Optional "Easy" Incarnate System

For the 'purists' among us, it can feel awkward to be slowly dolled out access to our incarnate abilities once we hit level 50. As someone who really enjoys the challenge of earning what they use in a game, it can quickly feel like I'm playing with cheat codes as I am gifted Incarnate Thread after Incarnate Thread for beating on hellions with somebody on my friends list.

Completely glossing over the discussion of easy mode and the effects on the level 50 scene, which I'm sure merits discussion (but I'm personally not super interested in), I'm sure there's a handful of us who would really enjoy an option to disable all the rewards we are served merely for continuing to play once we hit level 50. Is there any chance we can get an option to turn off Veteran Levels and Incarnate Thread/slot experience gain from non-Incarnate content?

----

----

CLARIFICATION:

In light of the responses below, I should note that turning off XP does not disable Incarnate XP and Incarnate Thread gain outside of Incarnate Trials/Dark Astoria - only the Veteran Levels, themselves. This suggestion pertains not simply to disabling Incarnate slots and abilities, but is rather a suggestion to enable an option that allows players such as myself to earn them the way the game intended them to be earned.

Yes, we can manually delete salvage and try to keep track of how much progress we've made on our Incarnate Slots, but it can get tedious. Especially if you have multiple characters. An option to play Incarnate content in a more vanilla format would be something I would hugely appreciate.

I also confused Incarnate Shards with Incarnate Threads for the first page of this discussion thread. Please read all references to Incarnate Shards as Incarnate Threads. Sorry for the confusion. :P

@Solvernia

To my knowledge, turning off XP doesn't solve this problem.

Gaining Veteran levels requires earning XP, so if you disable earning XP you don't get Veteran levels.

You still get Incarnate threads/shards from normal content, but you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

you don't have to use the shards you get through non-incarnate content if you don't want to

also if you disable XP you do not earn XP even at level 50, which is what gives you the veteran levels you don't want

I don't want to micromanage my shards and manually add or deduct them based on the value I've collected through Incarnate trials. Nor do I want to have to refer to graphs to inform me when I have or have not earned my next slot. I've avoided playing level 50s because it is the only 100% certain way to avoid Veteran rewards and the easy incarnate rewards system that is tied to it.

This is a suggestion for people like me who do not want to participate in the easy incarnate system. Not a suggestion to include a salvage/experience micromanagement mini game. Assuming this fix is as simple as creating a switch to disable the new system, I think this could be a good alternative until(if?) the system is retuned later.

Just as a point, Incarnate Shards were earned from non-incarnate level 50 content back on live as well. Incarnet XP wasn't, but since actually unlocking the slots is pretty fast anyway that's not a major issue.

I looked this up and you're totally right. Incarnate shards were enabled to drop from any non-grey enemy in 2011. The drop rate seems significantly increased as compared to vanilla, however. My Bane Spider is sitting on something akin to 200 shards after a pair of ITFs, which does not seem remotely consistent with the math on https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Shard_Component

It is somewhat stomach churning to be given so much for free. An option to halve drop rates seems absurd on its face. Maybe I should just be the annoying guy picketing for the old Incarnate System.

That or play exclusively on the I24 server. =P

@Solvernia

My problem isn't incarnate content. It's with the changes made to the system. I think I've already made my position very clear in that regard. Read what I've said and you should be able to understand why turning off XP - which I've done - has not solved this particular issue, and why this suggestion thread was made.

Just as a point, Incarnate Shards were earned from non-incarnate level 50 content back on live as well. Incarnet XP wasn't, but since actually unlocking the slots is pretty fast anyway that's not a major issue.

I looked this up and you're totally right. Incarnate shards were enabled to drop from any non-grey enemy in 2011. The drop rate seems significantly increased as compared to vanilla, however. My Bane Spider is sitting on something akin to 200 shards after a pair of ITFs, which does not seem remotely consistent with the math on https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Shard_Component

It is somewhat stomach churning to be given so much for free. An option to halve drop rates seems absurd on its face. Maybe I should just be the annoying guy picketing for the old Incarnate System.

That or play exclusively on the I24 server. =P

Hearing a whole lot of hyperbole here, 200 shards from a pair of ITFs? I call bull, I have around 60 shards from MANY TFs and 24 veteran levels of XP, threads is a different matter as you get those as you get veteran levels.

@Solvernia

My problem isn't incarnate content. It's with the changes made to the system. I think I've already made my position very clear in that regard. Read what I've said and you should be able to understand why turning off XP - which I've done - has not solved this particular issue, and why this suggestion thread was made.

ah yes, the age old argument

3198pk.png

@Jaguaratron

You are correct! I knew that something was off about earning my Incarnate salvage, but it was threads - not shards (of which I only have 4). I am currently sitting on 272 Incarnate Threads and it was THREADS that you could not earn from normal enemies (according to: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Thread_Component )

Thank you for the clarification, it's the threads that are dropping in excess. I opted out from level 50 content, so I'm sorry for getting the terms wrong. It's been ages since I actually invested in an Alpha Slot.

@Solvernia

Are you here for anything more than to argue that I'm wrong for not wanting to use the easy mode features? A button made to opt out from these features has no bearing on how you play at ALL. :P

It might be possible that the devs could implement a "Refuse all Incarnate Thread" buff at the P2W  vendor. Much like they have for Insps and recipes.

Now it would be up to the player to cancel this buff before they join Itrials.

If you disable XP at level 50 and used said buff, it would be pretty vanilla outside of the incarnate XP gain, as afaik you can't turn that off

Everyone seems to be jumping the OP. But all they want is an option; they aren't asking for a global nerf. Noting wrong with options, so long as they don't take away a huge amount of dev time. Which brings me to the 'Standard Code Rant', as I have zero clue how tough such a change would be to implement xD

It might be possible that the devs could implement a "Refuse all Incarnate Thread" buff at the P2W  vendor. Much like they have for Insps and recipes.

Now it would be up to the player to cancel this buff before they join Itrials.

If you disable XP at level 50 and used said buff, it would be pretty vanilla outside of the incarnate XP gain, as afaik you can't turn that off

Everyone seems to be jumping the OP. But all they want is an option; they aren't asking for a global nerf. Noting wrong with options, so long as they don't take away a huge amount of dev time. Which brings me to the 'Standard Code Rant', as I have zero clue how tough such a change would be to implement xD

This would totally be a serviceable slap patch. I can't stomach all the free rewards, and merely being able to opt out until I've earned the slots, or have fully IOed out and what to take it the next level would make a huge difference.

I'm still not seeing where the problem is, if you don't actually use the threads and merits you're earning post-50.  Yeah, you're getting them, but they will just sit there in a pile until you're ready to use them.  You might even hit the limits on having them and then not earn them at all until you spend some.  No one is saying you have to cash them all in at once.  You can still be miserly with them and spend them like you would have before the adjustments, and progress the way you want to, without anyone having to spend even 5 minutes coding something that you seem to be the only one that wants to make use of.  Does it really bother you that much to see a couple of hundred threads, or a pile of Emp Merits sitting there in your inventory?

This really doesn't seem like a huge issue, as long as you disable XP at 50. You'll still be getting thread drops from all content, yes, but making any incarnate powers past the uncommon level with thread drops alone is hugely time-consuming. There's still plenty of incentive to run incarnate trials. It's when you are earning veteran levels and getting the massive dumps of threads and Empyreans that incarnate trials stop being so necessary.