Help with Energy/Regen???

damnimgood

I have a energy/regeneration Hero. I want to do some major damage but protect myself. Obviously I can't just run into every battle, but I definitely want to put the major hurt on some baddies. Help with build please? 

Needs:

Maxed Damage & Defense (I know it's a Sentinel)

Ion Core

Nova

Managed KB

Flight (Regular OR Mystic)

Got a build for me?  🙂

Edited by damnimgood

(Edit 2)

In hindsight the original reply was too much and the effort seems largely wasted.  However, there may be value n a TL;DR version.  

Big PP damage for Sentinels is consolidated into Mind Probe + Dominate from Psionic Mastery.  The damage potential of these two attacks alone can eclipse the contribution of most primaries.  This is a universal thing that can be abused on any Sentinel.  There are a number of threads discussing this so no need to elaborate here. 

Energy Blast can make use of some proc damage to help close its damage weakness.  This comes at the expense of pushing full sets for things like recharge and defense bonus.  

Regeneration fundamentally thrives off higher hit points and recharge (to a degree).  Stacking additional defense requires a combination of power selection and full set bonuses.  

Maxed defense for Regeneration is in direct competition to maxed damage for Energy Blast.  It isn't possible with the IO sets available to Sentinels to make a character that fits both.  

Managing KB is a player skill issue.  If Hover is taken it can used to place the character above enemies and fire down.  That will shoot them into the floor.  Using walls can also help limit scatter.  This can be difficult for Explosive Blast and Nova, but it is worth practicing.  

EB core powers are pretty much all but Focused Power Burst and Power Blast.  Energy Torrent can potentially be skipped in favor of something else.  

Regen core powers are all but Second Wind and Moment of Glory.  The later two powers can be useful but they are optional depending on goals.  

Taking all of the core powers is only 14 out of all power selections.  Hover, Flight, Boxing or Kick, Tough Weave, Mind Probe, Maneuvers, and Link Minds can all be taken.  

Exact set bonuses will depend wildly on preference and funds.  

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, damnimgood said:

I didn't. I still would like a build though.

Oldskool already replied to your original request:

19 hours ago, damnimgood said:

Help with build please? 

... and put in quite some effort to give you good advice. Surely you've been working on your build before asking on the forum, so perhaps if you just share what you already have we can help you finetune and minmax the living hell out of it.

(Edit 2) 

This original post included a build, but ultimately I wasn't that happy with it personally.  The requestor finally got the build they kept asking for so keeping it here no longer seems worth it to me.  Especially since it isn't something I really felt comfortable endorsing.  

When it comes to making up builds on demand it becomes a chore to do.  There are just too many questions to ask and no real answers to formulate a better path.  This would mean I would need to craft multiple avenues to answer the original question.  This is the entire reason why giving advice was the first decision made.  

Edited by oldskool
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, damnimgood said:

Must've found one of the few who isn't like the rest of the community..figures.Doesn't matter I got what  I needed.Goodbye.

I regret responding to this thread. 

In hindsight, I don't think anything I posted was as helpful as I had hoped it was.  It was also probably harsher than I really intended it to be and I shouldn't have done that.

I started with both an explanation of powers which were core to your request and ideas on how you could do it yourself.  You had a roadmap to success at your fingertips.  You had enough information to do it on your own.  You kept asking for a build.  

So I gave you one.  

Like you noted, you got what you wanted not what you needed.  Your post history shows little more than a various collection of "help with build" threads.  You haven't contributed anything to the community that I can see.  I see little moments in your history where you actually thank people for offering advice.  You only seem to bother when they dump something from Mids.  

Goodbye indeed. 

Edited by oldskool

@damnimgood

@oldskoolis probably one of the best sources for sentinel information in this community.  Any advice from them is worth considering and given their contributions to the sentinel community it is only right to show appreciation for their help. 

I am usually more than willing to put builds together and post them with the caveat that I never claim they are the best. I also like to put in a little explanation for my build choices. 

That said, it is always best to try to build on your own first. You learn a lot about making builds when you struggle through some on your own. This also helps you to appreciate the builds others post for you. 

