Respec Trial/Task Force

quill

Hi! My apologies if this is an old topic but here goes.

1. Is it possible with the coding/mechanics of the game to switch power sets? If not, my next question/suggestion is irrelevant.

2. Because there are respect recipes in the game, running Trials/Task Force  that award a respec seem pointless/underwhelming (unless the cost is prohibitive).

I thought it would be super useful to reward a player who did run the TF/Trial to change a power set. For instance I have a bubble/dark defender and am considering rerolling to a bubble/sonic. I would much rather, after getting alpha/vet levels on this character, to run something challenging/punishing (I am looking at you Shadow Shard..../shiver) to achieve a power swap.

Thanks for your consideration and replies!

P.S. Thank you so much for keeping this game alive and allowing us to join you in adventures again!

Edited by quill

7 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

The respect trials were a feature of the game many years before respec recipes and free respecs existed. They used to be quite the challenge!

In fact, the devs had to dial back the original respec trial because players were running them in order to be able to fix a screwed up build, sotthey were gimped going in and had extreme problems completing the trial. Years on, the "I screwed up bad" population is much lower, so between more knowledge going in and the free respecs, it's much less likely that a character will be running the trial because they have a badly-pessimal build.

• Like 1

I hit 'tab' and posted before I finished. 🙂

Indeed I played on live, and they were very challenging!

Question:  if the coding/mechanics (under the hood) of the game allowed a character after creation to change power sets.

If not: it makes my suggestion of adding that ability as a reward to the respect trails, irrelevant.

Just throwing it out there.

36 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

In fact, the devs had to dial back the original respec trial because players were running them in order to be able to fix a screwed up build, sotthey were gimped going in and had extreme problems completing the trial. Years on, the "I screwed up bad" population is much lower, so between more knowledge going in and the free respecs, it's much less likely that a character will be running the trial because they have a badly-pessimal build.

That’s interesting to know. I have memories of the reactor going off on failed trials before, not something you could ever imagine happening thesedays!

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

That’s interesting to know. I have memories of the reactor going off on failed trials before, not something you could ever imagine happening thesedays!

Yeah. Seeing a team flop out the reactor doors on a failed respec when *your* team was about to go in...

• Like 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

1 hour ago, quill said:

I hit 'tab' and posted before I finished. 🙂

Indeed I played on live, and they were very challenging!

Question:  if the coding/mechanics (under the hood) of the game allowed a character after creation to change power sets.

If not: it makes my suggestion of adding that ability as a reward to the respect trails, irrelevant.

Just throwing it out there.

It takes 3.5 hours to PL a new character, keep the old one as your main and make it a sibling for background.

Its impossible to change powersets, its baked in like origin.  COH was supposed to be free form during design but went with AT instead..

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

36 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Yeah. Seeing a team flop out the reactor doors on a failed respec when *your* team was about to go in...

I remember seeing that (and being the flopping team) more than a few times. I had an Ice/Ice blaster that I totally messed up, took Hover and Fly, then combat jumping and Super Jump, and probably Heal Other or something from the Medicine pool as well. By about level 22-23 they released the respec trial. I remember grinding to get him the last level or two needed to be able to run the trial.  My team was so gimped that we couldn't complete it. I finally was able to get on a team that was running it for the challenge and they didn't mind dragging me along. It was glorious to be able to respec him in to a "decent" blaster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

It takes 3.5 hours to PL a new character, keep the old one as your main and make it a sibling for background.

Its impossible to change powersets, its baked in like origin.  COH was supposed to be free form during design but went with AT instead..

The PL to 50 isn't the issue. the PL to vet level 20 and 2nd tier Incarnates is another matter. I know, I know, I know it is my fault for not switching sooner. Luckily and Happily the bubbler is NOT my main. I doubt I will go through all the expense of leveling another one just to get the perfect secondary power set.

I will take everyone's word that it is impossible to switch powersets. I was just dreaming if it was possible (as in: they just had to switch a button with the code) that would be a great reward for doing the respect task force. 

On live, I flopped many times before I ended up in a great SG that had a stone tank and a storm defender that kicked butt in the reactor room.

Thanks again for the replies everyone! I hope to see you in game sometime 🙂

• Like 1