Constant Mapserver disconnect

Ravenspath

Hello,

Looking for some ideas on how to solve an issue.

I recently got a new laptop and am having issues with CoH. I've installed the new launcher and the game launches no problem. But when I get to the character select screen I often get "Lost Connection to Server" or if I can select a toon I will get "Mapserver disconnected" within a minute or two (often within seconds. Every once in a while I can get in and it is stable enough to play.

I have the folder for Homecoming white listed in MalwareBytes and the .exe whitelisted on the firewall. It feels like something is blocking it once the game connects but I can't figure out what it would be as I'm only using Windows Defender and Maylware Bytes.

My connection speed is around 25 MBPS throughout all of this.

CoH ran fine on my previous laptop.

System Model    ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401IV_GA401IV

Graphics NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2060

Ram 16 GB

OS Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at to resolve this issue? I have uninstalled, reinstalled a number of times. I've updated all my drivers, both video card and wireless.

Thank you for your input.

Checking the AV was a good start as is your general firewall options, but checking your network settings on the device is good as well. @GM Tahquitz, you always seem to know something about networking.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 9 months later
On 12/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, Ravenspath said:

Hello,

Looking for some ideas on how to solve an issue.

I recently got a new laptop and am having issues with CoH. I've installed the new launcher and the game launches no problem. But when I get to the character select screen I often get "Lost Connection to Server" or if I can select a toon I will get "Mapserver disconnected" within a minute or two (often within seconds. Every once in a while I can get in and it is stable enough to play.

I have the folder for Homecoming white listed in MalwareBytes and the .exe whitelisted on the firewall. It feels like something is blocking it once the game connects but I can't figure out what it would be as I'm only using Windows Defender and Maylware Bytes.

My connection speed is around 25 MBPS throughout all of this.

CoH ran fine on my previous laptop.

System Model    ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401IV_GA401IV

Graphics NVIDIA Geoforce RTX 2060

Ram 16 GB

OS Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at to resolve this issue? I have uninstalled, reinstalled a number of times. I've updated all my drivers, both video card and wireless.

Thank you for your input.

Hi did you ever resolve this issue?  I am having the same issues with my G14.  I am leaning towards a network issue as I can not hardwire to proof.  No difference on 2.4GHz or 5Ghz, router reset.  Seems to be happening in the last month?  Same laptop in same place played COH fine for a up until consistent errors.  Win Def Firewall turned off, (still disconnects).   Sometimes I will choose a character (it seemingly loads) and it will bring me back to the COH login screen.  Are there game logs? I am not seeing anything in event manager. Any help would be much appreciated!  Community Support and Devs thanks for all you do!

Edited by Sinistar6

Hi. I never did solve it. I gave up after a while. Sometimes I could log on and worked fine. Other times it would disconnect over and over for 10-20 minutes before it became stable. This is the only game or program that I have this issue with. I can play Elder Scrolls Online no issue, run games on roll20 as well. If you can find a solution please post it here as well. I miss playing COH but the frustration of getting it to work wasn't worth it.

There have been quite a few people that have reported these kinds of issues. A little troubleshooting can help to narrow down the source of the problem.

1) If you are playing on any of the North American Shards, try running a character on Reunion ( Germany ), this can sidestep ISP issues between you and the Server. Sadly you may be on say, Spectrum for your Internet, but are passing through other services equipment to get to the servers. If you are on Reunion, try the American Shards and see what happens.

2) Try pumping the brakes on your wireless connection. If there is a latency issue with your WIFI, try running the wireless at 10/100 instead of GIG, this can often result in a more stable connection. A Wired connection is ideal, and if you can take your PC to the router, plug it in and it works fine, you will know for sure what you need to work on.

3) Run the game over a VPN. Not cheap or easy but may give you a more stable connection. This has worked for some, but can be a little intimidating, for some, to set up. 

4) Running /netgraph 1 or /netgraph 2 may let you see the lag as it occurs, which may be helpful.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

i went from wireless to a cord and my disconnects and lag was eliminated.   Maybe my next laptop will have a little more power than this older one. 

and I always say homecoming 64 but client too.  Tequila and 32 bit are the past. 

Edited by starro

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• 2 weeks later

I have a desktop and am having the same issue as of late. Its been running great up to the end of September when it started mapserving me constantly once I logged in sometimes it settles down but it only starts up again. I don't run a firewall and it hasn't done it at all with tequila or with homecoming when I finally downloaded it and started  using it a couple months ago. It started about a week ago or something like that maybe two weeks.. 

I use windows 10 home, Wifi connection (Always have have had no issues until now)

Have you tried any of the options listed above in the post? If so, let us know which ones so we can narrow down the issue.

Marine X

• 1 month later

Hey all, I'm having a similar issue. I log in to a character and within 5 min I get kicked off with "lost connection to mapserver". It only started after I recently downloaded the beta server (which is now uninstalled hoping it would fix issue. It did not 😞). Before that it was working fine. I tried Reunion and still have the issue. Unfortunately, I only have access to wifi. I don't understand what you mean by "2) Try pumping the brakes on your wireless connection. If there is a latency issue with your WIFI, try running the wireless at 10/100 instead of GIG, this can often result in a more stable connection." I also don't know how to check latency either. I don't want to spend money on VPN at point as I want to switch to Linux first. I did /netgraph 1 (and 2) and its all green up to disconnect. Is there anyone that can help with this issue. 

Edited by Kallanni

14 hours ago, Kallanni said:

Try pumping the brakes on your wireless connection

If you go into the Wireless Adapter settings you can specify what speed that it is running at, if at 10, 100, 1000, limit it to 10, 100 and see if it helps. Latency is a killer here and if you are losing packets it can lead to lost connections. Running at GIG is not helping you if you are losing packets.

Marine X

Also, try with your AV and Windows Defender disabled. If netgraph is not showing losses before you drop it is a local issue, restarting the router and modem may even correct the issue.

Make sure you are installed somewhere other than Program files or any Windows controlled area, preferably create a folder called Homecoming directly on your hard drive and install the game there. Gremlins can be frustrating, good luck.

Marine X