Completion of Dr. Khan removing Dimensional Grounding Ray

Monos King

This was not always the case, and is irritating to temp/weapon collectors who simply like having the weapon to display. While it is possible to just avoid doing Dr. Khan (which I already did before in fear of this) it makes more sense to simply not allow the power to get rescinded. It is not as though having the power for future runs offers any degree of advantage.

Having the Dimensional Grounding Ray for future Dr. Kahn TFs is a disadvantage, which is why it is now removed.

The Dimensional Grounding Ray only holds a maximum of ten charges.  I've done multiple Dr. Kahn TFs where everyone on the team only had one or two charges each remaining in their Dimensional Grounding Ray from prior Dr. Kahn TFs since you can't manually delete the temporary power.  That lead to the fight with Reichsman taking about a half hour each time.

I'd rather not go back to that scenario of everyone being out of charges and having to fight Reichsman without the Dimensional Grounding Ray.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 3

The power could, instead, be changed to a stacking power with maximum charges, similar to what we see with temp powers available at the P2W vendor.

For example, if it granted 10 charges, with a maximum of 20, then folks with leftover charges from a previous run would still get 10 more charges. Only someone with more than 10 charges going into the TF would not get more.

• Like 5

It is probably way easier to just have completion of the TF remove the temp power than to try to change the temp power itself to allow stacking charges. That being said, seems like a fix to something that wasn't really a problem. You only require one usage of the Dimensional Grounding Ray since the invulnerability doesn't reset. Even if the only person to go in the fourth mission to get the temp power already has it, that means they have the one charge that's required.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

His invul absolutely does reset. Some teams can just kill him fast enough it doesn't recharge, but it definitely happens.

(PS: Making the temp stackable is about as trivial a change as one can make to powers.)

Edited by UberGuy
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm sorry, it does reset. After nearly 3 hours (specifically 9999 seconds):
https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=temporary_powers.temporary_powers.dimensional_grounding_ray

• Like 1

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

15 hours ago, UberGuy said:

His invul absolutely does reset. Some teams can just kill him fast enough it doesn't recharge, but it definitely happens.

(PS: Making the temp stackable is about as trivial a change as one can make to powers.)

The first time I soloed Kahn, the Reichsman fight took an hour 15 about. I used the temp only once. Burk's follow up explains why. Practically, you probably never actually saw it reset. You may be mistaking it for unstoppable, which he pops constantly throughout the fight. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Indeed, I was thinking that his Unstoppable was something the ray removes, but it is not.

Even the 9999s duration on the Grounding effect does not eventually result in his untouchable status returning. Once you ground him, a power on him actually removes several of his powers from him, and nothing ever gives them back. So being grounded is, indeed, forever.

Still, the change to make the beam stackable for people who enjoy collecting the temps is an easy one with few downsides. 10 charges per player in the 2nd-to-last mish at completion is wild overkill - making it stack to 20 would not be a balance issue.

Alternatively, we could make it grant 5 uses and stack to 10. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Yeah, I do agree that removing the temp at completion doesn't really really help anything. It would be less intrusive to just leave it as it currently is considering the chances of an actual issue is so low, but if it is as simple to have it grant stacks as you claim it is, that would be the best route by far.

• 1 month later