Make Hazard Zones and generic Monsters worth fighting.

SableShrike

We have DE Monsters all over the Hive and a few islands in Peregrine, and almost no one ever does anything with them.

There is currently no point in fighting them.

Smaller mobs are much faster to fight, drop the same rewards, and can be soloed by most builds.

So what I would suggest is give the generic Monsters a chance to guaranteed drop something that only they will.  Make them level-scale like Event mobs to avoid 50s hunting low level Monsters.

For argument’s sake have them drop one Enhancement Salvage.  Make the drop list be Converter, Unslotter, Booster, and Catalyst.  Weight it so Booster and Catalyst drops are rare.

This would still give a meta reason to go after Monsters as every kill is a guaranteed Salvage roll versus the incredibly rare chance for Salvage that smaller mobs at 50 have now.

With a Monster farming team you could grind out Salvage, but most of it would be Converters and Unslotters.

With a reason to finally fight Monsters, you could now populate the various older Hazard Zones.  No one spends any time in these.  At launch they were used as farm spots, but now they are well and truly obsolete due to us having Notoriety settings.

Having faction-specific Monsters in each zone would give teams a reason to go there; they could get Enhancement Salvage from the aforementioned change.

Council Walkers in Boomtown, CoT demon Monsters in Perez, DE in Crey’s Folly, et cetera.

Make Hazard Zones actually hazardous.

• Like 1

Er. Perez already has its own (the Kraken.) Crey's Folly already has its own (Jurassik.) THey don't need to be populated by monsters - if anything, people would spend even *less* time in there, then. Plus they'd be nothing but an annoyance when you get sent to them to do missions, whether from tips or as part of an arc elsewhere.

What would bring people in is actual content. Arcs related to the zones. They already *do* have backstory. There's plenty there to explore that could be delved into as story arcs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

What I've always disliked about overworld monsters is that they scale so drastically by level. Usually there is a small few blocks of them that are the "right" level for me and everything else either too low or too high. This leads to circling the same small area of the map hunting the same spawn locations over and over.

I wish there were at least one or two outdoor zones where all of the enemies used invasion difficulty scaling.

I do like the idea of certain enemies dropping certain things, but for me it would be purple recipes I'd be most interested in.

16 hours ago, SableShrike said:

So what I would suggest is give the generic Monsters a chance to guaranteed drop something that only they will.  

Aren't Giant Monsters already the only source of Essence of the Earth?

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

3 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Aren't Giant Monsters already the only source of Essence of the Earth?

I'm fairly sure the Eden critters are just "monster" level, as I recall.

(Edit - yep, just looked. "Monster," not "Giant monster.")

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I just wish there was SOMETHING done with them!

I remember being pumped to hit my first 50 back on Live, swam out to Monster Island, and quickly realized the Monsters were just kinda there.

Nothing unique about them in the meta.  Elite Bosses are better rewarding.  Monsters take far longer to drop and usually require a team.

If they’re rebuilding Hazard Zones with missions I’m all for it.  But they should still look at the generic Monsters!  They’re way out of alignment with every other effort/reward in the game.

Which is a shame!  We need more big stuff to go tangle with.

Edited by SableShrike

On 12/25/2020 at 3:43 AM, SableShrike said:

With a Monster farming team you could grind out Salvage, but most of it would be Converters and Unslotters.

seems to be a disproportionate reward to me.

Maybe all those people that want a hard mode should spend more time on Monster Island.

Maybe the better thing to do is to put the King of Monsters on the Island with them.

Godzilla.gif

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:03 AM, Greycat said:

I'm fairly sure the Eden critters are just "monster" level, as I recall.

(Edit - yep, just looked. "Monster," not "Giant monster.")

The "Monster" rank isn't a real rank, it's just a text replacement and is often just cosmetic. Most "Monsters" have the HP of Archvillains, generally found in missions. The Devouring Earth ones found in zones actually have the HP of Giant Monsters at level 50, but not the flag that makes them scale vs. the level of the person attacking them/being attacked. Because of this they're technically more dangerous than standard Giant Monsters, at least to anyone that's not level 50.

Edited by Aberrant

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!