I never used mids or even IOs on live. I didn’t even download mids until earlier this year and had no clue how to put a build together. But I struggled through it, asked for advice, asked for reviews, and got better at it. I am now comfortable making my own builds for the archetypes I play. 

I feel like your responses in this thread don’t show very much appreciation for the help you got.  This will make people less willing to help you out with builds and advice. 

TL;DR:  @oldskoolis a great source for advice on sentinels. You are more likely to get more help when you show what you’ve already put together on your own. You will get even more help and advice when you show sincere appreciation for the help you received.  

I’m honestly not trying to disparage you. Truly, I’m not. I’m just trying to help you out by showing how your responses in this thread are coming off compared to how the community generally gives and receives advice. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

Saikochoro,I do appreciate all help given,including OldSkool's. I HAVE tried several builds but they do not work. And yes,OldSkool I have asked for a lot of build help because I just don't "get it" no matter how much I tried. And I have tried a lot. But..I felt your tone was a little demeaning. And Underfyre,I didn't demand I asked.Get your facts straight before you talk ok :)

Ok.Now I'm out.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:07 AM, damnimgood said:

Saikochoro,I do appreciate all help given,including OldSkool's. I HAVE tried several builds but they do not work. And yes,OldSkool I have asked for a lot of build help because I just don't "get it" no matter how much I tried. And I have tried a lot. But..I felt your tone was a little demeaning. And Underfyre,I didn't demand I asked.Get your facts straight before you talk ok 🙂

Ok.Now I'm out.

I know you may be pointing your demeaning comment towards Oldskool. However, I understand that my tone may also have been demeaning. I can try to work on my tone in the future. I honestly just was trying to point out how you were coming across in the thread that was eliciting the reactions you were getting. My intent was not to be mean, but rather offer constructive criticism. 

I think back to last year when the servers were still fairly new. There was a huge thread discussing patch notes that included some nerfs to DFB. There was a lot of very heated arguments. I got way too heated and became downright insulting to a well respected member of the community @SwitchFade. It is probably my most embarrassing moment on this or any forums.  @SwitchFaderesponded in a very calm manner and showed me by example how to conduct myself even during arguments on the internet.  I have tried to keep my failure below in mind whenever I post. 

Excerpt below:  You may have to scroll up a bit:

So, I am not speaking from a high horse. I have been downright awful on the forums. I am speaking from experience. I am honestly just trying to point out how you were coming across so that it could perhaps be a learning moment. It was not in effort to tear you down. 

Edited by Saikochoro

Social distanced hugs,Sakiochoro and OldSkool.   🙂

I really am trying to "get it" but for some reason I can't. IDK. My learning disability kicks in I guess. Cheers 🙂

If either of you have a mids build for energy/regen I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Edited by damnimgood
  • Like 1

I don't mean this question to sound like a put down, but what don't you get?  Is it power selection?  Is it what sets are good?  Is it order of power use?  

If you have a build right now, or the one I had up for a limited time before, and you're still struggling it is easier to help when the problem is clear.  Just giving out a build doesn't automatically make a character good either.  

You noted before about damage for a Sentinel.  So you seem aware that there is a damage ceiling on the AT.  There is an even lower ceiling on Energy Blast.  So making a build do "good damage" is all about subjectivity.  What I find to be acceptable may not be acceptable to you.  

You may not have *any* issues what so ever regardless of learning disability or not.  It could be a combination of factors like high expectation or just lack of practice in execution.  

If you can help me understand what you're not getting, then it makes it far easier to help you tailor something you may like.  Also, Energy/Regen just may not be the character for you, but let's try to figure out answers to the questions above first. 

Edited by oldskool

The question is about the power sets for this build.

The L.D. is legit. In a school for it now.

It's too late for it not to be the character for me. I got this sucker up to 50 and I'm ready to pull the trigger on spending the inf. needed, but I'm just not sure of the power sets.

Unfortunately I don’t have much experience with energy blast so I would have to defer to people with more experience. 

