Hybrid Archetype - Disruptor

Silver Aether

Disruptor - Armor/Control

As a Disruptor, you thrive on being the center of attention. You can turn the entire tide of a battle yourself, as you stand at the eye of the storm, and that's just how you like it, with all eyes on you. You are sturdy enough to take the hits this focus brings, but often your enemies are too distracted to be able to do anything at all.

Primary Powerset - Tanker Armors - Main alteration being that AoE abilities (such as Rise to the Challenge) have a wider area of effect since mobs won't condense like a Melee Tank, but a reduced effectiveness.

Secondary Powerset - Controller Primary

HP scaled similar to a Brute

Inherent Ability - Fixation - Control powers exert a Taunt effect, drawing focus on anyone hit by a secondary power. Additionally, for each enemy under a control effect Disruptors receive a small buff to Regen and Recovery. This allows them to handle all the focus these abilities bring. 

• Like 1

Since you dont want to intrude into tanker territory, specially with a secondary effect being a buff to regen/recovery, i think scrapper level resistances/defense would be more appropriate. 

Also the Control powers would have to be adjusted in magnitude/duration so not to out-perform the main control ATs: controllers and Dominators.

37 minutes ago, MoisesG said:

Since you dont want to intrude into tanker territory, specially with a secondary effect being a buff to regen/recovery, i think scrapper level resistances/defense would be more appropriate. 

Also the Control powers would have to be adjusted in magnitude/duration so not to out-perform the main control ATs: controllers and Dominators.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking a weaker version of those powers, appropriate for it being a secondary. I was imagining it functioning in a Tanker like role, especially with the inherent including Taunt, to take agro as a main function.

One thing you didn't account for...

Damage.

It is fine on controllers because of containment buffs and they get support as secondary.
It is also fine on dominators because they have secondary for that.

While archetype interesting. It is probably just going to Sentinel version 2 again.

Also since control is secondary they have to get ST immobilize lol.

4 hours ago, Darkneblade said:

While archetype interesting. It is probably just going to Sentinel version 2 again.

This.

6 hours ago, MoisesG said:

This.

And, as per the Dominator rule of slotting, you shouldn't need res/def if your opponents are successfully controlled. Plus, a tank is effectively controlling with taunt.

While more choices in archetypes and powers are largely welcome, I personally don't want to see the waters muddied any further and would like original concepts introduced. The Synergist is one such interesting example.

The problem with these middle of the road archetypes is they try do too much without actually accomplishing anything. Guardian archetype as case in point, Sentinel to some extent, although fixes have been proposed.

11 hours ago, Silver Aether said:

Disruptor - Armor/Control

As a Disruptor, you thrive on being the center of attention. You can turn the entire tide of a battle yourself, as you stand at the eye of the storm, and that's just how you like it, with all eyes on you. You are sturdy enough to take the hits this focus brings, but often your enemies are too distracted to be able to do anything at all.

Primary Powerset - Tanker Armors - Main alteration being that AoE abilities (such as Rise to the Challenge) have a wider area of effect since mobs won't condense like a Melee Tank, but a reduced effectiveness.

Secondary Powerset - Controller Primary

HP scaled similar to a Brute

Inherent Ability - Fixation - Control powers exert a Taunt effect, drawing focus on anyone hit by a secondary power. Additionally, for each enemy under a control effect Disruptors receive a small buff to Regen and Recovery. This allows them to handle all the focus these abilities bring. 

This is hilarious. Because I had the same idea and even used the same name for it (Disruptor). 

No, I'm not claiming thief or anything -- I just lost interest in posting theoretical ATs, so kudos to you for chasing your dreams.

However, I'll use the space here for my vision.  Hopefully, you'll be amused at the similarities and see how I solved some problems through needless complication.

Inherent stats: lower range and/or target caps. Something like -30% range on your controls to force a little bit of mid range.

75% resist cap (mayyybe 80)

Inherent, Disruption: The Disruptor and their pets taunt enemies they attack, and their controls inflict a Disruption effect on enemies. For each stack of this effect, your controls inflict a minor amount of additional damage and (?maybe?) have longer control durations, to a maximum of 3 stacks.  Your Taunt aura also inflicts Disruption once every 10 seconds.

But see Control section for the true use.

Armor primary changes: taunt aura is ALWAYS t2, and the area is enlarged.

Control secondary changes: aoe hold (or equivalent) is moved to t9. Pet is moved to t6/t7. 

• T1: this power cancels any stacks of Disruption currently affecting the target. For each stack removed, a stack of Nullification is added, max 3.
  • The aoe Hold, now at t9, always applies 3 stacks of Nullification to all targets hit, turning this power into a Control Nuke.
  • Nullification: for each stack on an enemy, your Controls benefit from increased Magnitude. I would also consider giving the Disruptor a stack of +Absorb every time this is triggered, if necessary for survival (thus also referring to how you Nullify incoming attacks).
  • With the rest of the mechanics, base mag of their controls could stand to be 1 lower than normal (typically mag 2) -- except that aoe hold on a 4 minute timer.

Goals of this setup:

• You choose between a moderate damage increase plus longer mez against weaker foes, and good mag controls. And both require a few moments investing in each fight.
  • I imagine even against fully charged enemies, your damage would still fall short of the modern Tanker, but it would be a super safe AT for solo work.
  • The t1 control you are stuck with maintains purpose as a lever for targeted micro-Domination.
  • Pets come online in the 20s, and further the sense that you break up enemy attack waves more than all-out denying them (the "brick" approach of a tanker)

This all originated for me out of envisioning how Praetorians would divide along AT lines in a more general warfare sense. If Blue focuses on team solidarity and Red on a mix of zerg/overwhelm and creating/exploiting weaknesses, then Gold would be about pressure, disruption, and ultimately breaking enemy formations before they can mount a clean attack. Sentinel as a ranged Scrapper (ranged harassment and counterattack denial), a Control-heavy tank, etc, would fit this approach pretty well.

Cheers

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Grindingsucks said:

75% resist hardcap, I assume?  Interesting concept.

Nah, it's too few for a Tank. 90% or at least 85% l think would work better.

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/