To Be or Not to Be - Spines/Regen Scrapper

the mauler

Hey build associates, my question is this. I had a Spines/Regen scrapper on Live and was considering creating him here but I have read some things in the forums, especially regarding Fast Heal that is giving me pause.

Is it viable to make one on HC or should I consider other options. perhaps Spines/Willpower? I made a Spines/Willpower Brute but it doesn't capture that Scrapper feeling I'm looking for. Any advice?

Your input is greatly appreciated. 

I have a spines/regen scrapper sitting in the high 30s. I have really enjoyed playing it. The only reason it isn’t a higher level is that I get the altitis pretty bad and usually hop around between 8 projects at once. 

I have 3 regen characters that I have built for high regen/healing, high resists, and melee defense on top of good global recharge. I don’t have them incarnates out at 50, but I haven’t been disappointed by their survivability. Spines is good at clearing maps pretty quickly. I don’t see anything wrong with the combo. 

I know most would cry heresy, but I like regen better than will power. 

Edited by Saikochoro

One thing to remember is how easy this game is, and it doesn't really matter. You can make and have fun with any combo of powers. You might not be able to solo everything on max difficulty like you can with other set of powers, but if you like spines/regen it'll work fine for group play, and solo leveling. probably not a powerhouse AV killer for solo challenges or top tier pylon time, but who cares, you got other character slots for that. 

Did they have Spines Bio Armor when you were playing, That might be fun for you.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have a spines/bio that is super fun now but sucked leveling.  I have an Ice/spines tanks. I like those two cause they have two damage auras. Friend of mines main is spines/regen and he never dies. Regen is totally good though. 

6 hours ago, Thrax said:

I have a spines/bio that is super fun now but sucked leveling. 

From the PoV of a Spines/Bio Stalker: Leveling wasn't easy, but the stalker aspect made it fun. I absolutely agree that the combination is much more fun & effective once it has the full compliment of level 50 options (slots, enhancements). I know this is true of many ATs, but I really feel it with this character.

One of the two things I disliked about this combination (that I think also applies to Scrappers) is that I initially (during leveling) felt I needed Weave (taken at 30) for Defense and Hasten (taken at 28) for Offense.. which ended up delaying DNA Siphon until lvl 38. IMHO DNA Siphon is simply too good to put off until such a high level, so I respec-ed swapping the power (level) picks of Hasten and DNA Siphon. I have no regrets: DNA Siphon can be turned into a very reliable PBAoE attack (with %procs) that also increases personal performance.

Stalker-specific gripe follows, forgive me: The other thing I don't like about the combo (on Stalkers) is Spine Burst. It's fine to have on fast moving PUGs, but it strikes me as out of place on Stalkers. I'm not sure I really grok the reason why the Stalker gets a PBAoE attack at lvl 2 instead of the single-target Impale. (-Fly would be so much more useful when CoT start showing up). I can appreciate the theory of making powers with certain damage scales available at certain levels, but Spine Burst was one of those powers I wasn't happy with until I could use it to hold a Very Rare set. I still grumble on low level SF/TF when I have to use it as part of my attack chain!