Scrapper Passive rework?

hiimaura

7 hours ago, aethereal said:

I am told that CoH currently has no concept of "triggered" effects on getting attacked or hit.  That is, there's nothing in code that examines a character that you just attacked to see if they should trigger some power of that character.

Obviously, it would not be impossible to add such a thing, but it'd be a big change.

There are conditionals such as Brute's Fury that check if attacked (not hit, just somebody swings at you) that you get X (fury meter)

41 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

There are conditionals such as Brute's Fury that check if attacked (not hit, just somebody swings at you) that you get X (fury meter)

You're right, Fury does do that.  I wonder if it's some kind of hardcoded exception or if my info is wrong.  So I looked into Ruby's Power API, and it suggests that there is some kind of hook set up for this:

"requires": [
            "target.EventCount>AttackedByOtherClick > 0"
          ],

So that seems like it's a hook you could use for other powers.

IMO, to retain "Scrapperlike" behavior...  Any new/changed inherent should be designed with the following considerations:

= No Fury bar.  The key difference between Scrappers and Brutes is that a Scrapper is "always on" (or "instant on" if you prefer).  I lean mildly towards no stacking for the same reason.
= Little to no direct control over use or effects.  What differentiates a Scrapper from a Stalker is that a Scrapper simply is.

My thoughts run closer to something like Against All Odds from the Shield Defense set.  Rather than a damage boost, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Accuracy or To Hit boost...  Mostly because I think of scrapperlock as being more a product of intense focus than becoming an out-of-control berserker.  (The latter, rushing heedlessly from target to target equates to Fury in my head canon.)

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

My feel for Scrapperlock is pretty much aligned with @Doc_Scorpion's view.  Fury more equates with mindless rage, berserk behavior.  Scrapperlock is more a zen-like focus on your immediate foes where everything else fades into the background with just a hint of cold rage behind it.

And no I don't really think controlled crits belongs on a scrapper,  that's someone else's schtick.