However, some general points of advice I follow to maximize damage potential across pretty much all of my characters:

- Higher global recharge will push your damage. Even if you may not have a single high damage attack, when you can cycle through your attack chain quickly you can do good damage. This is why most people focus on high DPA attacks because there is a point to where you are slowed down by animation times instead of cooldowns. 
-Procs will help increase your damage. Again, I don’t play energy blast so I don’t know what procs are available, but ranged damage in general has a least the gladiator javelin and apocalypse procs. I am assuming you will also have access to the procs in the knockback category.  Procs do better in longer base recharge powers that don’t have a ton of recharge slotted. Procs go hand in hand with high global recharge. 
- Get your survivability to an acceptable point and then push the recharge and procs.  I havent played sentinel Regen, but I have played the melee version. I focus on getting my clicks recharging fast (global recharge helps with this) and my resistances to a good level. As a by product my defenses are usually at a middling level. I also take rune of protection on my Regen characters (purely personal preference) on that one. 

So, a lot of this will come down to what your budget is for your character. Pushing recharge can get pricey if you are using purple sets and ATOs. There are cheaper options that will push your recharge, just not as much. The purple sets also offer the best procs.  What is your budget?

Edited by Saikochoro

12 hours ago, damnimgood said:

Ok,it's 863 Million. They WERE holding out on me. Bastards.

You can build pretty much whatever you wanted with that level of investment.  I'd still highly recommend being patient with your purchases.  You may already do that, but I feel it is worth stating.  [What I mean here is putting in bids on IOs and waiting for a as long as you can vs buy it now pricing.]

So what is more important to you?  Defense or damage?  Regeneration isn't a set known for its ability to just avoid or soak damage.  The set heals and that's about it.  Energy Blast has a low ceiling on where it can perform but if you dive into the Psionic Mastery pool it can get a lot better.  

Sentinels in general struggle with damage when using full sets and Energy Blast struggles there too.  How important is it for you to have Knockback or Knockdown?  

Now that I know your budget it gets a bit easier to understand what kind of slotting can be done.  Now comes the tough questions part because the Energy/Regen combo just can't do everything you asked.  You can stack damage and you can build some more mitigation.  However, you can't max both because the concepts are just in conflict with the two sets due to their design.  Adding in knockdown to control knockback just makes this worse.  

Edited by oldskool

2 hours ago, damnimgood said:

Well,having to be healed or rezed over and over does get annoying,even though being an offensive character it can come with the territory. Can there be a balance?

What I currently have is knockdown only on Nova. The rest I'm ok with nothing.

This is helpful, thank you.  

There can always be balance within a character build.  The value of that balance is completely subjective.  I feel a responsibility to explain my choices, and I am going to do that.  I'll watch my tone, but this is intended to teach not demean.  I have very strong feelings against dumping builds without discussion.  I know it looks simple AF for some, but it really just isn't.  There is a lot of thought that can go into this and it is easy to F up in real play.    

First off, Regeneration is notorious for being a set that requires healing and rez.  Sentinel Regeneration has some strengths that the melee version doesn't have, but it is still Regeneration.  It still holds some fundamental babysitting issues and those are very tough to overcome completely.  The set relies heavily on passive healing which is the weakest form of damage mitigation this game has.  In addition to this, Regeneration needs to balance cooldowns like Reconstruction to have burst heals.  

I happen to personally like Second Wind and Moment of Glory.  However, these two powers have cooldowns that are about 90 seconds even with high global recharge.  When you get more comfortable with how Regen plays you could explore those two powers later.  I'm skipping them in this build because I feel their use is a lot more advanced.  

Success with Regeneration builds lies in practice and recognizing windows where you can safely go nuts as well as when to back off.  Here is how this build tries to help you: 

1) Hover is slotted with a set for defense but really I want you have some better flight speed for combat hover.  This is so you can choose when you want 360 degree movement control like hovering overhead to shoot down into the floor with KB powers.  You'll need to practice when to weave in for Mind Probe/Nova and when to let heat die down.  Sometimes eating too much aggro just happens. 

