32.png

And with a select few filters on:

image.png.f9b42d84f41f2cf0e3be50ef0cc9e481.png

Annoyingly I can make the background graphics a lot nicer with less of the haze and removing the blue tint, but then the character itself and the auras start getting all iffy. Even so the trees and shadows really pop out more.

I was using Gshade, not Reshade btw, but had to turn the whole shebang off when I first tried to play and saw my usual 60 FPS drop down to 25.

Just a quick bump - this still works years later! Unfortunately I can't relocate this topic to the downloads folder (I made it before that existed!) I've reuploaded the preset file and updated the instructions in the OP as they were a bit confusing too. Hope you still enjoy this!

Edited by serbwizard

Some look worse with reshade in my opinion, others look great but hey, kudos for the effort with the screenshots.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)