Accuracy vs to-hit

Snarky

59 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

An easy way to understand ToHit is it is the exact dead opposite of +Defense. This is especially useful when thinking about how much protection powers that do -ToHit provide.

If you have 20 Defense and hit an enemy with -10 ToHit, you have 30 Defense.

yeah, i am starting to "feel" that.  i am an invulnerable brute addict, and i use Hyperstrikes bulletproof builds for that.  Now i am on a Dark, my top Def is a melee 32%.  But i am semi-stealthed.  i have a confuse aura and a fear aura.  and every one of my attacks (dark/dark) is -tohit debuffs.  i can get pasted.  but it is darned rare.  i built up my resists and have one of the best heals in the game, so rarely do i fall.  It is a shockingly tough design after being cultured to 45% softcap+more in incarnate.  and no def debuff protection.  i can solo the itf altar scene on +4 and rarely experience difficulty.  

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

yeah, i am starting to "feel" that.  i am an invulnerable brute addict, and i use Hyperstrikes bulletproof builds for that.  Now i am on a Dark, my top Def is a melee 32%.  But i am semi-stealthed.  i have a confuse aura and a fear aura.  and every one of my attacks (dark/dark) is -tohit debuffs.  i can get pasted.  but it is darned rare.  i built up my resists and have one of the best heals in the game, so rarely do i fall.  It is a shockingly tough design after being cultured to 45% softcap+more in incarnate.  and no def debuff protection.  i can solo the itf altar scene on +4 and rarely experience difficulty.  

The only thing I'd add is to keep in mind are debuffs are resisted.  So the outgoing 10% debuff might only be effectively equal to a 6% defense buff.  It's almost never a 1 for 1 trade particularly in fights where the defense truly makes it life or tasting floor.  Good thing Dark can pile on a lot of To Hit debuff 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

The only thing I'd add is to keep in mind are debuffs are resisted.  So the outgoing 10% debuff might only be effectively equal to a 6% defense buff.  It's almost never a 1 for 1 trade particularly in fights where the defense truly makes it life or tasting floor.  Good thing Dark can pile on a lot of To Hit debuff 😁

I think my character must be about as evil as one of Those CoT floating spectres.  Once you get debuffed by them you are toast.  Only I also have a stun and fear aura going lol.  It is an evil playstyle.  I started him as a zombie, then morphed into a ghost, then as Dark Armor took over just a ball of blech on the screen.  Then I invested in a full backstory.  Now a Brain in a jar on a giant robot body sustained by dark magic and the strange powers of extra temporal beings.  With no / minimal special effects.  Still just as evil though

35 minutes ago, Snarky said:

as Dark Armor took over just a ball of blech on the screen.  

Agreed it can become pretty hideous. I have one "blech" costume on my scrapper still, which I kinda like in a non-traditional kind of a way. With enough tweaks you can make it so most of the ugliness goes away. I even have a few slots I really enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Sakai said:

Agreed it can become pretty hideous. I have one "blech" costume on my scrapper still, which I kinda like in a non-traditional kind of a way. With enough tweaks you can make it so most of the ugliness goes away. I even have a few slots I really enjoy. 

i actually liked it for a week or so "ghosting" missions.  i just wish i could make a ghost/ghast upper bosy and smoke lower body.  so many possibilities

On 12/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Lunchmoney said:

What is clamp?

Clamping always bounds both your chance to hit and be hit to between 5% and 95%. A level 5 blaster can shoot at a level 45 tank and will still have a 5% chance of hitting him., even if the calculated chance was 0.037%.  Similarly his chance of hitting you is not nigh 100%, but "only" 95%.  If the attack calculation gives a chance to hit between that, 50% say, then clamping is not activated.

• Like 1

-- Rock

On 12/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, roleki said:

Focused Accuracy is a weirdo.  +5% raw ToHit, and a +20% global accuracy bonus is nice (plus some added perception and -ToHit resistance) but that 0.78s endurance cost is a bit steep.  If you slotted a couple Cytos and a Gaussian's ToHit/End it drops to ~0.41s, and if you took Physical Perfection and dropped a couple boosted EndMods in it, you can almost get FA for free.   But that's two powers, ~4 slots and about 90M in inf for ~7% ToHit and some other bits of fluff.  Or, you can pay 4M for a Kismet +Acc, and use up one slot in a power you already have.

That said... I still take FA/Physical Perfection on my Brutes and Scrappers, because if I don't, every time I miss I'll be disappointed that I haven't done everything I possibly could to hit.

That tohit debuff resistance to me is the most valuable part of focused accuracy.  There are very few ways to get tohit debuff resistance (I wish tactics had some), so it is very valuable when you are fighting things like those spectral ghosts where otherwise you are suddenly missing, missing, missing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

That tohit debuff resistance to me is the most valuable part of focused accuracy.  There are very few ways to get tohit debuff resistance (I wish tactics had some), so it is very valuable when you are fighting things like those spectral ghosts where otherwise you are suddenly missing, missing, missing.

Which makes it all the more strange that you don't get any where near as many Spectral Demons in high level CoT as you do in low-mid level CoT.

Low level CoT missions when you get spawns of one Spectral Demon Lord and half a dozen spectral demons.... <shudder>

Edited to add, then mid-high level where Earth Thorn Casters rip you apart with defence debuff, and High level where...  CoT become pretty irrelevant and the only significant -tohit or real solid debuffing comes from Death Mages.  Admittedly, if you don't have mez protection, you can be messed up three different ways at any level by CoT unless you're careful...

Edited by Li_Sensei
  • Like 2