2)  Most of your defenses are around 25%.  Barrier Core Epiphany is a suggested Destiny.  That'll grant you 30% total defense for most of that Destiny's duration once you hit T4.  A small purple inspiration gets you just shy of soft-cap defense.  Please note, enemies that use lethal damage will strip your defenses quickly if even one hit lands.  Cimo's with their broadsword attacks will chunk your defenses in melee range in seconds.  AVs with radiation powers will put you into negative defense in a few hits. 

3) Resistances in this build aren't really a focus but Smashing/Lethal is 54% which is respectable.  Barrier also buffs this by the same 5% for the remaining effect duration.  Rebirth is an alternative Destiny that has synergy for you.  

Note that Accolades are selected.  Accolades are important for Regeneration because they boost your hit points which is how health regeneration scales.  The Judgement is the one you want.  The other Incarnates are all offensive focus and my preference.  Those are my standard recommendations but other variants are valuable in their own way.  

Attacks.  This is where the struggle for balance exists.  This is really backloaded because Mind Probe and Dominate carry your damage.  That means exemplaring for lower level Task Forces may feel like your damage is tanking.  It will.  That's a problem with Energy Blast and Sentinel design.  I can't fix this in a build. 

For tough targets and you are at range: 

Dominate -> Power Push -> Power Burst -> slight delay -> Power Push -> Power Bolt -> repeat until dead.  

For tough targets and you are in melee: 

Dominate -> Mind Probe -> Power Push -> Power Burst -> slight delay -> Power Push -> repeat until dead.  Use Power Bolt only when Opportunity is active or as filler when enemies are out of range as above.  

The slight delay notation is because Power Push recharges every 2.5 seconds and Power Burst animates in 2.244 seconds.  So there is going to be a slight pause before you can use Power Push again.  That delay is totally fine and just being a little patient is better for your damage.  

Focused Power Bolt does more direct damage and could be substituted for Power Burst if you want.  These two powers a fairly close in effectiveness.  I opted to keep the one with the slight faster casting time for more reasons than I am going to explain here.  Power Blast just isn't necessary in this build so it is skipped entirely and not recommended at all. 

For AoE just use Energy Torrent, Explosive Blast, and Nova as you need. Fill in with Dominate, Mind Probe, and Power Push as priority powers where you can.  You could further backload this by dumping Energy Torrent and shifting several power selections earlier to maybe open up Psychic Shockwave.  6pc Obliteration is a good set option as an alternative.  I didn't consider this at first, but I want to bring it up as a possibility.  

Power selection order wasn't done with any idea towards complete optimization.  Power Burst opens up at level 6 but is delayed to 26.  I wanted to have the flight powers as early as I could tolerate and Hasten.  I prioritize AoE for early play and Regen powers as primary defense early on.  This isn't set in stone and you can go with what you want.  However, the intent of this design is to really just focus on higher level play because that is where it is strongest.  I always try to be sensitive to the idea of lower level team play though.  

All of that said, I do not claim this is perfect.  I am sure someone more savvy/creative than I am can do a better job.  Still, this should give you some ideas.  Also, pushing damage further likely won't net you huge gains but it could impact your defenses.  The reverse of this is also true where a heavier push on defenses will lower your offense.  

Good luck.  I hope this works for you. 

Spoiler

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1562;722;1444;HEX;|
|78DA6594CB4F135114C6EFB453A12D8FD2166885822D8FBE606885851A8D89528C0|
|249038A2BD30CF45A86D481D02E64E9BFE0C6AD5B366EFC377CEE1070A5C627A2A2|
|71A5F5CC9CCFD2A49336BFDBEFDC73CF77EEBDD3F9BBD36D8FAEDCBB28948ECB65B|
|D52292C4AB36A98B2EC9AD74BC68AB09E16FAF6FFD70B0BBA5992452D67CACDD256|
|E112255523F5E0B4BC2DCD8AD4166449D204BD6AAC9BC29B5F5F2F6B3365A3B45AF|
|5D8E3C50D298BED2C5BAA619682F6AF39A917E56665D5D8282CCBAA1ECE6D182B5A|
|7DF57CC528CC533DB9B915224F1A7D0FE3024FCD255EAA426455D1F682D9F1047CC|